Confession Of Pipe Smoke #101: I Am A Wretched Aromatic Fiend

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by RTOdhner, Jun 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I've tried to deny it for years now, but it's time to come out of the closet (so to speak) - I am a wretched aromatic fiend... or a "Conscious Smoker" as MacB use to say in some of their old propaganda.

I love aromatics. Not those heinous goopy concoctions peddled by the likes of Altadis or Lane, but wholesome and time-honored aromatics that are high in Burley (and Virginia) tobaccos, and low in toppings, casings, or other flavoring agents. I'm hopelessly hooked on old school American OTC's like SWR, and Danish-style tobaccos like MacB Golden Extra, MacB Scottish Mixture, MacB Burley London Blend, and MacB Plumcake. Lakeland blends from GH come in at a close second. Hell, I may even defect to Denmark and see if I can be granted some sort of asylum and state-sponsored employment with the MacB company because of my refugee status. (Kendal, England, would be my second choice).

Is anybody else with me? Maybe we can form some sort of political movement and call ourself the PFLA, or the Popular Front for the Liberation of Aromatics. (OK, maybe I'm just trying to find a way to justify purchasing that AK-47 I was looking at the other day).

NoRm, Pschoppy48, Albatross and 4 others like this.
  2. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

What are we going to do with you? :shead:

RTOdhner and Artistik like this.
  3. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Uhh, ummm... maybe y'all could do an intervention and save my soul by "forcing" me to smoke copious amounts of English blends. If you're interested in saving me from my own self-destruction, you can send those English blends to my mailing address at...

Jayson H Bucy and cobbsmoker like this.
  4. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I would recomend that he saves up some money - to follow the recent example of some of his countrymen i.e - a short visit to 'The Elderly Edward Institute of advanced tobacco appreciation'
    OT :bing:

Kiowapipe, jdto, RTOdhner and 2 others like this.
  5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I'm with you - to a degree. You can have the Mac Baren's stuff (although I do love Symphony!) but I really enjoy the G&H Lakeland flavorings. My preference in G&H tobaccos tend towards the flavored ones. I also love St Bruno.

SouthBound and RTOdhner like this.
  6. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

The first tobacco I really fell in love with was WO Larson's Special 2010. I still love it and have some cellared for special occasions.

RTOdhner likes this.
  7. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

well...it's my birthday in a couple of weeks:p::popc:

RTOdhner likes this.
  8. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Ah? Happy Birthday in advance. What's the exact date? I'll watch "Last Days of the Condor" in your honor. :ohyh:

RTOdhner likes this.
  9. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Not one for the burley bombs....seems I have an allergy to them, but I can tolerate something with burley as a condiment. Most OTCs and the majority of MacB blends are burley based, so I avoid them....sorry.

Lakelands however.....ohhh yeah! I have fallen in love with the Brit florals. While not technically a Lakeland, Condor tops my list. G&H Brown Flake Scented and Dark Birds-eye are way up there for me too, along with some of the Kendal offerings. SGs Firedance, along with the black and brown pigtails are great.

RTOdhner likes this.
  10. mtsgsd

mtsgsd Active Member

I've switched from so called english blends to aros my self (for now at least). I used to be dead set against them too. That said I will never ever learn to tolerate floral notes in my tobacco. It's a sin against nature. ;)

RTOdhner likes this.
  11. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

I guess I'm a tobby glutton.. I love 'em all.. in fact, I've only ever had a couple of blends that I didn't at least like.

RTOdhner likes this.
  12. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

I tried Errinmore and it tasted like I was sucking on a can of old lady air freshener. I think that's considered a Lakeland, I just lost interest after 1/3 a bowl.

dhintonca and RTOdhner like this.
  13. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

I'll have a bowl in your honor.

RTOdhner likes this.
  14. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

There are a few ~candy store~ blends I still enjoy on the odd occasion; and have in my cellar for that matter. I still enjoy my intro to pipe tobacco, Amphora (Full Aroma).

RTOdhner likes this.
  15. Marker

Marker Active Member

I like some aro stuff, not massive chocolate or maple what have you. The subtle vanilla and nut room notes are excellent though. I get more relaxation out of a bowl of aro when it is not too strong.

RTOdhner likes this.
  16. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Whatever fork in the road I took has brought me to the same place. I love Gawith Hoggarth. Best Brown #2 is smoldering 4" in front of my nose right now.

RTOdhner and Stonewall like this.
  17. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

As of lately, I am with you as I have been smoking aros more now. I also have 5 more aromatic blends on the way. Maybe it's the Summer heat.

RTOdhner likes this.
  18. MrJarvis

MrJarvis Member

I have 3 pipes dedicated to aros. aros are what got me started smoking pipes, and a constant in my rotation. I have also tired of the super syrupy crap in the jar at the B&M, but my choices are not quite as sophisticated as yours.

Im currently enjoying:
    Middleton's Cherry Blend
    MacBarens Vanilla Cream Flake
    (MacBarens) 7 seas white.

ruralhipster and RTOdhner like this.
  19. MrJarvis

MrJarvis Member

I have something I like a lot that is an english blend. PM me, ill send you some.

I think it tastes a bit like licorice herbal tea

20. Bear84

Bear84 Member

One of my favorite blends is an aro blend of whiskey and black cavendish. Not syrupy but has a nice room note and a good flavor with a touch of sweetness.
    The first step is just admitting it!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.