1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Conical Shaped Bowls

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by afiaowo, Oct 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goat

Goat Active Member

Ahhh.... Got it. And I have a couple conical bowls myself. Never new that is what they were called.

2. Albert

Albert Active Member

Ive got a savinelli dublin with a conical bowl and it is one of my best smokers especially with flakes. A nice air pocket under the flake and it smokes so well!

Monkey and Raffxr7 like this.
  3. Skiballa

Skiballa Member

That's one of the main features of the Kirsten, conical bowl with a screw straight through the bottom to the radiator body. Cannonball/ wad and stuff is the way to go every time, no guessing, no re-packing.

4. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

I have not yet (will NOT use the word "cant") been able to cannonball with the impairment on my bad hand, and the numbness of my good hand. Gravity packing is the closest I can come to it. If anybody has a suggestion or two about cannon balling using the index and thumb of one hand, and the other hand w/o use of the fingers. Index and thumb are partial use and functional. Sorry to hijack this thread, cannon balling has not been my strong point and I'd like to figure out HOW to do it with my limitations.

afiaowo likes this.
  5. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

Hijack away my brother. I would love to help but I need to go find out what cannon balling is. And no pictures of some guy jumping into a pool! :confused:

Raffxr7 likes this.
  6. Hudson

Hudson Member

Not that I know what a cannonball really is but I'm guessing it means pre-forming a spherically shaped wad of pipe tobacco and popping that into the chamber. If I'm right about that then I might suggest a cantaloupe scoop into which you would compress tobacco until you can scoop it into the chamber intact. (for larger pipes, an ice cream scoop may be required)

Raffxr7 and Albert like this.
  7. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Now THAT could work! Every time I tried, I just wound up with tobacco falling through my hands/fingers and a few choice words being said while I tried to scoop it back up and try again. Eventually, I let my efforts go by the wayside. Probably best for my sanity! I will give this a try on my conical large bowled "cavalier plex" which does not have a cap on the bottom as other "cavalier" pipes often do.

8. dbt13

dbt13 Sales Account

I've have a Stanwell for about a month that I've never had a good smoke out of. I always do th 3 step method so after reading this I tried the air-pocket method for first time ever.

HUGE difference. First time I've enjoyed that pipe. Thanks Sasquatch!

afiaowo and Kiowapipe like this.
  9. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

:thu2:

10. mattia76

mattia76 Member

The SQUATCH speaks TRUTH.

I had an old Stanwell Prestige Freehand. Beautiful, Straight Grained, Awesomeness from the 1960's, but with a Conical Bowl that was actually proportioned a lot like that drawing above. The ONLY way it would ever smoke right was to create a plug of tobacco that rested on top of an air pocket. Otherwise, the bottom of the bowl became a soggy mess.

11. phinz

phinz Active Member

Hate them. I have a few. Rarely smoke them.

12. Hudson

Hudson Member

I have two that I've acquired recently, a Ben Wade Prominence and an Eliot Nachwalter/Briar Workshop and I have the same problem with both: I have trouble getting a full bowl lit. I've been packing them just like any other pipe but the area of the tobacco at the rim is such that I have a hard time getting it to burn evenly. By the 2/3 bowl mark, however, I can keep it lit and burning comfortably. But I'm eager to try out the cannonball method advocated here; I have one of those screen tea balls that might be just the ticket.

13. Monkeyshine

Monkeyshine Active Member

I've got a few conical shaped bowls. An old MM Freehand and a CAO meerschaum. They smoke best with a cannonball pack.

Skiballa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.