Consistancy of Cut in C&D Blends

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by nesta, Jun 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

So I'm working through an ounce of Cornell and Diehl's Star of the East. Tasty stuff! Only thing is most of it is a consistant, nice ribbon cut, but every other day I seem to come across some big, tough, reeeeeeeally broad and unevenly cut leaf, as well as stems (thats not so uncommon though, as far as I've seen)

Is all their stuff this inconsistant, or just bulk, or did I just get an off ounce?

2. Zfog

Zfog Member

I have not seen that, but I think it should be expected from time to time from most blenders. There's a lot of output going on. Did it still taste good?

3. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

The only C&D I've smoked was Pegasus, which didn't have many stems or unusual leaves at all. The other is Burley Flake #2, which is a soft flake, so no stem issues there.

4. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Oh yes, I love the stuff and it's not a complaint. When I run across an exceptionally large and uncut bit of leaf, I simply tear it into smaller pieces and put it in the pipe. Smokes great, tastes great, so no issues.

5. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

I've found their bulk to be a little less consistent than their tins. No real complaints though, even considering the bag of OJK that resembled mulched leaves more so than pipe tobacco.

6. SandSquid

SandSquid Member

After touring their facility, and viewing their production first hand, I now regard such inconsistencies as "character" and "charm", paying homage to the true nature of their craft. While the do indeed use machines of various sorts, I don't think any single one of those machines are younger than I am.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.