Contentment or Curmudgeon

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by RevSmoke, Mar 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RevSmoke

RevSmoke Member

I have been smoking a pipe semi-regularly since 1980. I have tried my share of tobaccos. I have gone from the aromatic stage, the Latakia rich stage, to VaPers & VAs. I have never really been a big fan of Burley blends, nor of Oriental blends.

So, some 33 years later, I wonder. Have I become a curmudgeon or am I simply content? And, am I the only one?

I have a couple pipe and cigar smoking friends who have a few years on me, they smoke one blend in their pipe and only one cigar. I do not find the blend nor the cigar they like to be anything that I'd put in my bowl. They puff away and are completely happy, content with what they are smoking. Indeed, they have tried other things that I have pressed upon them and they turn up their nose in disgust. Many are the people that think both of these gentlemen are curmudgeons - they do not try much that is new, including their meals - they like what they like. Sometimes they can be a bit grumpy about it, and they are very opinionated on whatever issue. Are they curmudgeons? Or simply content?

While I have not whittled down the cigars that I enjoy to just one stick, and I still enjoy trying new cigars, life is too short and the times I get to spend enjoying a cigar too limited (right now, 1x a week). I have come to be rather selective - a cigar needs to WOW me if it is to earn a place in my humidor and a second smoke.

This is where this thread comes in. I do smoke my pipe more frequently. But, I find myself wondering, am I have become a curmudgeon? Or am I simply living in Contentment?

I can go downstairs to my tobacco cellar and find close to 30 blends. I have tried hundreds in my pipe career. But I find myself reaching for about 7 of them more than the others, and one in particular sees probably fills my pipes 50% or better of all the times I put one in my mouth. As I don't smoke every day, when I do smoke my pipe, I find comfort in certain blends, they just hit the "zone." Will I still try new things? Sure, but there really isn't all that much new being done.

Before someone asks, the one is G&H Louisiana Flake - the 6 are: G&H LF, SG FVF, Hamborger Veermaster, PStokkebye Luxury Nave Flake, Peter Heinrichs Dark Strong Kentucky, & Escudo.

There are more in the cellar that get dragged out occasionally, but not as often as those, they are those "I have a craving for..." blends. Once that itch is scratched (1, 2, or 3 bowls), I am good for almost a year.

So, am I the only one like this?

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Todd

RTOdhner, dBear, YAPPG and 4 others like this.
  2. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

The way I look at it, if they turn their nose up and are grumpy about it, they are curmudgeons. You, my friend, sound like you are content.

I guess it depends on how receptive someone is to trying something new though. DGErwin11 on this site is known for only smoking Carter Hall in a cob. Not because it is the "best" tobacco, but because it is good. I believe, in his codgerly way, that he is content. Just stay off his lawn.

3. Piperatthegates

Piperatthegates Member

In this age of internet, availability and consumerism we are all being continually bombarded with the thoughts and suggestions that we may be missing out on something if we don't at least try it, which usually means 'buy' it. Over the years I like yourself have tried many tobaccos, I've forgotten more than I can remember, but I have learnt to appreciate what I like and enjoy. Although my search continues as does my interest in unknown quantities, and that applies to most aspects of my life, I am happy to be able to say this is my kind of tobacco and this is how I enjoy my smoking. Contentment it seems can be quite underestimated in this day and age and the search for the absolute. :bing:

4. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

You're contented. But, you can be a curmudgeon if you want to be:)

Basil Meadows and Brit abroad like this.
  5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Normally , I'd have a large amount of a blend and a couple pouches or zips of some bulk stuff to " change it up " at times . Since I came here a few years ago , that's changed . It's not that I need to try stuff , like you .. I started in 79 and have tried many blends , I just enjoy the forum ! If I didn't try blends and trade with you guys ... what the heck would I do here !? I guess talk about pipes and stuff but it's the tobacco blend discussions that keep me hooked . I used to get a 5 lb bag of MB Scottish and be done with it for a while . I could be perfectly happy doing that again but I would feel out of place if I didn't " get in the groove " with all the tobacco talk and participate to some extent . There are many times I think .. Man , I wish there were just 5 blends in here . It will come to that , but in the mean time I'm having fun on the forum . To answer you're question ... It's contentment , imo

6. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

To me, smoking the same blend everyday would be like having a hot dog & beans for every meal of every day forever. I'm not bashing anyone who goes that route - it's just not for me.

7. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

It sounds like you are where I am at, content with your choices and enjoyment of pipe smoking... Every now and then I will try something new and add a sample of this or that to my regular order but for the most part, I have a blending house I prefer over all others and a handful of virginia tobaccos I enjoy on a regular basis, and like you said, there's not much new stuff being done and what is doesn't really interest me anymore.

Basil Meadows likes this.
  8. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

Tom,
    Let me set the record straight. I also smoke meers and briars. But I am happy as a pig in mud with CH. Some of you guys have sent me samples of other types of tobacco. Usually my reaction is "Mmm that is pretty good, but I derive a lot of comfort my my old friend CH."

You really nailed it when you said it is not the best, it is good. I personally would amend that to very good.

And I would probably still be a curmudgeon even if I smoked Penzance in a BST.

9. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

You're saying smoking CH makes you fart?

10. dmkerr

Indeed! But contentment and curmudgeon-ness are not mutually exclusive. You are a contented curmudgeon. :th1:

Old Codger, boiseTim and DGErwin11 like this.
  11. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

No, I'm saying it makes you an old phart.

12. kb7get

kb7get Member

For the first 30 years 1970-2000 I would buy a tub of Velvet or Half-Half, SWR, Granger, Kentucky Club Mild. Replace when needed. Bought a pouch of BR Whiskey when needed to have a case to refill and carry. When the local prices started climbing on those I switched to SP whiskey and Black Cavendish in the 12oz bags and a pouch of 1.5 oz SP wiskey for a carry case from 2000-2012. Then I joined PSF in 2012 and it opened my eyes to blends I could not get locally. I enjoy the pipe more than ever now but you guys have sure cost me a lot of money the last year or so.

13. DGErwin11

Think of it as fueling the economy.

dBear and dmkerr like this.
  14. dmkerr

The economy smells bad enough already, thanks.

15. RevSmoke

RevSmoke Member

Sounds like you are content as well.

But, let us be honest we all have our curmudgeon-y days where just the slightest something sets us off. Doesn't make us a curmudgeon, just cranky that day.

16. RevSmoke

RevSmoke Member

I am not picking on you, but this brings up something I have considered when I look at smoking expenses. Are the "drug store" blends that much less expensive than others to smoke?
    Borkum Riff Whisky is on special right now for $19.35 for 7 oz ($2.85 an oz)
    Half & Half on special $19.39 for 12oz ($1.62 an oz)
    SWR is on special for $31.95 for 12oz ($2.66 an oz)
    Granger is $20.56 for 12oz ($1.71 an oz)
    Kentucky Club Mild is $32.59 for 14oz ($2.35 an oz)

I can see those as being deals, but not by much. By the time I get the bulk version of some my favorites, here is the price per ounce (from the same site as I got the prices for the ones above).
    Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake - $1.77 an oz
    Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake - $1.90 an oz
    McClelland bulk Flakes (2000, 2010, 2020, 2025) - $2.72 an oz
    G&H Louisiana Flake - $3.16 an oz
    Hamborger Veermaster - $4.14 an oz
    Sam Gawith FVF - $4.28 an oz
    AND of course then we should consider that tinned blends are a bit more expensive.
    Escudo $9.51 at 50g tin - $5.50 an oz
    McConnell Scottish Flake $12.11 a 50g tin - $6.88 an oz

But when it comes down to it, at the most expensive listed above (McConnell SF), if we assume about 3.5 grams per pipe, we'd get 14.25 smokes, that is only $0.89 a bowl. Now from a bowl that size, I get about an hour's smoke. On the other hand, the PS LNF above would be $0.22 for a 3.5 gram bowl/an hour's smoke.

If we put that in perspective, I get and hour out of a robusto sized cigar, and even a cheap hand-rolled cigar is going to run about $2.00 for an hour's smoke. I've seen some robustos go for $26.00 or more per stick - that's $26 for an hour's smoke.

A pack a day smoker is spending about $7.25 a day. A pipe smoker smoking McConnell SF, and doing 6 pipes a day at a cost of $5.34

Anyway, just thought I'd throw some perspective out there.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Arkie, Old Codger, Atom and 3 others like this.
  17. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

My cellar probably has 30 or so different blends in it, but there are six that I like best and those make up the bulk of my smoking. Good old SWR is pretty much my daily smoke. This could be the one and only pipe blend left on the market, and it wouldn't bother me. The other five are all MacB blends: Symphony, Golden Extra, London Burley Blend, Scottish Mixture, and Plumcake. These are pretty much uninspiring blends that have been around far longer than most blends (and often longer than most of us) because they are solid, conservative blends - at their best when sipped, and at their worst when the smoker strains to find their brilliance or tries to make them something they are not. They're simply honest blends that were created back in a time when pipe smokers were not looking for an experience.

I think that for many of us, tastes change of the years. Ironically, I think it is also true for many of us that as we mature as pipe smokers our tastes become simpler and we often find ourselves back where we began - with a stripped-down, back to basics, Burley or VaBur blend. No fuss, no mess, no funky room notes, no goopy extracts, and no exotic strains of tobacco. Certainly nothing that requires any great thought when it comes to filling, lighting, or smoking - just light up and let it come to you. Maybe I'm just speaking for myself, but I've seen a goodly number of posts on this forum that suggest that I am not alone on this.

I've been smoking a pipe since 1979, and after 34 years I find that I am most content when I'm smoking the blends (or types of blends) that I just mentioned. Perhaps I am a curmudgeon, but most of the "wow-you" blends leave me feeling indifferent. I do like some fancier stuff, but most "upscale" blends just don't impress me. I'm content with simple blends... with old school blends.

18. DGErwin11

I am a contented curmudgeon.

Old Codger likes this.
  19. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

:beck: What he said .. almost exactly .. even down to the year we started smoking .. lol . I thought it was something I wrote and you hacked my puter and did a copy paste . lol . I'll start the day , everyday , with a bowl of SWR ... sometimes I just get " stuck" smoking it and it's all I'll smoke that day . It doesn't bother me a bit to do so . The MB Blends you mentioned are the blends they originally offered in 5lb bulk and I could smoke any of them and be perfectly happy , though MB GE would edge the others if I had a choice .

RTOdhner likes this.
  20. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

MacB is, I think, the greatest blending house of them all. There are certainly other great blenders out there, but they often put out blends that are just a bit too rich for me or cost more than I think they are worth (or am willing to pay). I think MacB offers top quality leaf at very reasonable prices, and their blends are good to go without any pre-smoke aging or curing required. Plus, the guys who create their new blends and do all the R&D on them before they hit the market really understand tobacco.

Arkie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.