1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Conundrum

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by user3610, Nov 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. user3610

user3610 Member

In October I ordered 2 tobaccos from Pipes and Cigars, and after paying they let me know that my Nightcap is on backorder. It's still on backorder. So, last Friday I tried out I ordered 2 C&D's from Smoking Pipes- figuring I should give them a try. I got an email this morning claiming one of those is on backorder.

After getting some great advice from this forum & others on what tobacco to buy- and then shelling out a decent penny plus shipping on these- it's become absolutely aggravating to order something I want online & get the runaround like this. My local shop has a limited selection- any advice?

2. Capt

Capt Active Member

Are you sure they charged you for the backordered items?

Try JR Cigars online, they always have Nightcap in stock.

Trauma likes this.
  3. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I've encountered this same problem with other Etailers. E. A. Carey's is one in particular that has put me off to no end with empty promises. I don't care for this type of business practice. I find it dishonest frankly...

4. user3610

user3610 Member

The backorder charge has become another conundrum. I say it did charge my account & they say it hasn't.
    I'm finding this shady also. 2 out of 4 tobaccos on backorder is just bad form.

5. Capt

Capt Active Member

I'm sure it you explain to them (over the phone) what the exact charges are on your card, they will fix it. Everyone makes an occasional mistake, P&C and SP are no exceptions.

Old Codger and Jussto like this.
  6. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Sorry to hear of your dilemma! I've never delt with those e-tailers..although; you should never have to pay for a backordered item..

7. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

4noggins has Nightcap in stock too. It's where I usually re-up my stash.

Old Codger likes this.
  8. Imrandy

Imrandy Member

I also have had baco on backorder at P&C and they did not charge me and they sent it soon as it came in then they charged me usually only takes a couple days for them to restock and get it to you Now the reason you say it was charged is the charge back is not instant like the charge is it takes up to 2 weeks for a charge back to show up on an account sometimes longer depending on type.

MikeInMaine and Old Codger like this.
  9. user3610

user3610 Member

I'm not too concerned about the $8.00 or whatever- but why in the world would a relatively popular tobacco be on backorder for a month?

10. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I have had enough orders to have one or two mishaps with SP.com, but I have found their customer service absolutely excellent, so I would say fear not. If your charges have actually posted to your statement, get in touch and let them know, I'm sure they'll fix it. If your order was recent, the charge may just be a hold that will fall off after a couple of business days. Either way you're dealing with stand up folks who will make sure you're treated fairly.

Morse likes this.
  11. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Sales Account

I have had items on backorder with P&C before -- usually it was reflected in the item listing so I knew that going into the order. Usually they charge what they ship plus the shipping charge when the initial package goes out, then just the price of the backordered item (no shipping) when it goes out. They goofed on my last order and rather than messing with a refund and then recharge, they just altered the order (with my permission -- I got 10 x 50 g tins instead of 5 x 100 g tins).

In short I've not had problems. I'm not sure what your credit card says -- has it actually charged, or is it still showing as a hold/pending charge? If the latter, give it a couple days to see what happens. If you have more issues, email Russ directly. P&C had a really bad customer service wrap a few years ago. Russ has really tried to rectify that, but I'm sure things will still get through. russo@pipesandcigars.com is the email address he's shared on another forum.

Skiballa and Old Codger like this.
  12. phinz

phinz Active Member

I've had two out of three orders get messed up in one way or another. I'm going to stick with Smokingpipes from now on.

13. user3610

user3610 Member

Honestly, I haven't watched my account like a hawk- but the full amount was deducted right away. I'd really just like the tin of Nightcap so I can try it. I'm dealing with a guy named Bob @ P&C and Mark @ SP- who emailed me this morning, but I haven't hear back from since. I appreciate the encouragement- I think the bottom line is that a luxury shouldn't cause such aggravation, is what I'm getting at.

Tony Malerich likes this.
  14. Imrandy

Imrandy Member

It does suck but on the flip side the options are 100fold over what your B&M has at least for me they are i have tryed a ton of new bacos i never even heard of till i started to order online

15. krusty

krusty Active Member

Don't let it fret ya overly much. Stuff happens.
    I've a huge order history with both P&C and SP. Both have had a couple of hiccups and both have rectified those issues in stellar fashion.

Old Codger and Jussto like this.
  16. user3610

user3610 Member

Well, I just ordered Ten Russians & Kajun Kake from 4Noggins.
    If one of those is on backorder- I'm throwing in the towel.

17. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

Back-orders happen. I'd rather have a back-order showing than have to go back all the time and check for the tobacco being in stock again and repeating the whole ordering process. I sent a note to a parts supplier last Friday regarding a back-order ETA and got a nice note back today with a photo attached of their flooded warehouse, in New Jersey, enough said. You shouldn't be charged for a back-order until it ships.

18. user3610

user3610 Member

Update: Both guys from each company got back to me this morning to resolve ;)

19. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

I bought something from them that was on back order, they sent me an email stating when they thought it would be in stock and said my account would not be charged until it shipped. They kept their word, they got my tobby 3 days after I placed my initial order, charged my account then and sent it off. Pipes and Cigars is one of my favorite Etailers, my other 2 are Smokingpipes and 4noggins.

Stuff like this happens, if they have a stock of 4 and then 5 orders come in at the same time, obviously 1 person has to wait. That's the name of the game. It's hard to keep an accurate online posting of items in or out of stock for Etailers servicing all over, especially when people are buying more than 1 tin at a time.

As soon as they get it in stock, they'll send it off to you, if you don't want to wait, cancel your order and try to find it somewhere else. I know it can be frustrating when you're looking forward to getting something, place the order on something that says "in stock" to find out it's not. It does tend to happen more in the tobby world I've noticed, especially with popular tobaccos.

My .02

MainePipe likes this.
  20. user3610

user3610 Member

I ordered from 4Noggins last night. They sent me a tracking # with the complete order this morning- so, there is hope :)

N3M0 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.