Cool thing happen on campus this weekend

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by ichabod, Apr 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ichabod

ichabod Member

My wife had to take a test to be certified to teach at the elementary level, I took her to the test and had to wait while she took it since I was her ride.

Anyway, I am still a student at the university having gone back, so I just took a stroll on campus. At one spot I stopped and took out my pipe. I had my cob with me and a pouch of carter hall. I loaded it up and just sat and smoked, it was a really nice day.

At one point a noticed a younger guy and his father were, I'm guessing, taking a tour of campus. His father kept glancing over as they were walking. They got closer and his father came over to me, said "that smells pretty good, what do you have in your cob?" I told him carter hall. He smiled and responded with "great stuff! I used to smoke that all the time." Then they walked off.

Kinda lame, but I thought it was pretty cool especially since I look pretty young and most other students on campus either give me weird looks or ask what I have in my pipe and seem to get disappointed when I say some sort of tobacco.

2. Beale

Beale Active Member

Well I like it? In some ways I am suprised the No Smoke Jokers let you smoke on campus?

I also went back to school at a kat age. I was 35, Beale.

3. Beale

Beale Active Member

4. TheKiltedOne

TheKiltedOne Active Member

I poped outside my local for a smoke a few weeks ago and ran into a guy who thought it was great to see a guy my age smoking a pipe.

5. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

You're lucky. The college where I work does not allow smoking anywhere on campus. I have to sneak into the parking lot of a nearby store off-campus to grab a quick smoke. It's no wonder that pipe smokers are becoming a dying breed.

6. ichabod

ichabod Member

Beale, no problems from the anti's...this time. There weren't a lot of people on campus for a Saturday. I normally don't get harassed anymore. I am an art student and they have the art building a good ways away from the main campus. That's where I am at 99% of the time I am on campus and most of the art students smoke.

I was in the main part of campus though, but I did make sure to light up on a bench right next to an ashtray in case anyone did want to complain. I could point out that I am next to an ashtray which means that YOU are the one in the "smoking section" not the other way around.

Arkie, it's not against any rules to smoke on campus, however they don't want you doing it within 20 feet from an entrance to a building. They have also, slowly, started removing the standing ashtrays they had around campus and started moving them to certain locations, as if they are trying to herd smokers to only smoke in certain areas. It's a little funny because the only thing this accomplished is that there are now cigarette butts littered all over the place.

7. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

My college started out banning smoking in the clasrooms, then in the entire building, then within 20' of the building and now they have banned it from the campus altogether. Fortunately, my office is in a building at the edge of campus. It seems the anti's are never content. I wouldn't be surprised if they started screaming about the dangers of third hand smoke.

8. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Interesting , being half the academia at your college were probably smoking grass and dropping LSD and boinking one another " just cause " ... but youre not aloud to smoke your pipe ... what a bunch of idealists . Which is another word for .. get outta my life , right!? Acedemia .. jeez

9. Beale

Beale Active Member

The place I used to work went from a smoking area to no smoking on the entire grounds. Now people that smoke Cigs take a 10 min walk each way to smoke? Some go as many as 5 times per shift?

I told my ex-boss I was gonna take up cigs. She was like why? I said so I got about 4 hours a day off paid? Beale.

10. ichabod

ichabod Member

Some places are now treating smokers as drug users and won't hire you if you smoke...they will even require a urine test before offering you a job to see what's in your system. I think it's mostly hospitals and such.

Heard that on the radio a while back. Never really looked into it though.

11. TheKiltedOne

TheKiltedOne Active Member

We have a similar situation at my work (sans the walk) a few people have said they're going to take up cigs to get more breaks

12. Schmitz Bitz

Schmitz Bitz Member

That is just freakin' ridiculous. I think the next time I need to make a hire, I'll screen for nicotine, and if you pee clean, you can keep looking for work... Of course, I'll have to face discrimiation lawsuits, but hey.

Ok, so I won't really, the best man (or woman) gets the job, but its fun to think about.

13. ichabod

ichabod Member

Interesting thought though, isn't it basically discrimination? Even if it's in "company policy" not to hire smokers? Smoking is (at the moment) legal. As is alcohol consumption but I can understand companies not wanting to hire someone who drinks on the job. What a person wants to do legally in their own home and time should not have an impact on their job. Can a smoke really hinder your job performance? Even if you agree not to take any extra breaks than what non smokers get? I worked at a place that was strict about their break policy, so I just waited until I was allowed a break.

14. Beale

Beale Active Member

I was working at a hospital. They really had some wired rules in general? No Denium at all any time to be worn. Slacks had to be like Casual wear. No Tats, No more than 2 earings per ear for women, men only could wear a gold stud.

To be honest I do not miss it or the people, Beale.

15. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

I was on campus today in a not uncommon outfit for me, tie, slacks, vest, oxfords, great coat and a wide-brimmed wool hat. I lit up my pipe and someone walking by asked to take my picture.

16. beeftip

beeftip Member

When I was in school somebody asked to take my picture because I was smoking a pipe. Well, more like demanded a picture. They also wanted my finger prints.

17. ichabod

ichabod Member

Sounds like how I would dress if I could. If I wasn't in a painting studio pretty much all day I would. I don't get many chances to dress nice, wish I could, I have a really old pair of florsheim imperial spectator shoes that I would wear everyday if I didn't wear jeans all the time.

18. cellophane

cellophane Member

I used to take non-smoking breaks all the time for just that reason. I would be very clear as to why I was taking my breaks as well.

19. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

No smoking on campus here. Too bad! Campus is where you'll see lots of pretty ladies.

OBD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.