1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Corn Cob Finish

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by DGErwin11, Aug 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

My preference in MM cobs are the great Dane Egg, Diplomat and Patriot. According to the factory section of their website these have a lacquer finish as opposed to varnish on the cheaper pipe. I have notice that after the bowl warms up, the finish feels somewhat softer than when it is cold. Could this lead to finish wearing/rubbing off? If so, is that even an issue? Since I belong to that group who thinks cobs smoke best when broken in and caked like a briar, I wold like to keep these going as long as possible.

2. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

I haven't noticed any problems w/any, although I'm only an occasional piper.

Are you smoking too hot?

3. Beale

Beale Active Member

I have not noticed this on my Cobs? Although the only one of your 3 we have in common is the Diplomat. I will be honest. I smoke mine all the time. If the cob gets a little warm? I just let it go out, and relight when cool. I Dunno? Beale.

4. DGErwin11

No, not hot, just warm asis normal.

5. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Have you noticed any damage on the finishes? If not, I wouldn't worry about it.;)

6. DGErwin11

I wouldn't say damage, but the finish/appearance does change with age and use. Just the nature of the beast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.