corn cob malfunction.

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by smokinjoe, May 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smokinjoe

smokinjoe Member

This is what happened. Whilst I was puffing away. the bottom of the bowl got kinda mushy. Ive not a clue what brand it was but what did I do wrong. Or are they made like that?. Or could it have been the humid weather?.

curios if this ever happened to anyone.

2. OldSchool

OldSchool Member

I had this happen years ago with a natural (un-plastered) cob from a smoke shop years ago. I can't swear it was a Missouri Meerschaum (the only cobs worth buying), but MM has two ways of dealing with this: a logo sticker on the bottom of their regular cob pipes, which reinforces the bottom during the break-in process and should not be removed; or they use hardwood plugs on the bottom of their "high-end" models that avoid this problem entirely.

smokinjoe likes this.
  3. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Some 'natural' bowl bottoms are more durable than others!, but the cobs with hardwood plug are a lot better (see my thread :- 'Hardbutt cobs')
    OT

4. smokinjoe

smokinjoe Member

Old Ted, I saw that pipe you made. Are they for sale anywhere. That modification would solve that mushy bottom issue!

Thanks for that tip.

5. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

Old Ted is a fine craftsman and, whether you're having "soggy bottom" problems or not, one of his pipes would be a wonderful addition to any pipe collection. But----

I've never understood how one could get the bottom of a cob so soggy that it would fall apart. The tobacco must be very wet. If there's a problem with a cob, a briar would be a gurgling disaster I would imagine. IOW, the tobacco is way too wet to smoke.

I've been smoking cobs almost exclusively for two years and smoke natural Prides and Morgans (no hard bottoms) on a regular basis. I've never had to dig out dottle. The tobacco burns to the bottom and falls out when gently tapped. I've never had a cob collect any kind of moisture in the heel. I've mudded the bottom of some cobs and others are untouched and I don't see any difference in those. My main tobaccos are LNF, LTW, Old Gowrie, HOTW and OGS.

So, I'd suggest drying your tobacco and see what happens. (Some tobaccos, i.e. aros, may not dry out well due to humidicants that are added.) And, I'd obtain an Old Ted cob if you can.

WyoBob

Stonewall, Albatross, Old Ted and 2 others like this.
  6. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I've smoked pith bottom cobs for a long time and put hundreds of bowls through them and have never had a cob get a soggy bottom, of course I rotate cobs and let them dry completely before smoking them again, it has also been my experience that they require more dry time than a briar, cobs need to be thoroughly dried out after a heavy day of smoking and this can take several days.

7. smokinjoe

smokinjoe Member

I got it at the indian reservation in south florida. Thats prolly why It broke. no telling where it came from. It apparently was cheaply made?

8. OldSchool

OldSchool Member

To make a long story short, get a hardwood-plugged MM (or an Old Ted model? ;) ) and don't worry, be happy!

Old Ted likes this.
  9. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Most probably a Chinese knock off, I’ve even seen these in smoke shops on a MM board display before, always look for the MM sticker or wood burned logo on the bottom of the cob, this assures a quality cob! ;)

OldSchool likes this.
  10. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Thanks for the kind words! - I always considered myself more adept at carving metals - than wood!. As it happens, I have just carried out a little 'surgery' on a couple of MM Dane spools, one of which can be seen in 'what are you smoking, May', the other is really surplus - as I have a bunch of cobs, so I'm thinking of posting in 'Trades' later this evening.
    OT :puffy:

11. shadow

shadow Active Member

Hi folks!
    I had a similar problem with my first ever cob! The bottom wasn't that sturdy, and I was a bit rough with it when emptying out the ashes.
    An easy remedy for bottom problems is to smear a bit of honey on it, leave to dry for a few hours..... and then just puff away!:toast:

12. smokinjoe

smokinjoe Member

where do you smear the honey? in the bowl? or on the bottom?Its a stupid question but I do not know the answer..

13. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

In the bowl, otherwise your shorts get real messy! :confused:
    sorry couldn't resist!:xd:

14. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Cobs do not need a bowl coating or treatment of any kind, as you burn in a cob the shank will char and burn away providing a protective layer and cake on the bottom of the bowl.

Stonewall and OldSchool like this.
  15. smokinjoe

smokinjoe Member

Thats ok.............I knew I messed up!.LOL.

16. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

I'm a former metal working guy. Riveted aluminum. Just drill 14,000 holes, fill them with rivets and pound away over a 5 1/2 year period, overhaul a 150 hp Lycoming & slap 'er in and away you go-----------------at 180 mph. Nothing to it:)

Every time I try to work in wood, it ends up looking like the birdhouse I made in Cub Scouts. Even Sparrows avoided it.

WyoBob

[​IMG]

Kiowapipe and dwaugh like this.
  17. Hudson

Hudson Member

Pretty bird!

18. shadow

shadow Active Member

You only need a bit at the bottom. Cobbsmoker is also right in saying that you don't really need any bowl treatment for cobs.
    But if you encounter a problem like yours honey is the answer.

19. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I'd use a little pipe mud instead, cigar ash and a drop or two of water mixed into a stiff paste, apply to bottom of cob, allow to cure for a couple of days, should be good as new!

20. Scottly

Scottly Member

I pushed the pick of my czech tool through a MM Legend once. My cobs always look wet. I smoke CH in them, and puff em pretty hard so the moisture is probably my fault.

OldSchool likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.