1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Corn Cobs!

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Paul99, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul99

Paul99 Member

Anyone smoke corn cob pipes? If so whats the benefits of smoking a corn cob pipe ?

2. stummel bum

stummel bum Member

I love mine. You'll find a very cob friendly bunch on here. Check out the budget pipes and tobacco section for more info.

The main benefit is the price, but I think it's great for moisture handling and it takes a lot of abuse. Less maintenance as well.

3. Marc

Marc Active Member

Lots of pipe smokers smoke cobs and all for very different reasons, here's a few, they're inexpensive and helpful when starting out until you have built up a small rotation of pipes, they're fun to smoke great for the outdoors, they smoke cool and dry and it seems they were made for burley tobaccos, they go together like peas and carrots. I have accumulated dozens of cobs over the years and I always enjoy smoking my burley blends in a cob. Cobs are just another medium for smoking pipe tobacco like briar, clay and meerschaums. They all offer something different to the pipe smoker. I would also recommend only Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cob Pipes.

4. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

What Marc said. I would add that if you would like the benefits of a cob, without looking quite so, ahem, 'hillbilly', you should check out Forever Stems at Walker Briar Works, or Jake Hackert's work on ebay...both kick up the appearance of a plain jane cob by a mile. I have 2 Hackerts and a bright blue Walker stem myself.

5. Marc

Marc Active Member

I agree wholeheartedly with yinyang's recommendation also, Hackert customized cobs are awesome for out and about town! And the Forever stems, very cool!

6. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

used properly I don't think you'll find a better smoking engine than a cob anywhere. I have meerschaums, but truly think the term Missouri Meerschaum as applied to a cob is 100% justified.

These pipes deal with the wettest tobaccos, yet manage to preserve the flavour of the smoke; they don't really ghost for long if you let them dry out between smokes, they provide a great smoking experience for minimal outlay and I cannot praise them too highly.

I have yet to find a tobacco that does not smoke well in a cob,

Gerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.