Cornell and Diehl

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by ATXPipe, Aug 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATXPipe

ATXPipe Member

I called them up on Tuesday to order a sample pack, and the experience was so fantastic I thought I'd better go ahead & post it here.

First, I spoke with a person. A real, live person who was friendly and professional and knew what I was talking about when I asked for a sampler. Then, when he asked what I wanted, I told him what some of my favorite tobaccos are, and he replied "OK, that's easy. I'll send you some of this, some of that, a couple of these, and this. Welcome to the family."

I've never tried any of their blends, but after the phone conversation I'm bound and determined to find a couple of them to fall in love with so I can support a business that treats its customers this well. Plus their stuff comes in bulk, so there's that. And it's made in the US so I don't have to worry about it being suddenly unavailable for long periods of time.

So, to recap: Good folks, probably great tobacco, God Bless America, and good night.

2. Capt

Capt Active Member

Yes, great people, great company!

David Emond likes this.
  3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

You're definitely bound to fall in love with at least a few of their many blends. Some of them have set the standards for their genre or, at least, have reached the highest pinnacle set by another blenders product. They truly have something for everyone.

David Emond likes this.
  4. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Viva C&D, baby, viva C&D.

David Emond and jpberg like this.
  5. cigarsarge

cigarsarge Active Member

Best burley blenders around...

Rewster66 and David Emond like this.
  6. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

My favorite blenders. Got hooked on their blends in the late 1990's. I always have more C&D blends on hand than anything else. Their trial packs make it easy and fun to explore their large selection and discover some favorites.

Good stuff!

David Emond and phinz like this.
  7. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

If you love burley, you gotta' love C&D. If you love kakes, you gotta' love C&D. I've had a high opinion of them every since I discovered they make those kakes sold as Captain Earle's by Hermit. Ten Russians,Nightwatch, Private Stock, etc. Very fine stuff. I'm currently developing a close personal relationship with Pirate Kake.

8. Albert

Albert Active Member

We've found ourselves a common companion. :snork:

David Emond and MacNutz like this.
  9. Bob K

Bob K Member

Star of the East is my number 1, Pirate Kake is number 2. Great folks to deal with.

David Emond, OldSouled65 and Mington like this.
  10. krusty

krusty Active Member

I've heard this many times before.
    I've never dealt personally with the good folks there but I have smoked many of their offerings and enjoyed most tremendously.
    Bow-Legged Bear, Briar Fox and Habana daydream are well represented in my cellar!

Look forward to hearing what your sampler is composed of ATX.

David Emond and OldSouled65 like this.
  11. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Well which ones did you order\get?
    :popc:

David Emond likes this.
  12. OldSouled65

OldSouled65 Active Member

:popc:Also

David Emond likes this.
  13. ATXPipe

ATXPipe Member

I did get some Pirate Kake, a couple other like it (lat bombs, I'm sure) and a couple of virginia/blends. And one GL Pease blend, I can't remember the name. I'll have to post a picture for y'all once I get the sampler.

14. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

Vary, very classy organization, we are lucky to have them in our hobby.

David Emond and Buckshot like this.
  15. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

That's the same way I feel about it. :th1:

David Emond likes this.
  16. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

after getting some english chocolate C&D is high on my tad list. Briar fox, exausted rooster, autaunm evening, after hours flake. manhattan afternoon.

17. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I had a hard time finding a C&D blend that I loved. I really like the company as well, and their tin art is really cool too. I've been determined to find stuff of theirs I like enough to order in bulk.

At the Chicago pipe show last may, the C&D folks had a huge table with free samples of all their blends, including stuff under their other labels. I took home a large sack of samples, and was really happy to have fallen in love with Briar Fox. I'm finishing up my 2 oz tin now, and have it on the 2 lb TAD to order list.

I've also got Kajun Kake unopened and several others on the to try list.

David Emond and krusty like this.
  18. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

If you like simple aged tobacco goodness, it doesn't get much better than Briar Fox. It's a perfect partner for dark roast coffee. If After Hours isn't doing you any favors at first, try it in a few different pipes. I seem to get different things from this particular blend in different pipes. In some of my pipes, it comes off as a simple straight Va. In others, the rum comes out front and center and lends a good amount of spice. It seems to sing in my MM Ozark.

David Emond and krusty like this.
  19. ATXPipe

ATXPipe Member

Got my sampler from C&D today...I'm blown away! They're all VERY generous 1 oz. samples (no, I didn't weight them, but I know what an oz looks like from a previous life and this ain't it) plus they sent me an extra ounce!

Here's what they sent:
    1 oz. Pirate Kake
    1 oz. Mountain Camp
    1 oz. Morley's Best
    1 oz. Engine #99
    1 oz. Interlude
    PLUS 1 oz. GL Pease Union Square

From the smell, I don't think there's much chance of my not loving every one of these blends but I'll be doing a ton of smoking in the next couple of weeks getting through all of these.

20. OldSouled65

OldSouled65 Active Member

I love interlude as a nice treat here and there.

& don't even get me started on pirate kake :)

Albert and David Emond like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.