1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Cornell & Diehl Bulk

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by TxPipesmoker, Sep 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TxPipesmoker

TxPipesmoker Active Member

Hi. I was wondering if anyone buys direct from C&D.

2. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

If this thread spawns a co-op I'm in!

Just sayin'...:th1:

3. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

I have many times. They are very helpful and friendly. They are a little higher than their retailers, but guess this is just to protect them. Some things you can't get anywhere else though.

Rodfather and TxPipesmoker like this.
  4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

+1 on Smoker 99's post.

I had to order Oriental Silk from them steadily until I could convince pipesandcigars to stock it. Paid a little more direct but it was the only place I could find it at the time. Good people!

TxPipesmoker likes this.
  5. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Yes. I get big (8&16 oz.) Pease and Hermit tins directly from them. They are really easy to work with.
    I recently had them press a pound of 531 for me, they do stuff like that all the time for people, with a smile and a big "thanks for your business".
    In other words, typical good pipe people.

Rewster66 and TxPipesmoker like this.
  6. TxPipesmoker

Thanks everyone.
    Thanks everyone. I just placed a large winter order with them and asked them to press some of it. They said no problem..

7. jpberg

Cool.

8. ATXPipe

ATXPipe Member

what does it mean to "press" the tobacco? Do they actually take a loose tobacco & press it into flakes? Sorry, maybe this "?" belongs somewhere else...

9. bubo2069

bubo2069 Member

ATXPipe, from C&D's catalog:

Which I from what I remember means that they make it into a big cake like block
    Scott

SouthBound likes this.
  10. ATXPipe

ATXPipe Member

Yeah, I googled it & figured out what pressing is/why to do it.

thanks!

11. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I haven't yet, but I've been eying their Crooner, Haunted Bookshop, and Gentleman Caller blends with keen interest. I might just have to pull the trigger.

12. TxPipesmoker

Crooner is great stuff. Most people I hear don't like it. It was part of my order yesterday.

13. Timmy

Timmy Member

I dug up this thread to ask if anyone else has ever had a problem with C&D....? I was looking forward to my first order with them and it's turned into a bit of a fiasco. I guess I'm mostly just griping because I'm p*ssed off; not trying to start a war with loyalists (and I'll gladly recant if they EVER fix my order), I'm just honestly curious if anyone else has had a problem and then been kind of shunted to the side or ignored...? Nice people on the phone, but....

14. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

If you have had trouble with the C&D folks, give them a call. They will do their best to make you happy. Good people.

15. jpberg

What's the problem?

One thing to know, individual customers always take a backseat to retailers. I had an order in while they were starting production of Sextant and it took me a while to get my stuff. My order was a sample pack of some of their more obscure stuff, so it only made sense that they weren't going to interrupt the flow of thousands of tins of Sextant to batch me up an ounce of Or Olam.

16. Timmy

Timmy Member

I'm kinda speculating that this is the problem.
    It's a bit of a long story, but I'll try to keep it concise. Basically, I wanted to try blending for fun. I called and asked about their blending components and ordered 9 oz of various types. I was told that they couldn't give me an exact price right away as the components each had a different price, but that it would be around $20, plus shipping. No problem. After about a week of nothing, a charge of just over $50 appears on my bank account, no invoice or email or anything. I contacted to ask why. I'm told that I ordered a pound of bulk and that's the price, but if I was misquoted they'll give me a discount on my next order. I tell them no, I ordered 9 oz of blending components and I ask what exactly they sent. If it's an extra measure of the components I have no problem with that, I'll just have more fun. I get the simple reply "I sent a pound". Now I'm worried, as I'm beginning to suspect that what's coming is not at all what I ordered. A few days later it shows up, a 1 lb bag of 'special blend'. I'm not sure if they jotted down my order amounts and later came back to it and thought it was a recipe (1 part perique, 2 parts VA, etc... as opposed to 1 oz perique, 2 oz VA, etc...) or what, but now I've got a 1 lb bag of tobacco that I don't like at all. I contact them again, tell them there was a miscommunication somewhere, this isn't what I ordered. (This is right before Easter) I'm told that they apologize, to keep the 1 lb bag, on Tuesday after Easter the correct order will go in the mail at their cost (no offer of a refund for the overage though). I waited almost 2 weeks after that before contacting them again to let them know nothing had shown. I was told a week ago that they'd look into it. Nothing since then. So I'm out $50 for a bag of tobacco I can't smoke (enjoyably anyways), I haven't got what I DID order, and I feel like a jerk because I have to keep hassling them.
    I'd like to add that, although I appreciate the concept of C&D's approach to doing things 'the old-fashioned way', I ordered a few other blending components from 4noggins the day after my initial C&D order. I used an online cart, knew exactly what I was getting, exactly what it cost, got an invoice, a shipping notice and the correct order arrived within a couple of days.

17. jpberg

Well, hell, that's a legitimate bitch. Well said on your part about the different business approaches as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.