Cornell & Diehl Old Joe Krantz, Haunted Bookshop And Three Friars?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by WVDAVE, Apr 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WVDAVE

WVDAVE Active Member

I've been doing some research on these three blends and have come to the following conclusions. OJK is a Perique forward blend, Haunted Bookshop is a Burley forward blend and Three Friars being a Virginia forward blend. Another observation that I have came to is that all three would make a great all day smoke depending on what you're looking for flavor-wise. Have I missed the mark on my assumptions? My last question is out of the three which one do you feel would be better suited to just sit and enjoy without trying to figure anything out about it?

2. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

That depends on your ability to handle strong tobaccos, and how much you smoke during the day. OJK is a strong, spicey mixture, more for the experienced smoker. Haunted Bookshop is lighter in strength than OJK, but has a noticeable perique hit, and I'd rate it between medium and full. Three Friars is a medium smoke. If you just want a smoke that pleases you without knocking you off your tail, I'd go with HB and TF. I love perique, but I couldn't smoke HB all day long. YMMV.

psquared and WVDAVE like this.
  3. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

How would you rate the kick compared to 1792? or is it more of a flavorful thing that overwhelms it after a few bowls?

4. JimInks

It's been about ten years since I've smoked 1792, but I thought it was a very strong tobacco - stronger than OJK. OJK has a lot of perique, too much for me, and I find it strong for that reason. Haunted Bookshop is as strong a perique blend as I want. St. James Flake, Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls, Louisiana Red are, for my tastes, at a better comfort level for me in regard to VaPers. 1792 was a little overwhelming in a medium to big pipe. OJK gave me a firey feeling in my stomach, whereas 1792 gave me a head rush to remember! And if you're not a Touquin fan, the taste alone will be more than you can handle. Does that answer your question?

I don't know how I'd view 1792 if I smoked it today. My tastes have really evolved as I've gotten older.

psquared, WVDAVE and Thuber88 like this.
  5. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

Yes, thank you, it gave me more insight, and some answers.
    And as always more questions as I evolve

JimInks likes this.
  6. WVDAVE

WVDAVE Active Member

So, TF has less Perique than OJK and HB?

7. fogpipe

fogpipe Member

I have smoked both ojk and three friars. Of the two i like ojk better, it seems smoother even tho the tr.com page says its 25% perique it seems less spicy to me than three friars. I havent smoked hb but ojk is a no brainer, set it and forget it type smoke for me. When i first got my hands on some i had a little trouble with the nicotene, so you might want to start with it in a small pipe if you arent used to high nic blends.

WVDAVE likes this.
  8. WVDAVE

WVDAVE Active Member

This is the type of smoke I'm looking for. Life is too short and too full crap for something pleasurable like smoking a pipe to be complicated.

9. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Have you considered/tried 'Night Train' ?
    OT

10. WVDAVE

WVDAVE Active Member

NO, I have not OT. I'll check into some reviews on it. What's your take on Night Train?

11. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Same style as the others you mention, Night Train and 3 Friars seem to have become an all-day smoke for me lately - well worth a try!
    OT
    (Night Train comes as a pressed 'crumble cake' - but easily broken up for the bowl)

12. Bear84

Bear84 Member

I like OJK every once in a while. Good bit of vitamin N to be had in that blend and for me best enjoyed after a meal.

13. mecompco

mecompco Active Member

I love OJK, thinking about getting at least a pound next time I order. The flavor is great and I don't mind the N (I kind of find it pleasant, in moderation--I CAN get a little buzz off it with back-to-back bowls). I agree it's more of an afternoon/evening smoke for me, I like something a little sweeter first thing in the morning (I particularly enjoy Peterson's Perfect Plug with my morning coffee). I do intend to try some 1792, though.

14. JimInks

Yes, it does. Of the three blends you inquired about, I'd consider Three Friars to be the most likely all day smoke. Again, you have to determine how much strength you need in an all day smoke. I've not tried Night Train, but Old Ted has good taste in tobaccos, so you may want to try it. Experiment a little. You'll either find exactly what you're looking for or you'll realize - as many of us have - that there's always something else good and/or bad to smoke.

mojo66 and James1956 like this.
  15. sonarman

sonarman Member

I would add Bayou Morning to the mix, IMHO it would top all for strength AND flavor!

16. James1956

James1956 Member

Bayou Morning and Three Friars are both in my regular rotation. I find Bayou Morning to have a slightly fuller flavor, and Three Friars to be a lighter and brighter smoke. Either one would make a fine all day tobacco.

mojo66 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.