Could tobacco be biofuel?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Shootinok, May 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shootinok

Shootinok Member

Could tobacco be the next biofuel?

http://news.msn.com/science-technology/video?videoid=83a1fcc4-3077-f4cb-7e86-60517eda2931&ap=true

Cool Idea!
    I LOVE the idea of trying to utilize an infrastructure the US already has and looking for ways to benefit from it instead of just trying to put it out of business!

Maybe they can develop something much better than the farce of alcohol in gasoline.

2. bosun

bosun Active Member

I would imagine just about any plant matter can be used as a biofuel. Here they put pipes in the local dumps to collect the methane, burn the methane to run turbines and ultimately make electricity which they sell to the electric company. The idea is to use what is normally a waste product and get a benefit from it. Using corn is one of those "Thanks sucker!" ideas. Take a presently marketable food substance (human and livestock feed plus other materials derived from corn like corn starch and high fructose corn syrup), beat the drum about "Energy Independence", get various tax benefits and handouts, produce something with less inherent energy than what it is supposed to replace, and watch the money roll in. Corn gets turned into fuel, cost of feed corn goes up, cost of meat goes up. Farmers can't afford the additional cost they slaughter more animals for the meat market, then the cost of meat goes up more. Any product with corn in it (including your dinner) the cost goes up, including soda pop! Algae is a great source as a bio fuel.
    Right now if you are buying tobacco, you are giving the Federal government money to give to the tobacco farmers so they will plant something that doesn't earn them as much money as tobacco. We would be paying $30.00/gallon for tobacco derived ethanol (g).
    The oil companies import their raw petroleum, most of which comes from our Canadian neighbors, refines it and then exports gasoline and other fuels over seas. One of the reasons they want more pipelines to the gulf coast..so they can refine and ship it to better paying markets.
    It is a shell game with advertising and politics and a whole lot of money!

Jussto, Thuber88, YAPPG and 1 other person like this.
  3. Ozark Nick

Ozark Nick Member

I certainly hope not. I'd hate to see how high prices go up if it can be used as fuel.

Thuber88, YAPPG and ruffinogold like this.
  4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

What he said ^ .... God Forbid

Thuber88 and YAPPG like this.
  5. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Exactly! I use to buy 50# of corn for $2.50 to $3.50. Methanol kicks off, corn production in my area skyrockets and now the same 50# sack of corn is $10 to $12.

Thuber88, YAPPG and Ozark Nick like this.
  6. Trippwire

Trippwire Member

With bio fuel, is the end result the same? Stuff is still being burned, exhaust fumes are still coming out.... Are the 'green' credentials as simple as "it's renewable" instead of drilling it out of the ground... Sort of sustainable pollution.

I may be way off, but is that the guts of it?

Thuber88 likes this.
  7. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Pretty much, plus it is less efficient.

8. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

For a while when I had a diesel truck, I could be B20 Biodiesel. That was 20 % Bio and 80% diesel. They had to keep the percentage down because 100% would have lead to too many clogged fuel filters. It was such an efficient fuel cleaner the gunk in the tank, lines and injectors would break free. It also ran cooler. The mileage was about the same. The bio fuel was from rendering down chicken fat from some of the big chicken processing plants in north Ga. One day I was setting at a stop light and could smell chicken frying, but I was nowhere near a restaurant. It was the exhaust from my truck. I seem to recall that the exhaust was cleaner too.

Thuber88 and YAPPG like this.
  9. YAPPG

YAPPG Active Member

They have done that from reprocessed Fast Food fat collected in 50 gal drums out back of most places. Makes the exhaust smell like french fries.

Thuber88 likes this.
  10. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

I know if you smoke the right tobacco you can fly!

What always irked me about bio in the beginning, is a lot of guys were getting free grease from fast food places and restaurants and driving for pennies, but they couldn't keep their traps shut about it, and kept pushing what a great idea it is, well the fuel companies are only there to make a buck and don't care about anybody or anything but money, so big oil grabs onto it and instead of it drastically lowering fuel prices, now its a processing fee, if someone has a angel for dirt cheap fuel they should release that info like the Linux os, its free to anyone , anywhere at anytime, if you want to goof with bio on your own have at and big oil should be forced to stay out of it and stop monopolizing the worlds fuel needs.

Sorry for the rant

AustinLM and YAPPG like this.
  11. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

With the ethanol blends you loose about 10% power and fuel economy in gassers. Not to mention adding the ethanol causes it to absorb water into the gas and also will break down hoses and gaskets. I hate the stuff. It is especially hard on outboard motors.

Diesel is a different thing and I can see that it could be more comparable in performance. Interesting fact, the first diesel motors were originally designed to run off peanut oil.

12. AustinLM

AustinLM Active Member

IMHO I'd say the blame there is that we have designed all our motors to run on gas. I'd bet steam could be just as effective had we focused our efforts on new steam engines instead of bigger/better gas ones.

Now I'm just a young guy with a smartphone, but who here remembers the slide-rule? The compass and map instead of GPS? Give it a little time to let people work the bugs out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.