1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Couple of newb questions on tobacco...

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by DiscSlinger, May 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DiscSlinger

DiscSlinger Member

After a friend recently introduced me to the pleasures of pipe smoking, I decided to venture out to purchase my own pipe and tobacco. I went to a couple tobacconists in my area to pick up some tobacco... blindly for the most part. I picked up a Dr. Grabow and a few aromatic blends to kick off my new hobby. Altadis Blends...Centurion, Smooth black and gold cavendish, and Mark Twain.
    I had read that usually pipe smokers generally move from aromatics to English blends, etc. ( just what I read ), but I didn't see anything at these tobacconist shops other than aromatic blends. I enjoy the aromatics anyway...
    So, my first question is which types of tobaccos or specific blends can be recommended for low nicotine content ? I'm not smoking for the nicotine, so the less nicotine the better for me...
    Secondly, I was curious about tobacco storage. I purchased 2 oz each of the above tobacco blends. I put them in jars with small Humistat humidifiers in them... but I was curious if mold is ever a problem in storage ?
    Thanks...

2. CMAsailor

CMAsailor Active Member

Mold hasn't been a problem for my tobacco... yet. But I haven't lived in the NW long... Most people have problems with tobacco drying out when the tins and pouches have been opened for long.

As for tobacco choices... You've got lots of reading to do lol, and you'll never get to taste em all. However, it would be advantageous for you to figure out what you've liked sofar, and dissect them for their components. From there you can search for similar blends. For instance, I myself really enjoy Virginia's, so I seek out Virginia blends and experiment from there.

As for aromatics, I find that beginner pipe smokers make a jump from aros to Englishes because of the ease of smoking them in comparison to some of the cheaper aromatics that bite the tongue, but eventually, when they've mastered the skill or become comfortable with the hobby, venture back into the world of aros for an occasional guilty pleasure of a different sort, thus rounding out their spectrum of tobacco influences.

Your mileage will probably vary, but it sounds like you're enjoying what you've got at present, and that's great.

I wouldnt be able to help you with the low nic thing myself... I don't tend to feel any unless it's a nic bomb having converted from cigars... Good luck, there's more knowledge on the forum than you can shake a stick at...

3. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Active Member

If nicotine's a particular concern, then steer towards Virginias, Latakias, and Orientals, which tend to have less. Burleys and Perique have the most, and the p/h balance in Burley facilitates its absorption through the membranes of the mouth. Perique does have the most nicotine of any tobacco type, but it's typically used sparingly, so that might not be too much of a problem. Since Burley takes casings well, I would guess that a lot of the aros you're buying are heavily Burley-based. If you're that concerned about forming a habit, make it a point not to smoke every day and limit yourself to certain times/occasions. This will probably allow you to try a wider range of blends.

Regarding storage, I recently began doing this and mason jars are probably your cheapest, best buy. 2oz of ribbon-cut blends will fit easily in an 8oz jar. Most aromatics are plenty moist to begin with, so the moisturizer discs shouldn't be necessary if the jars are air tight (if you can smell the tobacco when they're closed, they're not). If you're storing flake, then 4oz jars could work for 2 oz. To prevent mold, I wipe them down with rubbing alcohol, wipe them dry, and put them in the microwave for two minutes, which kills any spores and evaporates any remaining alcohol.

To get access to a broader array of blends, try some of the online retailers like smokingpipes.com, cupajoes, or 4noggins. To get an idea of what you might like, ask around here, or take a look at tobaccoreviews.com. Peter Stokkebye's Proper English might be a good introduction to a full Latakia flavor.

Welcome, and enjoy!

4. DiscSlinger

DiscSlinger Member

Thank you for the replies... good advice. And thanks for the recommendation LifeOfRiley... I'll put the PS Proper English on the order list.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.