1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Cracked Bowl

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Patrickgrue, Nov 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patrickgrue

Patrickgrue Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Well I was outside smoking my new pipe and in the sunlight I found I have a cracked bowl.........

I got ripped pretty good on my first pipe.

It is a no name Chinese made pipe that I foolishly paid 30 dollars for.

So I am in the market for another starter pipe.

I bye Tobacco from rollyourown.com and there are some pipes there. I'm thinking of throwing in a pipe order at the same time I order my tobacco.

Any good advice on a good starter pipe would be great.

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Jul 15, 2009
    What's your budget? Peterson and Savinelli both offer pipes around the 50 dollar mark that won't explode in your hand.

You could also try an estate (used) pipe off ebay, there are any number of reputable sellers.

You've thrown out 30 bucks, and part of me wants to say "Don't throw out another 30 bucks, save up a bit and buy something good." but I realize that 75 or 100 bucks is out of reach for lots of guys in terms of blowing it on a pipe.

You could also get a couple of Missouri Meerschaum Cobs for 2 bucks each. That's probably your overall best value on the low end of the price scale. But again, get MM, not some Chinese garbage cob.
  3. Pipedan

Pipedan Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Hi Pat,
    first off welcome to PSF,
    I had a look at the site where you buy from and there is not much of a selection,
    I own a few Dr Grabows all antique and they are good smokers. I would get a Dr Grabow and a cob just so you can let one rest.
    Good luck

PS stay away from those china made pipes I had one and it cracked within a week Iam not sure what they are made out of but its not Briar.

4. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2009
    Sav. has a line of nakeds in the $30-$40 range.
  5. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Jan 7, 2010
    I'm always interested in those [​IMG]
  6. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Along with Grabows, Kaywoodies are another great "drugstore brand" pipe. You can usually find unsmoked Kaywoodies in the $25 - $30 range on ebay. Every Kaywoodie in my collection has been an excellent smoker. Many discount these pipes, but I think they're a great value.
  7. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Hi and Welcome -

I'm not bashing the Chinese for the sake of it, but their quality control is somewhat lacking; basically Chinese industry is geared up for high production goods to be sold cheap. Even as a good Scotsman I'd be the first to say that a bargain is not a bargain if it doesn't work.

I once found myself in Glasgow with my pipe left at home though I'd my tobacco pouch and lighter with me. I picked up a Chinese knock off of a Falcon in one of those "Everything for a Pound" shops - so I got a pipe for $1.50 U.S. I got exactly what I paid for - a hot smoker with a tin lined bowl but it did me the day. As an experiment I decided to see how long it would last - the answer was one week - the raised section of the aluminium humidome simply dropped out on day eight.

As has been said MM Corncobs are cheap, easily available and superb smoking engines - many experienced smokers never go past them. I've also has the opportunity to try one of their Ozark hardwood pipes recently and I think they too are excellent. MM even sells direct and they are great people to deal with - three days after I ordered two Diplomats last January they arrived in Scotland for me.

Up from that then Savinelli or Peterson can be trusted; American Estate pipes like Grabows and Kaywoodies from ebay seem to be a great deal and these brands have a sound reputation for being good smokers - but with second hand you may need to do some restoration.

What are called "basket pipes" from a tobacconists shop can be a good deal, but and here is the big but, you need quite a lot of experience to pick out a good one and to improve it if necessary - so I'd say buy, and get a pipe from either Sav or Pete - with care either will last you a lifetime,

Hope this helps

8. Patrickgrue

Patrickgrue Member

Nov 7, 2010

Thanks for all the advice........rollyourown.com has the missouri meeschaums....think I will go that rought for a while.

Had a decent smoke out of my cracked bowl last night but I can't wait to try the corn cob.
  9. SSGpiper

SSGpiper Member

May 7, 2010
    Keeping in mind that I am a bit spoiled and have a champagne taste on a bottled water budget. If I was looking for cigarette tobacco, I'd go to rollyourown. Looking for pipe tobacco, I go to people whose main business is pipes and pipe tobacco. I wouldn't go to an eye doctor to discuss my ears, etc etc.

Just my 2 cents
  10. smoore

smoore Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Welcome to PSF
    I think you have made a wise choice on the cobs. I have bought some estate (used) Kaywoodies on ebay for as little as $5 plus shipping, I was going to clean them up and resell them. They looked so nice I had to try them and then they smoked so well I just had to keep them.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.