1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Cracked Cob?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Kiowapipe, Apr 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

I know that cobs can burn out, and I imagine the shanks can come loose or break, but anybody ever seen a cob crack? I'm talking about the fatal splitting you see sometimes on abused and over-caked (still some controversy on this point, I know) briars. Just thought I'd ask, as it occurred to me that I never have seen such cracking in a cob.

2. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

They can and will this on occation. It stinks but at least cheap to replace.

3. WillH

WillH Active Member

Yulp, they sure can crack. I've had two corn cob pipes crack over the past few years. Both were MM cobs, a freehand and a Spool. MM sent new pipes without questions. Naturally they required me to send in the pipes prior to replacement.

Will

BYW, never had one burnout? Seems to me with a little care they will last a long time.

4. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

My MM General has a pretty decent crack from the top of the bowl down to a little above the middle. I still smoke it though! She's a champ!

Happy Smoking
    Arty

5. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I have a Hackert Freehand that has a half inch crack down from the "plateau" rim. I can see light and fresh cob thruogh the crack (it's that obvious but not noticable unless you know it's there. Also have a MM CG with a similar crack but not as long.

Both pipes smoke as if nothing was wrong. They're in my cob rotation (over 25) and perform as well as the others ...... stellarly.

Never had a burnout or burnthru and I do engage in mindless smoking at times, esp with a cob. All are MM's or a modded MM, hot rodded in the case of the Hackerts.

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

6. Beale

Beale Active Member

I now have 2 Cobs? I have not had this issue as yet. I am actually planning on buying another next week. IMHO for the $$ they are my favorite pipe so far, Beale.

7. Jomodeere

Jomodeere Member

Yeah I had one crack on me before. It was the very first one I ever bought. Kinda made me sad. I found out that it was from me smoking it in the morning on the way to class and then putting it in my freezing cold toolbox when i got done. The heating/cooling split it right on the back of the bowl. But i got her replaced the next week! :) I didn't know you can send them back to MM and get them replaced though?

8. WillH

WillH Active Member

Probably should clarify my statement on MM's pipe replacement.

The pipes I sent back came to me cracked as new! I didn't smoke them! I just repackaged them and sent them back. This is one reason why I buy Hackert Cobs - never had one of his pipes arrive cracked. He looks them over before doing his magic and sends them along to the customer. Seems most places have some ding-a-ling in shipping that doesn't look at the pipes - just grabs a pipe outta the bin and sends it off.

Will

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.