1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Cross Contamination?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by cmw00, Nov 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmw00

cmw00 Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Will I be ok storing bagged tobacco in large jars? I got a couple large jars, 1 gallon size, with screw on lids, they seem to be pretty air tight Can't smell the tobacco with the lids on. I keep my english blends in one, armoatics in another, and I have another with VA's, CH, SWR etc. I am wondering if I run the risk of cross contamination of the bagged tobaccos in the jar? I guess mostly in the aromatics jar?
  2. jhe888

jhe888 Member

Aug 26, 2010
    There is probably some risk that something very strongly cherry may leak into something mildly vanilla, for example.

The English/Oriental/Balkans may get along better - or, at least, if they do cross pollinate each other, they may go together better.

I think that is also true of the Viginia blends, although Perique is pretty strong - you may want to keep it apart.
  3. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

Oct 26, 2010
    I do this with various OTC brands. For instance, I have all my Captain Black in one jar together. I wouldn't put the aromatics in with the Englishes, but you should be alright as long as you put like with like.
  4. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Hi All,

I'd say if you really really want to keep the tastes separate - jar them separately; if you think the tastes would almost blend and be complementary to eachother jar them together.

A friend sent me some Lighthouse and some Brian's Blend recently - I popped the sealed platic baggies containing them into the large biscuit tin I use to keep my short term tobaccos in. Within a few days the lovely sweet smell of the Brians blend practically jumped out at me when I opened the tin - so yes you can get crossover,

Best to all

5. telltime

telltime Active Member

Aug 17, 2010
    The aromas will definitely cross over, just like others have stated. Don't store your tobaccos together like that just like you don't store your soaps (laundry detergent, bar soaps, etc.) in the same closet/pantry with your dry food items. You'll end up with chips that taste like soap!:thumbsd:
  6. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2009
    Cross-over is almost certainly guaranteed. Unless you don't mind having your MM965 taste something like Penzance, store them separately.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.