Crumble Cake question...

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by beammeuptothesky, Feb 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beammeuptothesky

beammeuptothesky Member

Hello!

I just received a tin of C&D Briar Fox in the mail recently and, upon opening, noticed that it comes in the form of a "crumble cake." I am anxious to try this blend out but am unsure how to prep-it and pack it correctly. Should I slice it like a plug? Or should I just peel a a piece off and rub-it-out? Do you guys have a preferred method?

Any advice that you guys could offer would be much appreciated ;)

Thank you!

~Aaron

2. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

I will not speak for everyone or claim that my way is the best, however it is what i found to work. I rub off a corner of the Kake and gravity fill into my pipe. Once filled, lite and enjoy! This has worked well for me and is simple. If it is windy out, I leave the Kake in bigger chunks.

Sean....headed out for a bowl of Ten Russians thanks to this post.

bubbagump, yinyang, Rewster66 and 2 others like this.
  3. lostopossum

lostopossum Member

I put it in the palm of my hands and roll it until it breaks up and makes a ball. Then I just put the ball in the pipe light and enjoy. I just finished an amazing bowl of penzance using this method. I dont know about it being the best but it has always worked well for me, but YMMV.

Rewster66 likes this.
  4. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I agree with Sean. Crumble cakes are some of the easiest tobaccos to work with. I smoked some Kingfisher last night, and it smoked perfectly with just a gravity fill.

Rewster66 likes this.
  5. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

I just got done smoking a bowl of Briar Fox. I just rip a piece off, crumble it a bit, cram, and go. It's been a very forgiving and easy going blend, and I'm loving the experience so far.

6. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

With C&D crumble cakes I just rip a chunk off and then rub it out and gravity feed it into the pipe. Sometimes i'll rip off a chunk and drop the whole chunk in the pipe, top with some rubbed out stuff and fire it up. I really enjoy Brar Fox and it's cajun cousin Kajun Kake.

7. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

No prep needed. If you can't fit the entire cake into your pipe, your pipe bowls are too small! :beck:

I agree with the above - just tear off a chunk, rub it out, and load.

bubbagump, TedVig, RTOdhner and 5 others like this.
  8. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

:haha:

9. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I've had some older tins of Hermit, the kind with the two cakes that look like those campfire starters. One of those could fit in the right pipe easily.

10. beammeuptothesky

beammeuptothesky Member

Thank you, Gents, for all your wisdom!!

The way you guys make it sound, I'm led to believe the stuff might just jump out of the tin and pack itself! :ohyh:

~Aaron

SouthBound likes this.
  11. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

A crumble cake can pretty much only be packed one way. Some pressed cakes like GLP's Triple Play for example, need to be cut with a knife, but a crumble cake sort of crumbles when you start pinching off pieces (hence the name) and you end up with a close-to-rubbed-out mess in your hands. And that mess goes into the pipe!

Enjoy! :th1:

SouthBound likes this.
  12. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

LOL Here in the past few days, it would seem to be that way for me. There's something about Briar Fox that is really appealing to me. I think it has kind of a buttery mouth feel, and I like the fact that it's a straight-forward and not overly complex Va. The crumble cake format of this particular blend is something that I am falling in love with. I think it's part of its charm. If it were ribbon cut, I don't think I'd be as enthused about it. I'm finding that it has some of the characteristics of flakes that I like, mainly the cool slow burn, but it stays lit easier and isn't so finicky about how it's packed. Come to think of it, it is very similar to Capt. Earle's Honor Blend in this regard, which is also a blend I happen to like a lot.

beammeuptothesky likes this.
  13. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I don't want the semantics police after me, but I think that stuff is just pressed, not really a crumble cake.

14. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

How would you distinguish the difference. Isn't a cake tobacco simply little bits of tobacco pressed into a cake, and cut into squares for packaging?

15. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

It is ground up mulch pressed into a cake. It will crumble apart. I have to think if Penance and Kingfisher were not sliced into flaks they would behave very similarly. The main difference is C&D's mulch is coarser than Germain's mulch.

Lestrade likes this.
  16. ChrisAtRGI

ChrisAtRGI Member

I have a tin of Briar Fox that I haven't opened yet. I've been smoking the heck out of Kajun Kake though. I'm on my third tin. It smells like brownies in the tin and tastes superb. I can't remember where I read this, but I gently crumble some up leaving big chunks and gravity fill to slightly overflowing. Then I tamp down to 3/4 full and top off with finely ground up pieces.

It seems to work out fine, but I'm going to try a few of the methods above as well.

17. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

For crumbly stuff and crumble cakes proper (Penzance and maybe Kingfisher kinda stuff) the best method I've found, or rather was told about, is to take the tobacco and just break it up. Take the biggest chunks, say 1/4" by 1/4" and drop them in the pipe. Then the smaller stuff, just dropped on top. Then the fine dusty crap on top as kindling. Light, tamp, light and you are off for a long, long time. Works great. Haven't had Briar Fox so I can't say if it works on that stuff.

18. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

wow never seen crmble cake tobacco before, now im really interrested.

19. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

It's just flakes with no backbone. :beck:

20. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

ok i understand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.