Curious - 1 pound

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by IrishRover, Nov 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Just a little curious.. Has anyone calculated or tracked how long a pound of tobacco lasts you?

2. SenatorXMG

SenatorXMG Member

If you estimate 15-20 bowls out of a 2oz tin (depends on bowl size)....multiply that by 8...you would get anywhere from 120 to 160 bowls from a pound. Frequency of smoking would then factor into how long a pound of tobacco would last.

Sent from my Milestone using Forum Runner

IrishRover likes this.
  3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Senator, if your pipe is 7/8" by 2" deep, and a 50 g tin is 3 1/2" by 1" deep inside, the volume ratio is 1.2/9.6 which is about 8 bowls. Those are just totally random numbers, with no bearing at all to any actual pipe except both of the ones I sold you.

4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

5.25 weeks, based on number of bowls per wk at about 8 grams average per bowl.

I just calculated it now - never really needed to know before.

5. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

A pound of Grousemoor would last my entire lifetime. Hell, a bowl would.

6. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

My answer would be similar, except maybe halve the bowl size and double the frequency of smokes.

(I already know this answer, but do you smoke ANY pipe where you don't hear an echo while talking?) :)

Rewster66 likes this.
  7. Scottly

Scottly Member

I can tell you with out a doubt that I smoke 14 oz every 3 weeks of Carter Hall. I always mark the bottom of the tub when I open it, and it last me exactly 3 weeks every time. Yes I'm puffing away at it :puffy: right now even, but I like it! And it is much cheaper then my previous cig habit that used to cost me $45 a week and was not nearly as enjoyable as the Pipe.

IrishRover likes this.
  8. shadow

shadow Active Member

And the same goes for Borkum Riff!:D

Rewster66 and Mark w4mms like this.
  9. SenatorXMG

SenatorXMG Member

That's assuming I pack my bowls as tight as the toby in a tin.

The pipes I have from you are by far my largest...most of the pipes I smoke are 7/8 x 1 1/2.

Sent from my Milestone using Forum Runner

10. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Two that I smoke with some regularity. One is the pipe I reserve for aromatic blends and the other is my "working outdoor" pipe where I want something light that hangs well. The rest are Group 6 size or better.

11. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

A pound will hold me for 3 to 4 weeks..........

12. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I used this formula in Excel to calculate what's in my cellar to see what quantity needs to be on my TAD list to get to my total weight goal: =(C71*16)*10/365

Inside the parenthesis are colum numbers for each of the blends. Multiply those x the number of bowls average I get from an ounce (10) and then divided by the number of days in a year 365. I put all weight in ounces by each blend and get the "How many years" total. Ex- 55 lbs would last me 24 years at 1 bowl per day.

...or 1 lb would last me 4 months

IrishRover and dwaugh like this.
  13. SenatorXMG

SenatorXMG Member

Aside from my calculation above...which may be prone to error...I smoke between 3-4lbs per year. My current cellar will last me between 10-12 years.

14. Dunlibi

Dunlibi Member

I wish I was settled in my tobacco choice to build a cellar :confused::)

IrishRover likes this.
  15. BradNTX

You can still start buying bulk of the stuff you know you like a lot!

16. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

If you have a varied cellar, with some of this and that and whatnot, a pound of a certain blend may last you a while! If you only smoke a blend or two, that's an easy question to answer. Only you can determine what you smoke. We still have that right so far....

Ed
    Puff

IrishRover likes this.
  17. user0003

I cellar mainly SG FVF and 1792, RRR, Xmas Cheer, Blockade Runner and Sunday Picnic along with other in lesser quantity.

18. BradNTX

What do you do with your Blockade Runner before you smoke it? Do you smoke it dry, moist or what?

This sounds like a blend I would really like, and I think it smells wonderful, but the sample I got was pretty dry. I'm not sure how this affected the taste, which wasn't bad, but I was expecting a little more. I'm wondering if a freshly opened tin would provide better results.

19. user0003

Cut a chunk off and pinch into the bowl.

Fresh tins have a prominent whiskey note which dissipates pretty quick. But I smoke a tin in about week after opening so an open tin isn't around long.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.