Curious... Anyone here stop smoking briar pipes?

Discussion in 'Meerschaum Pipes' started by Pipe Puffer, Oct 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. User3940

User3940 Active Member

I think it would be a better idea for Bob to donate the unwanted briars to PSF members who have a message count somewhere between 3500 and 4000 (subject to change of course). :ohyh:

mitchell likes this.
  2. CoreyR

CoreyR Active Member

No no, Coastie. Obviously, those of us with lower message counts are working harder, with less time because we are more desperate. Also, I think it should be an Army veteran. You coasties had it MUCH too soft while you were in. Time for us grunts to get some nice things :ngty:
    ...and don't tell me you didn't my daughter is a Coastie. I KNOW how uber soft she has it!:startl:

3. User3940

User3940 Active Member

No no, Coastie. Obviously, those of us with lower message counts are working harder, with less time because we are more desperate. Also, I think it should be an Army veteran. You coasties had it MUCH too soft while you were in. Time for us grunts to get some nice things :ngty:

:xd::laff::haha::booty:

...and don't tell me you didn't my daughter is a Coastie. I KNOW how uber soft she has it!:startl:

The key word is "is". Big difference between Old Guard and New Guard. :moon:

mitchell likes this.
  4. CoreyR

CoreyR Active Member

No no, I thought you might take that tac. Not valid, when I was stationed, in Alaska, wo for many years, I used to end up at various Coasty Guard stations, including your beloved Kodiak. Y'all lived high on the hog man! Your mess hall, or "galley," or whatever, was AWESOME. Especially to a starving, freezing paratrooper who just wandered in from being chased by grizzelies. Don't even get me started on your billets. :bangin:
    Fine liven, in the middle o'nowhere.

5. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Yep, I was in Kodiak but did not get a chance to experience the galley or the billeting. I spent all my time on ships bouncing around in the middle of the Bering Sea. Small ships...small old ships...not wood but close enough. That's Old Guard. These New Guard people got these big ass ships with stability features and staterooms. Spoiled kids. :shead:

6. CoreyR

CoreyR Active Member

Small old ships with HEAT! .....ummm, I think we have wandered WAY off topic here. Weren't we trying to convince Pipe Puffer that he should "donate" his briar to us? :oops:

7. CoreyR

CoreyR Active Member

See Pipe Puffer, Coastie are broken down, half frozen old Arctic veterans, from The Cold War. You should split your briar collection between us and then you are free to conectrate on those WONDERFUL Meers! :bow:

We are still just trying to be helpful.

User3940 likes this.
  8. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

I slid into three meers, two (large-ish) classic shapes and one near life size carved cabbage. Each has a case and each travels well. They are each stellar smokers. I select them for any new-to-me tobacco or for when I want brightness and clarity; that's not always. I also select one for road trips for the durability, case and ability to smoke one pipe over a period of days with a sensible variety of tobaccos.

Give up cobs and briars? Not there yet.

Raffxr7 and CoreyR like this.
  9. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

I got involved with CGC Sedge up in Homer a few years back. The only reliable heat it had was regular engine room fires. Talk about smoking? That's on topic.

:snork:

10. CoreyR

CoreyR Active Member

Hmmm, good point.

11. User3940

User3940 Active Member

See. That't exactly what I'm talking about. Thanks for the validation Mister Moo. I was actually on the Sedge's sister ship, the Firebush, and the Citrus. Same class of ship, same poor condition, but a tank when in the open ocean during a winter storm. Who the hell needs warmth?

12. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Okay...I'm done. Back on topic. Thanks for the short hijack.

13. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

While I don't have anything against meers I don't think I'll ever get one. It just seems like too much of a crapshoot. The main problem I see is that these Turkish carvers don't seem to be real pipe makers and so the mechanics of many of them look terrible, narrow draws and weird stem/shank connectors. I would want one to be constructed like a well drilled briar just out of meerschaum instead. Add to that that one of the big carvers everyone used to recommend to get a good one has had a string of complaints from forum members here and...

I don't know. Its a rare enough thing when I've put enough money away to be able to justify a pipe purchase that I really want to know what I'm getting. Maybe when I can risk a bigger gamble I'll give them a shot.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
    CoreyR likes this.
  14. cigarsarge

cigarsarge Active Member

Slowly moving to meers. Three of the last five bowls were out of meers.

15. Pipe Puffer

Pipe Puffer Member

Sorry guys! no pipe giveaways!

Deckard:

Check out Altinok Meers.... great pipe! Very wide open as open or more so then my Castellos'

Best

Bob

16. hoss

hoss Member

Have not smoked from stone yet. Have been eyeballing those rockcobs, tho...i've had the premonition one or two of those are in my near future. Yes, i do possess occasional bouts of psychic transmission. Trips me out, too.

17. DoggieDaddy

DoggieDaddy Member

Gave up briars for the white lady 10 years ago, have given away the briars over the years.

18. esteban

esteban Active Member

gave up on any meer with the plastic threaded stem to shank connection... In fact they are really leaving my herd in favor of the briar.....

19. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Active Member

bought my first Meer this past Nov in Turkey upstairs at the Meerschaum King, bought my second as an estate at a local shop. this will be my next pipe.
    [​IMG]

20. Pipe Puffer

Pipe Puffer Member

Nice looking next pipe!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.