Curious... Anyone here stop smoking briar pipes?

Discussion in 'Meerschaum Pipes' started by Pipe Puffer, Oct 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SidStavros

SidStavros Active Member

A "serious" smoker i think must smoke many kinds of pipes,each one has his own "charm" and gives a different pleasure. I can not abandon for example my briars for meerschaums or my corn cobs for my gourds and vice versa. Some times one material is "perfect",depends from the occasion.

WrightwoodJohn and Rockbass like this.
  2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Consider me "un-serious". :ohyh:

There is, however, a tobacco I only smoke in a briar. I don't smoke it often but it does seem to perform best surrounded by wood.

But smoking pipes, like audio systems, should be as neutral as possible IMHO.

3. DeusExMachina

DeusExMachina Member

Since we're experiencing quite a cold snap, I was wondering; How does meerschaum handle temperature extremes compared to say, briar?

TheModernGent likes this.
  4. hoss

hoss Member

I've been smoking my meers in the freeze and sometimes forget them in the truck overnight, which makes me nervous (firing up a bowl in such a cold pipe), but they have done fine.

DeusExMachina likes this.
  5. Malus Rex

Malus Rex Member

As you can see, I'm proud of my meerschaum. I know many of my fellow PSF members are fellow Sherlockians. It might interest them to know that Holmes' most prized possession before his death was his meerschaum.

( cited in The Gaslight Grimoire: Dark Tales Of Sherlock Holmes )

6. SidStavros

SidStavros Active Member

That's why i said "serious" and not serious, was a little for fun [as a matter of speech] and not be heard as absolute. :)

7. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

I go through phases.
    After I got my first meer, I went on a binge, and thought I might be happy with nothing else.
    Then I got a Falcon. Same thing, I went on a Falcon binge.
    But then I smoke a cob, and remember how good they smoke, so I go on a cob binge for a couple of weeks.
    13 days ago I bought a Pete briar, so I've been on that kick for a couple of weeks.
    In the end, while I will go on a binge of one certain type of pipe for a few weeks at a time, I love em all.
    I'm a briar, meer, cob, metal man.

8. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

I was cob only for a while. Life was good.
    Now I have some good briars and meers. Life is better.

9. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I smoke an old SMS during snow removal (-13 last Monday) and then bring it back into the house (where it's 70) and have had no problems. I've done this for years. While I can't say that it's good for the pipe, it has shown no tendency to crack.

DeusExMachina likes this.
  10. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I'm sorry ... but " Stop .. smoking .. briar pipes " is unnatural in the English or any other language ...especially the American Language . These words are only to be used in a " true " rational sentence . As an example ,

" While I stopped to light my briar pipe , I was blown away by the pure joy of smoking "

This has been a public service announcement :beck:

11. AlexanderM

AlexanderM Member

I can smoke a briar pipe and I enjoy their aesthetics - but I don't believe I'll ever collect them. Somehow the draw is not there. I have one and I'm happy with it - I'd only buy another as an estate for cheap. I haven't noticed that either smokes better, but I enjoy the whole meer experience more. A meer is more exotic, it has the whole coloring mystique - and I think it ages better. An old briar can look very sad and worn out, but a meer without breaks or chips just gets prettier with age.

Currently I smoke my meer more than my briar even though the briar is a slightly better smoker. But once I get a meer that is as light as my briar, with a comfortable stem I doubt I'll touch the briar again. Its just not the first thing I'll ever pick up off the shelf.

12. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

I beat the heck out of my meers, they hold up great. I'm a farmer... I use to only take cobs or beater briars into the fields, but now smoke meetschaums 90 percent of the time. no ornate figurals though. I broke my one and only ornate meer but have not damaged any others at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.