1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Custom-Bilt Collections? Loyalists?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by CMAsailor, Jul 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CMAsailor

CMAsailor Active Member

Anyone else out there love Custom-Bilt Pipes?

I've been reading Bill Unger's book lately, Tracy Mincer had a hell of an operation at one time. My guess is he wasn't asking enough for his pipes, he could never keep anyone stocked with enough pipes, and couldn't make ends meat. WW2 also happened and he had to resort to making pipes from Laural wood for a few years. It's also interesting to find out the pipes stamped "Tracy Mincer" were made buy Claude Stuart ?? Haven't finished the book yet, I keep skipping around:)

Most of my prize possession pipes are Custom-Bilt or Custombilt pipes.:ngty: I guess I stumbled on a couple and kept looking for more cause they smoked so well and looked and felt more my style.

Rodfather and Stonewall like this.
  2. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I do like them, a great deal. I only have one Custombilt, but I have have three of those ~Tracy Mincer~ (or Claude Stuart) pipes. I've noticed the price on them have doubled over the past year. They're really good smokers thus far.

3. CMAsailor

CMAsailor Active Member

I actually had a chance at one of the famed carved pipes, a few months ago it was on ebay and for much less than even mentioned in the adds in the book. think it was less than 30bucks but I was broke and ran from the computer. one of the ones with the Bass fish carved on it. I have no Idea where the auction ended.

and yes... the Asking price has more than doubled on ebay for the ones restored and/or claimed NOS, new-old-stock, especially for the ClaudStuart ~TracyMincer~ pipes for some reason. they're great pipes but I wonder who's paying the hundred dollar plus bill on them... there's a couple I've been watching online remain unsmoked, and just pass from hand to hand, the next guy thinking he can sell it higher...but listing it as made in the wrong era...:confused: a little dishonest

as for the truly loved Custombilt and Custom-Bilt estates, many of them start at .99 and end around 20-30bucks in decent cleanable condition. not long ago it was 5-15 bucks. and 30 for one in immaculate condition And the famed -

If I stick my nose in the auction, and I think it's worth it, and/or I don't have one from that era/shape/whatever I've paid 50 before. But it's a pipe Bill Unger wasn't sure existed. a Small nose-warmer Custom-Bilt saddle bit, and it's possibly my favorite of the whole lot. I also scored a small nose-warmer billiard, that looks to be early Rich or late Mincer era... looks dead nuts like the Mincer era huge billiards I have... but with no markings, and it's dinky. another favorite. think I picked up the billiard for less than 5bucks.

Truth is, they all smoke pretty well, and some you don't feel like you ever have to put down they just keep chuggin along. I wonder how long it'll go before I have a dud.

I'll have to take some pictures one of these days.:) I love my pipes

Stonewall likes this.
  4. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

I really like the older Custom-Bilts, I have 6 of them. Being an avid Waterfowler I was fortunate to find two carved ones. One is a dog holding a duck in his mouth and the other is a landing duck. They are both good sized Billiards and are very fine smokers. The prices keep going up, so is the popularity of them. According to Bill Unger the carved pipes were done in 1946.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.