1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Custom Pipe (quality or $10 bargin bin)

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by MorePower7701, Sep 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MorePower7701

MorePower7701 Member

I am new to a pipe and still can not tell for sure what makes some pipes worth there price. My first pipe was an old estate Tracy Mincer Custombilt briar straight stem, stem is loose, heavy, but from my limited experence seems to smoke well. :confused: I was in a local quality pipe/cigar shop looking for a second pipe, while looking the salesperson showed me a pipe that he claims was built by a local pipe maker. I looked at over 10 pipes ranging from $80-$250, but the custom made, was light, bowl had a nice finish, not to glossy just nice, and fit my hand perfect, like it was taylor made for me. I could not pass it up and paid the $50 they asked, packed the bowl and enjoyed a few minutes in the smoking lounge. This thing smokes great, but with my limited knowledge I don't know if I got took. There are no markings, stamped on the pipe, it was nothing like there bargin pipes they offered, from what I can see, it looks hand built. How can I tell?:cfsd:

2. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

Any pictures will help a lot, and congrats on the new pipe either way!

3. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

That custom bilt Pipe should be good, might just need some restoration work. I love my custom bilt.

Not sure about the new Taylor, but would like to see pictures of both.

4. MorePower7701

MorePower7701 Member

5. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

Its not there....

6. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I would tend to think that a reputable tobacconist wouldn't lie to you. Even basket pipes usually have something stamped on them, like "Genuine Briar" or some such thing, so the fact that it has nothing stamped on it is a good sign, IMO. Maybe it's just a local guy who's either trying to learn carving and selling his wares at a bargain, or selling his seconds at a discount, with no name attached. Either way, a good smoking pipe for fifty bucks isn't such a bad deal.

7. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

And it's not ugly, either, so I'd say the buy was probably pretty much a good deal! I've paid more for pipes that turned out to be not so great, so if it looks okay and smokes well, for 50 bucks the customer is pretty lucky in my book!

8. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Yeah, not a bad deal!

9. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

here's the pic.

[​IMG]

10. SenatorXMG

SenatorXMG Member

Without looking down the airway or in the bowl, it looks to be a decent pipe. Barring any poor engineering, it should smoke ok.

As for your custom-bilt...I'm partial to them...especially ones made by Tracey Mincer. The three I have are fantastic smokers. You can find these on eBay for $20-$50.

11. Vaquero

Vaquero Member

You are right about the finish being not to glossy, that seems to be a good sign as far as pipe making is concerned (something about letting the briar "breathe" if I recall). Either way, that's a beautiful pipe! Enjoy it!

12. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

Hey, if it smokes great and your happy, then it is worth whatever you paid for it.

13. Damon

Damon Member

Looks like a nice pipe to me it has the shape of a savinelli 440ks very cool looking.

14. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Looks good to me. Enjoy the new pipe!

15. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Sure looks like a winner to me! One thing you said about your new pipe really hit home: that it fits your hand as if it was made for it. Perfect! When it comes to a pipe, finding one that feels "just right" is half the battle. It seems to me that $50 was very well spent.

Bri2k

16. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Looks like a freehand dublin to me .. If it fits and smokes well as you say ... you scored . Enjoy !

17. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

A good basket pipe is a joy. You feel like you stuck it to the man every time you get a good smoke out of it, and you will get good smokes out of it. Learn its quirks, if it has any. Even a name brand pipe has quirks, and you have to get to know each other. Smoke in good health, and consider it a few dollars well spent. There are worse ways you can waste your money than investing in the basket. Of course, you can pour money down the basket's drain, too. If this one works, look for the same qualities next time you are ready to take a speculative plunge. It is worth it.

Cheers,
    WK

Stonewall likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.