1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

D@*n you flake!!!

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Jimmy Bukowski, Mar 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimmy Bukowski

Jimmy Bukowski Active Member

Just had my first encounter with 1792. I really did enjoy the flavor.I watched the prep videos,I dried it out for a couple hours...I actually believe I found the meaning behind the name.I swear I had to relight my pipe 1792 times! I'm really not sure that I'm going to give up on it yet,however I may have developed arthritis in my thumb from constantly using my lighter.

2. fogpipe

fogpipe Member

I always had trouble keeping it lit, too.

SidStavros and Jimmy Bukowski like this.
  3. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

RUB it out! and don't pack so tight.....otherwise hold the hair dryer near:) .....not the sort of stuff you can stand on end in the bowl.
    OT

Coda, Jimmy Bukowski, Mington and 2 others like this.
  4. Tate

Tate Member

I smoke a lot of 1792 and love it. Dry it fairly well. If it is wet, you can leave it out overnight, or pack your pipe the day before you smoke it. I like to use a tall chambered pipe with a narrow bowl to smoke it in. If you just >can't< keep it lit normally, try mixing a little bit of chopped Virginia of your choice with it.

Stormy, Jimmy Bukowski and Mington like this.
  5. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Great advice. Smoking flake takes some trial an error, practice and experimentation. I often put some scrappy bits from the flake jar/tin on top of the folded flake for easier lighting. It can also help with that crucial, even burn up front. My initial issues with flake relights from burning down the side or center. Regarding F&S I always say, char, char again.

boiseTim and Jimmy Bukowski like this.
  6. JRobert

JRobert Serious Cat Forum Guide

It took me a while to learn how to smoke 1792. I rub it out and let it dry for at least four hours, then pack it loosely and add a little CH or Half&Half on top to get it started. You can also mix a small amount of CH in the bowl to keep it all going, but if it's dry enough you won't need to do this. Once you get the hang of it it's really very good.

Jimmy Bukowski and Mington like this.
  7. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I love the stuff...but I'm not too keen on fiddling about with my tobacco in order to smoke it. I would like it better if it were a plug I could just cut myself (they say Cob Plug is the plug form, but it's hard to find sometimes and I've not tried it) or if they would just cut it into much thinner flakes so it would burn more easily.

That's one of the reasons I like Kendal Dark so much - it's got a deep, rich, super full bodied flavor, it's good old fashioned pipe tobacco but it's a fine cut ribbon which requires very little if any drying time and which burns really easily - almost effortlessly if the moisture is just on target. I like whatever SG flavors the 1792 with, which I think is mostly tonquin, and I like the strength and the solid base blend...but I have difficulty getting it to burn well for me, so it remains only an occasional blend for me. If it were cut like Kendal Dark, it would easily be one of my blends of choice. They say that people can't please everyone, though, so I guess that applies to SG and me in this case!

Jimmy Bukowski likes this.
  8. buistd

buistd Active Member

I gave up on 1792. I didn't particularly care for the taste, and I don't like tobaccos that are fussy to get right. Don't really smoke many SG flakes for that reason.

boiseTim, SouthBound and Johnny Dingo like this.
  9. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I tried it a couple of years ago, it was too much work for a mediocre smoke...

boiseTim and Johnny Dingo like this.
  10. Waino

Waino Active Member

SG flakes must get aged. My first experiences were "wet" too. Two years old Balkan Flake is totally different tobacco than fresh one.

Mington likes this.
  11. Grim_Puffer

Grim_Puffer Member

All this talk about Samuel Gawith has me wanting to get the snuff out. Love the Scotch Black snuff.

I need to order some of their pipe tobacco as well. Not big on 1792 but it was a while ago when I smoked it. Need to try some of the others though.

12. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

I have the same problem with it. Every now and them I decide to give it a try and sometimes I can get it to work. Other times I lose half the bowl to fatigue/disinterest.

Monkey, BigJ and Jimmy Bukowski like this.
  13. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

OT definitely has it right about rubbing that flake out.

I've also found that flakes which are difficult to keep lit burn better in a narrower bowl without the need to draw like a madman.

14. Tate

Tate Member

Change your technique.

This tobacco is really complex, good, and should keep you interested provided the flavor profile agrees with you. As noted above, try to mix it in with some neutral good burning virginia and dry it well. Take your time preparing it. You'll get the hang of it. It is worth it.

An ounce of preparation is worth a pound of cure.

Johnny Dingo likes this.
  15. buistd

buistd Active Member

Do you know what - the best time I ever had with 1792 was snuffing the dust at the bottom of the tin. Really good stuff!

16. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

You beat me to it. This is a paraphrase of my own thoughts.

17. Albert

Albert Active Member

My trick to smoking 1792 is to rub it out, pack it with medium pressure, do a good charring light. Load another pipe and smoke that pipe and come back to the 1792 flake the next day. It will smoke like a dream.

boiseTim and Mister Moo like this.
  18. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer Member

Hmmm well Samuel Gawith's Flakes are just like that. They are wet, wet, wet. And thus hard to master.
    I have given up on them recently. I find there are much more excellent offerings out there that spare us all the trouble SG flakes demand. And that is not to mention the rust in the inside of the tin that will develop during aging.

19. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

The only SG flakes I've figured out are BBF and FVF. The rest of them are a pain in my arse. It doesn't seem to matter if they're wet or dry, they don't want to stay lit. I keep going back to them because I know if the puzzle is solved, the reward will be great.

20. Longshanks

Longshanks He who shall; so shall he... wait, who?

I wonder how many new pipe smokers are talked into buying this flake, only to throw the pipe down on the first or second try because they couldn't keep it lit. LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.