1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

D@*n you flake!!!

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Jimmy Bukowski, Mar 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

The Tonka bean flavoring is really cool in this strong wet blend . I smoke 1792 in smallish pipes dried out for however long it takes . I don't care for the ritual of messing about with a blend when there's a million others .. however , 1792 is pretty unique and I cant think of anything just like it . Ogdens Walnut is kinda like a toned down version that you dont have to mess with so much . It's not the same , for sure , but it's one you'd probably enjoy . I smoked 1792 in a big billiard one time and I almost couldn't get out of the recliner I was in , thus the smaller pipe . I'm glad youre not giving up on it ... it's a heavy / rich enjoyable blend , ya just gotta find your thing with it

Thuber88, BigJ and Albert like this.
  2. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

It is so. And, really, the puzzle isn't so complex. Each flake has its own combination to crack and then the door opens. It's easier than organic chemistry.

3. Tate

Tate Member

Everyone is always complaining about the "complexity" and "hassle". But it isn't really. It just takes some practice. Delicious wonderful practice. Sort of like how you had to practice s_x over and over and over before you got it right. I didn't hear anyone complaining then.

WalkinStick and BradNTX like this.
  4. fogpipe

fogpipe Member

I used to love bracken flake. Seems to burn well and has a flavor unlike any other tobacco i have smoked.

5. KarlMaldenNose

KarlMaldenNose Member

What exactly is the point or advantage of not rubbing out a flake? It certainly doesn't sound easier or faster. You have to loosen the flake a bit, fold it just right, insert it just right, top it off with some shake for better lighting. It takes me all of 30 seconds to rub out and pack a flake. And I've seen people write about how much slower the burn is. I just had an hour-long smoke of rubbed out FVF in a tiny MM cob, just sitting there in a chair doing nothing but enjoying the smoke. Point being, I was constantly puffing for an hour straight with nothing to disctract me from the pipe and extend how long it took to finish it. So, really, how much slower do you need tobacco to burn? I've also seen many write about how a flake smoked whole is arguably less flavourful, less intense, due to less complete combustion of the tobacco as less of its surface area is exposed. If that's true, there's another notch on the belt for rubbing it out. Now, I'm still relatively new to all this, so please understand I'm not making definitive statements here, only posing some questions for the more experienced to chime in on.

boiseTim and Old Ted like this.
  6. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

It's not a time saver, but doesn't take much time either way. I'm sold on fold and stuff because the flavor is a bit fuller and a bowl will last a bit longer.

Either way is a matter of preference more than need.

7. Morse

Morse Active Member

My theory on flakes (completely based on speculation on my part) is that back when the world was full of Condor smoking farmers who spent most of their time outside with a Falcon stuck in their mouths and a steady wind blowing, flakes made perfect sense to fold and stuff. The flakes burn slower, last a good long while - the wind helping to keep the tobacco lit. As proof I can only offer that my best experience with a flake (conniston cut plug) was on a breezy, damp morning in Yorkshire in the company of the gentleman quoted above. When I fold and stuff in the comfort of my indoor recliner with no breeze (all this hot air notwithstanding) it is an exercise in frustration. I appreciate flakes for their compact.......osity, and resulting ease of transportation but when smoking inside, rubbing them out makes the experience a lot more pleasurable.

Old Ted and SouthBound like this.
  8. HazyDat620

HazyDat620 Member

this is the only way I have enjoyed it also.:)

9. JRobert

JRobert Serious Cat Forum Guide

More 1792 for me; thanks. It sucks; don't buy it.

WalkinStick and Johnny Dingo like this.
  10. SidStavros

SidStavros Active Member

I never liked flakes.

11. KarlMaldenNose

KarlMaldenNose Member

That was part of point in my post a few up the page. When you rub out a flake, you rid yourself of its inherent hassles (e.g. poor burn, muted flavours). If you rub it out enough, you're left with a chunky ribbon cut that has most of a flake's flavour advantages, like integration of its various flavours.

fogpipe likes this.
  12. SidStavros

SidStavros Active Member

I will be honest,if i don't give as a gift to other smoker my flakes i cut them in smallest pieces.Only then i can smoke them,if i keep them in the factory shape i revile in every bowl. :byg:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.