1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Daily pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Shane Arnett, Dec 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shane Arnett

Shane Arnett Member

Heard a lot about various preferences for frequency of pipe usage. Some say, one for each day, others say differently. Personally, I only use a pipe once per day, but I've seen a lot of people promoting a pipe-for-each-day outlook.

What are your preferences?

2. beaupipe

beaupipe Active Member

Rarely smoke the same pipe twice in a day anymore.

Elwin and Shane Arnett like this.
  3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Meerschaums and clays can be smoked multiple times in the same day, week or even month.

I would only smoke a briar once per day, but you're right - some folks tout the one-pipe-for-each day routine. That's how the "seven day set" of pipes became popular.

I have little experience with cobs, so can't comment.

shadow likes this.
  4. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

There's always the 21 cob salute. Twenty one cobs divided by 7 days = 3 fresh pipes a day!

shadow and Elwin like this.
  5. DocB

DocB Active Member

Depends on how much I smoke, per day. I will rarely use the same pipe twice in a day, but I have that luxury being home. Being deployed, I did smoke multiple bowls from the same pipe all day long.

6. Shane Arnett

Shane Arnett Member

..."You're gonna need a bigger boat*... "

* = pipe rack
    :byg:

7. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

....give up now it's useless....you have PAD...already! Congratulations!!!

CalPiper, DocB and MakDragon like this.
  8. sarge564

sarge564 Member

Generally, the pipe bag gets packed with a minimum of 2 pipes, sometimes 3. But, I work out of my car and don't have to carry them on my person.

9. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

I know...... I only had about 7 pipes before I joined this forum.....now?.......Dont want to talk about it but the wife did say to me one day last week, "You have that many pipes? You'll never smoke all of them".

10. Shane Arnett

Shane Arnett Member

Haha it's inevitable. The two things on my wish list currently: an MM Country Gentleman and a Savinelli 1/4 or 1/8 bent anything. I have a funny affection for pipes that are basically a straight billiard but bent slightly at in the last inch or so of the stem.

Jesla likes this.
  11. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

I even tried separating my pipes but they keep finding ways to reproduce!

Preacher1611, Jesla and Shane Arnett like this.
  12. DanielO

DanielO Member

lol Pipes do reproduce. It is proven by the fact that I started out with a six pipe rack a few years ago and now my "pipe rack" is a bookcase. Literally, a bookcase. And now they've started sprouting meerschaums. Will it never end?

But back on topic.... I don't smoke the same pipe more than once a day (cob, briar, or meer), but I have nothing against smoking the same pipe two days in a row. I tried the one-pipe-per-day thing and found I got the gurgles around noon. I am not an extremely heavy smoker, but I like my baccy, so one pipe per day isn't enough. If you only smoke a couple of bowls a day you may be able to get by with just one pipe, but anything more than that seems to require rotation.

13. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

October saw me in Turkey for three weeks, I had two small meerschaums with me - smoked them 'day on - day off' and all day. They were both still sweet when I got back home. One year on the same trip - for some reason, I had just one pipe, a 'Donegal Rocky' bulldog, it handled the workload o.k. got a little damp, but still a good smoke!.....but, we're all different!:)
    OT

Jesla likes this.
  14. CalPiper

CalPiper Member

Usually give the briar a rest for the day once its been smoked. If I have another craving I just grab another pipe. After all, their not going to smoke themselves!

15. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I don't worry about it, but I usually don't smoke the same pipe more than once in a day. At most it's usually three times in a day, and that's not too common, but I don't worry about it and just make sure to give it plenty of time to rest after the workout.

16. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

"Workload"........I like that.....
    Everyday all day 'til you can take no more.....
    Pete 53 saddle bit P-Lip......
    .....I'm a Ford guy, but like Chevy said:
    "Like a Rock"

Rewster66 and Old Ted like this.
  17. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

Personally I will smoke a pipe more than once a day, I seperate by at least two hours per bowl, (at home this is easy as I have a few pipes), out and about however I carry one of my two knock-around pipes. They're both cost $10 or less and they both smoke multiple bowls well! :puffy:

18. shadow

shadow Active Member

Nothing wrong with multiple bowls.
    Although I rarely smoke one pipe more than once per day. :bing:

19. TheKiltedOne

TheKiltedOne Active Member

I don't smoke often but I have been know to put multiple bowl thought the same pipe in the same day. If I do I make sure to give it a few days off after just to be on the safe side.

20. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I may or may not be alone in suspecting that cake is a problem if you want to smoke multiple bowls in a briar in one day. I know different people have different opinions and experiences, and every person and pipe is different....but a major pro-cake argument is that it offers a drier smoke by absorbing moisture that briar would much more reluctantly absorb during the course of a smoke. To that end, an individual smoke may be a little drier than it otherwise would be, but that moisture is absorbed and needs time to dry out for a while before being smoked again, or you risk getting the cake downright soggy and foul tasting, which in turn really is the opposite of what you hope for.

I have two pipes (one meer, one briar) which I wipe out with at least a dry napkin after every smoke. This prevents significant cake build up. The briar smokes pretty dry even without noteworthy caking, and any moisture left behind is wiped up with the napkin as well as the pipe cleaner run through the stem.

I was pushing it's limits right when I got it, smoking at least 3 bowls a day from it for about a week or two consecutively. Over time it seemed the briar did start absorbing enough moisture that it became a problem. But it took a while! Briar itself doesn't seem to absorb very quickly, and you can finish a smoke and clean it up and have it ready to go again in very short order if its not well caked.

I should think in most cases a pipe-a-day rotation would be a non-issue, ESPECIALLY if you inhibit the formation of cake by wiping out the bowl after every smoke. Letting it rest for a day after smoking it is really all that would need to be done to ensure it's fresh every time you smoke it. If you smoked nothing but one blend, or one type of blend, I could see having only two pipes, smoking every day alternating the pipes on a daily basis, and never having a problem with it. A seven day rotation would be even better, but I think two would work just fine - assuming they're made such that they smoke great even without a cake.

Just my two cents.

Jesla likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.