dan tobacco

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by David Emond, Oct 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Hi everyone,

Is Dan tobacco still experiencing a export problem to the states or do they operate the same as esoterica and send in small batches and within a few minutes the stuff is all gone ?

2. cakeanddottle

cakeanddottle Member

No distributor. I think smokingpipes took it upon themselves to order a bunch. I bought a kilo and a half of HV direct from Dan this summer, and even with the high shipping it was cheaper than smokingpipes.

BradNTX and David Emond like this.
  3. David Emond

cool, was it a easy transaction?

4. cakeanddottle

cakeanddottle Member

Yes and pretty quick for Europe.

5. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

It comes in kilos?

I'm getting one.

Morse likes this.
  6. cakeanddottle

cakeanddottle Member

250g bags

7. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

Can you post the info or website you ordered from?

8. cakeanddottle

cakeanddottle Member

danpipe.de

9. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

Thanks!

10. David Emond

wow its easy to order directly from them. just send a email with what you want

thank you for contacting us and for the interest i our products.

Theshipping to canadabe 27 € andfor each kilogramfurther € 5.To register you as a new customer, we need your address, phone number and e mail address.If you want topay by credit cardwe will need the 16-digit number, thevalidity dateand the security code. You also have the possibilityto register onour website andmake the requestonline or you just write us an e mail with the articles andthe part numbers. Please let me know how you want to order. If you still have any questions please re-mail.

Best regards from germany

Mister Moo likes this.
  11. cakeanddottle

cakeanddottle Member

or you can use Google's Chrome web browser, which will translate the German pages into English for you. I just used their cart the two orders I've placed with them.

BigJ and David Emond like this.
  12. David Emond

never did i think of this, thanks a bunch for the suggestion. Ill try it out later on. Hopefully i can get some ironside ohh yeahhhhhhhhh

13. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I believe they DO have a US distributor now - smokingpipes isn't the only one selling their stuff, 4noggins, pipesandcigars and I think also others have their stuff up, it's just that a lot of it does sell out quickly. If memory serves, they've been picked up by Arango. Same company that distributes Esoterica and Butera products.

Lest people blame them for the scarcity of these products stateside, keep in mind they also distribute Robert McConnell and Rattray's products, and if I'm not mistaken also Astley's (they took all the products formerly distributed by XYZ)...so while Germain and Dan may not ship their products to the US as much as we would like them to, and production rate for Germain at least is probably pretty low, the US distributor probably has fairly little control over that.

14. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Oh gosh, I've got to order a kilo of HV! :drly:

15. OldSouled65

OldSouled65 Active Member

Time to get some Old Ironsides :D

ATXPipe likes this.
  16. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

What's freaky is just HOW many blends they offer - and we have only seen the tip of the iceberg on this continent. I sometimes wander through that catalog and just drool....

nesta and OldSouled65 like this.
  17. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Welp, the floodgates are open now. Watch Dan sell out of HV and OI at their own headquarters by this time next week.

And yeah, I think Nesta is right about Arango vis a vis production/distribution/supply side. The distributor, by definition, cannot make up for a flat-out lack of supply, as I believe to be the case with Germain (what a mysterious little tobacco factory). We certainly don't ever have any problems finding Hal O' The Wynd, and that's a real top o' the heap VA in my opinion, and distributed by Arango. I keep wondering if Germain is going to ramp up production of things like Stonehaven, Penzance, Special Latakia Flake, etc., but they may not have the available leaf or the manufacturing capacity to do so. I would love to see more availability of those great tobaccos, but if they aren't able to source the leaf, it isn't worth seeing the product's quality take a dive. I haven't tried HV yet, but OI is great stuff, so I'm sure I'll like it. In that case I may be lining up with you folks to buy a kilo.

18. mtsgsd

mtsgsd Active Member

I just received a pound of Devil's Holiday from mars cigars, with no delay at all.

19. conroygc

conroygc Member

My local B&M store just started carrying Dan Tobacco. They aren't the most pipe-savvy so I assume they must have gotten set up through a distributor.
    So which blends are worth a shot? They now carry Bill Bailey's Balkan Blend in bulk so I picked some of that up, it's good stuff.

20. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Bill Bailey's Balkan Blend....I've never had that one. But I remember a while ago it used to sound like it was pretty well received on here, and often showed up in the "Now Smoking" section. More recently I've read some pretty disparaging things about it on TR. If you like it, that's all that matters, of course - just goes to show it's a matter of different smokes for different blokes!

People seem to REALLY like Hamborger Veermaster. Patriot Flake is pretty well liked, as is Old Ironsides, which is a latakia mixture. Midnight Ride is another lat blend that a lot of people seem to like. Incidentally, CAO was the distributor for Dan tobaccos in the US for a while, and a few of the blends (I think Patriot, Old Ironsides, Midnight Ride, Independence, and maybe one or two others) were actually labelled as CAO pipe tobacco right on the tin art. Then they stopped distributing the stuff and launched their lackluster aromatic pipe tobacco line based on flavors they'd already developed for some reasonably smokeable flavored cigars....that's why Dan stuff was so hard to get in the US for the past year or so, CAO wasn't carrying it anymore and the more popular stuff mostly sold out, and less popular stuff (much of which may still be pretty good) just sat on shelves collecting dust until they were recently brought back to the US market.

Tordenskjold Slices is supposed to be a good VA blend. I bought an old tin of the stuff, the only Dan blend I've bought. I haven't opened it, though. It's an older tin as it is, I'm letting it get more age still before opening it. Hopefully I'll be able to buy a newer tin to try before I dig in to this one, so I can let it gather some real age :)

If you like aromatics, I've heard good things about Blue Note, Milonga, and Sweet Vanilla Honeydew, and some mixed things about Devil's Holiday.

Like I said, I've not had the pleasure of trying any of these yet, but there's no shortage of things that are allegedly very good blends. From the way people talk about them, you'd think they do every style well.

Mount Mandolin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.