Dangit, I did it again

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by jeffbee, Nov 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

I reported recently that my tastebuds had been altered by a medication. That condition has now cleared up, finding me with neither pipe nor tobacco in my truck. I went to the local pipe shop on my lunch hour with the intent to pick up a few sample tins and possibly a pipe. When I arrived, the nice lady there was happy to see me.

I ended up getting 8 tobaccos, 2 pipes, and a Nimrod Sportsman lighter. I found myself coveting the Dunhill gift set at $1800. Now you know why the lady is always happy to see me. I planned to spend under $100, spent $300. I seem to do that at least once a month.

I got some faux 965 and tried it in my "new" Yello-Bole bulldog while driving back to the office. Best day of my life, at least so far this week. It smells like medicine. It tastes like machine-gun grease and moldy canvas tents. If this is what English tastes like, the English are still smack in the middle of WWII and loving it. I had flashbacks to a past life chasining Rommel across the Sahara. I spent the rest of the afternoon speaking with a fake accent. On the way home, I smoked some more. In fact, I'm craving it now...

2. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Sounds like you're back in top form, Old Chap! Absolutely spiffing to hear that, don't you say!

Seriously glad to hear you got "one of those smokes;" they just sometimes happen when everything comes together like a dream and indeed can really make your day. Wish you many more of them, meanwhile....

Scramble Chaps - Bandits at 10 o'clock! Give 'em what for! etc etc

Best to all

Gerry

3. grga

grga Member

So, you're back in the game!
    Enjoy and watch your taste buds in the future!
    :thumbsu:

4. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Actually, you've discovered a trick that I've used for years. Once every couple of months, I'll put the pipes up completely for from three to five days. This clears my palate, and the first two or so pipes is more likely than not, a wonder of taste and pleasure.
    Congrats, and welcome back!

5. grga

grga Member

Hm... Interesting!
    Will try to do that in the future, for sure, tnx!

6. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Glad to hear you're enjoying the pipe again. If I wasn't such a vitamin N addict, I might try giving it a rest a few days a month myself. Those Yello Boles are pretty good smokers, aren't they?

7. cmw00

cmw00 Member

I've been smoking so much English lately, that I came out of a my last smokey haze with a pipe mount attachment for my No. 1 MK III SMLE....

8. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

For a bolt-action, I just hang the GBD "Super Q" out the left side of my mouth. That eye is closed anyway while sighting.

Went back to the pipe shop again today and blew another $100. And nobody to scold me when I got home. Trying out some Mac Baren Plumcake - I'm digging it. Now I have way too many open tins of pipe-fuel.

9. Rider

Rider Member

Enfield fan huh?

if you got a lot of tins open be sure to throw them in mason jars and protect all your new friends :eek:hyeah:

10. cmw00

cmw00 Member

Yeah, but I only actually own a 1950 Longbranch :eek:hyeah:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.