1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Dark Dark .. the Porters of Pipe Tobacco

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Albert, May 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albert

Albert Active Member

Ive been following the SG Black XX thread and have found in my own smoking adventure that my tastes seem to be getting darker and darker. I was wondering what other DARK tobaccos people here really ENJOY? The flavor descriptions like: Diesel, Steak, Oil, Stout are right what Im looking for.

2. Marc

Marc Active Member

McClelland Dark Star, one of my favorites!

3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

SG Black Irish XX is the only one that I've had that those adjectives of yours fit to a 'T'.

Stronger, darker (likely nicotine laden) blends with different adjectives would be SG 1792, G&H Dark Flake unscented, G&H Happy Bogie (I'm guessing...never had it), Peterson Irish Flake,. and Five Bros. None of these come off as carnivorous meal, mind you, but they can be 'filling', just the same.

There are surely others, but I'm limited by what I know, and can think of at the moment.

(Dark Star, Marc? Really? It doesn't cross me as a beefy blend.)

4. Marc

Marc Active Member

He asked, dark tobaccos, Dark Star is most definitely a dark tobacco... looks like strips of tar...

5. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I definitely can't argue that!

6. Albert

Albert Active Member

I really like Petersons Irish Flake, but i could see enjoying it if there was a darker, "burnt" element to it as well ... I def. want to give the Black X a try.

7. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Taste wise, I'm thinking SG Commonwealth, or McC Anniversary. Not too old, or the virginias really sweeten up on you.

8. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

The Old Brit stand-by Condor long cut does it for me. Though I have smoked it off and on since 1966, I have trouble describing it's unique taste. It's got strong dark virginia in there, liquorice and something maybe cough medicine - y too. It ghosts, it's a wet smoker, has a powerfull room note, but Heavens it's one that has stayed the course.

Another of my favourites, particulary in winter is Carey's No & Dark Flake - Carey's take on Revor, which is available in America. Strong dark stoved virginia with a slight hint of spice and an earthy room note. You get a pleasant tang in your mouth with this one - just like when you take the first pull at a pint of Guiness,

Best to all

Gerry

9. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

G&H Dark Flake and Dark Birdseye. Very "meaty" and extremely dark, true tobacco taste.

10. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Old Ironsides, if you can find it. That's like smoking shoe leather. Yum!

Kiowapipe likes this.
  11. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

......agreed on the Condor Gerry - I've smoked it a bit longer than that!, but I think that in America it's like finding rocking horse sh....er....droppings! ;)
    OT

Salcheech likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.