Dark Star advice?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by yinyang, Feb 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I normally wouldn't bother asking this, I'm more of a load and go type, but any tips or tricks with this one? I picked up a five year old tin this week, and figured what the hey...I have been on this site for a year now, might as well celebrate a smidge.

Looking at TR reviews makes me think this may well be the biggest PITA I've yet attempted...

I usually lightly rub out flakes, and prefer them moist, if that matters. Also, my track record with stoved VA's is lackluster...this is maybe a taste thing, something I realize that may not be helped by a few tips. I think my experience specifically with 5105 straight (not a highlight) is what is prompting me to ask.

So yeah, any experience coaxing an ideal experience would be appreciated!

2. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

McCl's Dark Star is rather new to me as well. I have 3 bowls under my belt over the past few days and I find it easiest to smoke in cube-cut form. Mine is thin and broke-up flakes that will crumble/break...............so not really a good candidate for c-balling.

Last night, I filled up a MM General with fairly small pieces of the broken flakes and it smoked cool and fairly tastee. DS, IPO (in Puff's opinion), is a smooth, mild stoved va flake. Just plain good smoke........but it will throw you for a loop trying to figure out how you're gonna load-up unless you're approach is the simple "stuff & puff" method......which would probably work with this toby.

Corn-gratz on your 1 year PSF anni. Enjoy yer smoke & hope that throat clears up for you (or toss the KW into the fireplace...........that'll fix it! )

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Dark Star is so strange. I've had some pretty good times with it by rubbing it right out to just about crumbs and then treating it like Penzance - load the bigger chunks in the bottom and the smaller stuff in the top, just gravity filled and lit.

But it's strange, sticky stuff and tough to find "the zone" with sometimes.

Dry it right out too - the way it's presented you can hardly tell how wet it is, and I think it's pretty wet.

4. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Smoked 2 bowls of DS today. The first one was nice and the flavors were nicely mellow and sweet. This toby is fairly mild on the nic-hit as well. You could (or at least Puff could) smoke this all daylong in a nice big deep bowl and be content. But then, I decided to add some blending oriental (McCl's) to the DS and that smoke (50/50) will be the way I'll smoke DS from now on If the situation permits.

DS burns very slow and cool too. A very good but unique toby. Worth trying and having a few oz's but won't be cellaring more than a few tins or 1/4 lb.

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

5. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

Dark Star is currently one of my favorites. I just smush it all up and cram it into a pipe. It may take a few lights to get it going, but its a durable smoke. You can puff it pretty hard to get it going and then just sip along. The flavor reminds me of roast beef with worchestershire sauce. Never had anything to complain about with this one.

6. yinyang

Oy vey...I'll be getting to this eventually. Bloody headache again. Thanks for the replies, fellas.

7. yinyang

Well, headache be damned, I fired some up. Gravity filled the ' shake' in the bottom of the tin. Half hour dry time is all I gave it too...not enough, probably, but it is burning fairly cool and without relights, something I figured this one would give me fits over. Definitely not a PITA, and definitely worth delving into further as time goes on.

8. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

I smoked that there stuff exclusively for about a year. When the tin arrived, I'd open it, dump it out, break it all up by just grasping and releasing, and put it back in the tin. Biggish hunks will burn fine, but getting it lit was a drag, so I did what you just did-- use the "shake."

Carrying it in a pouch in your back pocket helps break it up further.

9. yinyang

Well, I delved too soon, it appears. Had a horrid second bowl. Don't know what happened, but I got a serious citric/malic acid taste at the onset, kind of like eating sour candy, or sucking on a lemon. It died off, but the damage was done. I had this happen once before with RRR, and it ruined the enjoyment for me. I don't plan on giving up on the tin yet, but man...the aftertaste...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.