Dark Twist Roll Cake Nirvana

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Bear84, Jul 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bear84

Bear84 Member

Grabbed a half dozen or so magic little discs of Dark Twist roll cake this evening, shredded them up and jammed it into the big Nording Freehand. After the first char it lit and didn't go out until it hit the bottom of the bowl leaving a pile of ash and utter satisfaction. I didn't pay any attention to how I loaded it, I literally stuffed and puffed and it was one of those times when all the planets align and the smoke was superb.

I really do like the flavor of the dark twist, there's a sweetness to it that is wonderful, almost reminds me of plums, really kind of a syrupy feel to it. Definitely more tins of that in my future...

David Emond and Ted Vig like this.
  2. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Sounds like a perfect smoke with a great blend! I love those MacB rolls, and you're right, when everything goes perfectly, they are like Nirvana.

David Emond likes this.
  3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Syrupy is, it turns out, exactly right. Dark Twist has a bit of maple syrup and a bit of anise flavoring (if I remember right. There's one country that demands exact ingredients listed on tobacco, and DT was one of the ones the guy had the list of).

Super, super tobacco.

Salcheech, David Emond and Rewster66 like this.
  4. Bear84

Bear84 Member

Maybe the combo of the maple and anise is to my palate where I was thinking plum...

Quickly becoming top 5....

David Emond likes this.
  5. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I'm torn between Dark Twist and Club Blend as my top faves. Club is a little fuller somehow. But they are both wonderful.

David Emond and Rewster66 like this.
  6. Bear84

Bear84 Member

Well now I have to go score some Club Blend and give it a try. Man this list of mine is getting really long and the wallet very short!

David Emond and Mington like this.
  7. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

This stuff is as good as it gets.
    The maple is something I did not realize was there but it makes sense now that I know. It is so so good when you get this stuff lit and just smoke with a slow cadence, you will be rewarded with some of the absolute best flavor that I have ever gotten out of a tobacco. :)

Salcheech and David Emond like this.
  8. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Dang...another Mac B to add to the list...

David Emond, Mington and Rewster66 like this.
  9. Bear84

Bear84 Member

Stuck the sniffer in the jar...maybe more prune than plum to me.. In any event delicious..

10. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

That pruney/raisin sort of smell seems common with some virginia blends, and I kind of think that maybe the fake perique, the "patented cavendish" is what gives it off in this case.

One thing I've never done, and should... or maybe I did a long time ago.... whatever, but it would be cool to separate the black centers and the virginias and smoke them indepently.

11. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

I picked up a tin of Dark Twist just before my big trip a couple months ago now and it ended up being one of the two tobys that I brought with me. Great stuff!

12. mtsgsd

mtsgsd Active Member

My tad list is going to need a second PC soon. :)

Snake likes this.
  13. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

These guys are the most wicked enablers.

14. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

I always keep a MacB roll in the rotation. I switch between Club, DT, and Rollcake. To be honest I'm never sure which one I like best, one day I'll do a side by side by side.

15. Smokingmiami

Smokingmiami Member

On my list for the next time.

Mington likes this.
  16. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

For you guys that like Roll Cake and Dark Twist , you owe it to yourselves to try MB Latakia . It really dosent have hardly anything to do with Latakia as much as it has to do with adding something special to the blend . It's the best :bow:

Mington and Jussto like this.
  17. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

+1 I wouldn't be broadcasting how tasty it is if it were not from such a large and reliable blender, but I would be surprised to hear of a shortage, that reminds me it's time to order another pound!

18. Slow Tri

Slow Tri Is it Friday yet?

Apparently I need to get some of this I believe that I tried it as a new pipe smoker but I don't remember how I felt about this. I just hate to have to buy a whole 100g tin. Oh well, more for you guys if I don't like it.

19. Professor

Professor Active Member

You talking about Mac Baren's 'Latakia Blend' ?

20. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

And I'm finding myself loving some tobaccos I just couldn't get into when I started. It's well worth revisiting, whatever you may have thought before. Need a sample? I found the tin size intimidating, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.