De luxe navy rolls

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Kiowapipe, Oct 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

What's the scoop with this one? I've never tried it but I've been looking. I understand it's basically a Dunhill version of Escudo. Why does it cost 50% more than all their other stuff? Anybody here convinced the premium is worth it?

2. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

I like them both very much....very similar...might be the same thing???.

I buy Escudo.:)

3. shadow

shadow Active Member

My understanding is that the Navy Rolls are a carbon copy of Escudo.
    Escudo wasn't available in Europe for a while so some bright spark had the idea of a Dunhill version. Both tobaccos are highly regarded, and I remember my first tin of Navy Rolls which I was given as a birthday present a few years back: Superb! I used to call it Navy Rolls-Royce but nowadays I smoke it very, very rarely... the high price being the main reason... HANG ON!!!! Christmas is coming!!! Better put that one on my wishlist!!!:D

4. buistd

buistd Sales Account

I have only had a 5 gram sample of Navy Rolls. Absolutely loved it. I guess the sample was from a tin that had been opened a while and it had the same kind of burn characteristics that I found I most preferred with MM965. I too have noticed the slightly higher price and am at a loss as to why (I have seen that Perique is getting hard to come by - not sure if that's true but if it is, its scarcity would warrant a price hike). As it happens in my local B&M the prices of all Dunhill tobaccos seem to be the same.

I would suggest you buy a tin and see for yourself. Whilst it is more expensive than everything else it is still not a huge price to pay - It's not like you're choosing between a Toyota and a Ferrari! Plus - you can pretend you're English for the day by paying extortionate prices for tobacco!

5. Slow Tri

Slow Tri Is it Friday yet?

The higher price is because it says Dunhill on the label. Same thing with their pipes.

6. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

DNR is even higher than the rest of their lineup, though. Most of their standards can be found for less than $10/tin, but DNR is more like $14-15. Oh well. I may give it a try sometime, but I'll probably mostly stick with Escudo.

7. johnhwatson

johnhwatson Member

DNR is more like Orlik Bullseye without cavendish than Escudo.

8. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I smoke both and at times, side by side. They are NOT the same. If you feel they are, good for you. Stick with Escudo since it's cheaper and you can't tell the differences. DNR is way smoother and has a much more sophisticated taste right out of the tin, whereas Escudo needs some age in the tin before it even comes closet to DNR. My 2 puffs and ymmv of course.

Ed
    Puff

Ps. Another big difference is room note. Escudo smells like a very fine high end cigarette burning, whereas DNR has that but with a spice cookie "snicker doodle" sort of baked scent in the room aire. Again, if you can't tell the difference, get the Escudo, it'll age nicely but does need about 6 months or more to compare IMO.

9. troyn60

troyn60 Member

I have yet to try Escudo (a tin of DNR is cheaper at my B&M than is Escudo), but I really like DNR.

10. Beale

Beale Active Member

Heck I just Buy PS Bulls Eye? $$ wise great and a good smoke. A Tin of Escudo is $9.00 at my B&M.

11. Out of Town

Out of Town Member

I wish you guys would stop telling us how cheap your toby is ..... we get bent over the counter everytime we buy it in the UK:moon::sailor:

12. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

It all evens out in the end.... Regardless

Ed
    Puff

13. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

It is more refined than Escudo, but I admit to personally loving Escudo for it's juicy, sharp spiced fig flavour, over Dunhill's more complex 'Leather and Cider resting on Hay' approach. :D

14. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.