1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Deal of the day!

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by LifeOfRiley, Apr 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Active Member

I'm walking through our local antique mall yesterday and came across a few that have pipes. I know they anticipate haggling, but some of the prices were just ridiculous. The prize was a beat-to-hell Yello Bole straight billiard where the stem had been replaced with one from a half-bent Grabow that was loose and the top of the bit was chipped away. Tag price: $15.

2. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Their probably hoping someone may think it's a rare Dr. Yello Bole Grabow and buy it.:xd:

LifeOfRiley likes this.
  3. lifeon2

lifeon2 Member

I have seen the like myself I believe it stems from the mentality that if it is old it must be worth lots of money.

Stonewall likes this.
  4. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

Heckofa deal.

5. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

So.... what did you pay for it?

LifeOfRiley likes this.
  6. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I've seen telescopes and guns that were totally useless junk on sale for outrageous prices. In most cases it would have cost more to restore them than they were worth. I think you're right about the seller's mentality.

7. John Long

John Long Member

Antique mall prices are always ridiculous. They just don't know what they really have and how to grade their junk.

8. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

I was in an antique mall some weeks ago. One display cabinet had an assortment of estate pipes. I had the guy open the cabinet so I could inspect (they wanted $40 each for said pipes). Nothing good in the bunch except one Pete and an old Linkman and they were all so beat up I wouldn't have given $40 for all of them..

9. Klauswermann

Klauswermann Member

I guess there are people that buy them just as display pieces, they don't know, or care to know about the real value... if it looks beat up, then it must be old and precious right guys? lol

10. Tortuga

Tortuga Member

There's an antique store in the next county west of here that has a nice selection of nice pipes at great prices. Sadly, I don't like any of them.

11. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Member

I've actually run into some good deals in antique shops. It depends on whether the sellers know/care about the whole "estate" thing. That said i've also seen madly priced items too.

12. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Active Member

They're out there, but they seem to be rare. I got a couple of excellent deals at another antique shop a few months ago (and left a few behind...hmm). It could be that the good ones get snapped up pretty quickly and all I'm seeing is the junk that's left. I don't get to them that often. And I'd have to imagine that a lot of the more knowledgeable sellers just list on ebay if they have really marketable stuff.

I think you can guesstimate whether you'll find a home run by the quality of the other stuff in the shop. If a shop primarily buys estate stuff from wealthier people, you'll be more likely to come across that Dunhill or custom Danish freehand than if they buy from more modest folk. Of course, there are exceptions in both directions.

13. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

I hang out on Ebay looking at old fishing lures. Some prices are astronomically ridiculous. I mean, these idiots must have been struck by lightning or maybe dropped on their head. Such prople are, "O.O.T.F.M" (Out Of Their F*****g Minds) and should be made to wear a sign around their neck stating such.

IrishRover likes this.
  14. Bent

Bent Member

When you go to an antique shop you will find prices that range from bargain to ridiculous. I recently picked up an estate Kaywoodie in excellent shape, with high quality vulcanite (and smokes better than many high end pipe) and paid 10 bucks for it. Sometimes I find beat up yello booles with teeth marks, cracked stems and such for like 45 bucks, and they are not really that old.

Bottomline: antiquing is fun, but you gotta know a thing or two about what you are buying.

Preacher1611 likes this.
  15. Siv

Siv Flame+Wood=Bad Idea

I blame the internet forums and eBay. I remember looking in an antique store for DE razors and they were all priced at $300. Simply because a rare model would command that price and is so highly publicized, the seller assumes that all equivalents are the same - even though the ones they had were $5 at the most.

Also to blame are people who are too lazy to research. I have seen so many second hand items sold for values that were higher than new! I think antique shops rely on customers who don't know that the item is work and are not necessarily for educated buyers.

16. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

You bring up an interesting point. My wife & I hit antique stores when we can, and also a thrift store here and there. Well now these thrift stores think their antiques stores and the prices are getting ridiculous. Too much Roadshow too much Ebay. Too many stories of people finding a Van Gogh behind that kooky picture of a clown...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.