Dear Penzance,

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by jpberg, Apr 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

We're through. To be fair, you were never my favorite - I was always partial to your cousin Special Latakia Flake, heck, I even thought your other cousin Krumble Kake was pretty attractive. Be that as it may, the rest of the world thought you were the one, and courted you accordingly.

You see, Penzance, even though I've been courting you for years, and holding you up as an icon of mid strength goodness, you've grown increasingly aloof, toying with your admirers, playing hard to get to an extreme point.

To tell you bluntly, I've found someone else. I met her in 2010, and didn't think much of her, she was very shy, subdued even, and although I spent significant time with her, she didn't seem to open to me - there was no connection.

All that started to change in 2011, I visited her a year later, she seemed more receptive, happier to see me, and I left her that year thinking that there may be a future for us.

Well, 2012 was the year. She has blossomed into a true beauty, rich, stout of heart, steady, and always there when I need her. Believe it or not, she's just plain better than you, I never thought that you could be toppled from your thrown, but you've been flat out dumped.

Goodbye, Penzance. Hello Quiet Nights.

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

From someone who bought every issue of Penzance since it came out in 1974, I'm touched by this. I always thought those letters were made up! :ohyh:

I'm a big QN fan myself. Excellent stuff! One of my two or three favorite GLP blends.

3. jpberg

That's funny, Mr. Smut for Brains, I hadn't even considered the correlation.

That is funny though:)

MakDragon and RTOdhner like this.
  4. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

I could see this coming you tobacco harlot.:)

5. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

She's a hussy. You can do better, brother. We all saw what she was. We just didn't have the heart to tell you about it. We're just glad you finally saw it yourself, and we wish you much happiness with your new love.

Forum Running

6. gunsmoke

gunsmoke Member

I tried QN when it first came out I thought it was Just OK. Jarred it up & revisited it a couple of months ago Still just OK. Sorry I like Penzance better.

RTOdhner likes this.
  7. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

I'm a huge Quiet Nights fan, but she had me at hello...

8. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Same here and she (QN) truly gets more alluring and seductive with age.

RTOdhner likes this.
  9. dmkerr

Right on! One of the few tobaccos that I knew from the first puff was going to be a keeper.

10. dmkerr

Thanks, but I already own a bridge in Brooklyn. :ohyh:

11. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Pipe tease....

RTOdhner likes this.
  12. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Good on you. That little minx has been leading me on playing hard to get for a while now. I'd Google her, and she'd say "Hey, sailor, show you a good time" - but then I'd try to click on her and she'd say "No! Out of stock." Effin' tease is what she is!

Ozark Nick, dwaugh and Mike Pomery like this.
  13. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

QN is my mistress in leather. No matter how hard she hits me with the Perique in the undertones, I still can't refuse her call. Diamond Head may just break me of her though, we'll see. I'm getting kind of old for the whips and chains, but the leather seems to get me every time.

14. Siv

Siv Flame+Wood=Bad Idea

Damn it guys I have already spent a years worth of baccy money this month and you are dangling another under my nose... no fair...

15. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Sounds like a ZZ Top song:
    I'm gonna give her a message,
    here's what I'm gonna say:
    "It's all over."
    She might get out a nightstick
    and hurt me real real bad
    by the roadside in a ditch.

16. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

I guess I'm a ****. never could be faithful to one or even a dozen. Who needs a tobacco girl that plays hard to get? I like Ten Ruskies and Private stock better than Penny anyway. QN? Dang, another one to look for. You guys is moider on my wallet.

Mington likes this.
  17. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

GREAT!!! Another addition to TAD!!!!

Mington likes this.
  18. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I'm relieved to hear this actually. I've smoked all of two bowls of Penzance and I'm not impressed whatsoever. I'll take stonehaven over her sister anytime.

19. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

....and you wonder why someone keeps writing "jp's a floozy" on the PSF restroom wall in sharpie.

jpberg likes this.
  20. jpberg

The thing is, I never went out looking for "something better" than Penzance. I have smoked it for a long time and enjoyed it, but I never went into fits if I didn't smoke any for a while. This was simply a situation where, over time, I came to realize that Quiet Nights was the smoke I was going for when I used to go for Penzance.
    I still have a lot more Penzance than I do Quiet Nights, I'll set about fixing that throughout this year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.