decision making time: should i open it?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by skippymchaggis, Jun 2, 2011.

?

Which tin should I open?

1. Age before Beauty!

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. Beauty was a horse! Start with the youngest as a baseline.

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. Use what's already open! Don't be wasteful, and admit you're a stingy curmudgeon!

12 vote(s)
    80.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skippymchaggis

skippymchaggis Member

i'm going on vacation next week. i'm taking my pipes. been a pipe smoker for 12 years, but i'm just coming back to my pipes after about a 5 year break (moved twice, got married, did a lot of travel with work, ...life..., not necessarily in that order) so while I'm comfortable knowing what i like, i don't have the freshest memory of all my favorite flavors.

i have a 5 year old tin of robusto, and a bunch of new tins of robusto, and i currently have a 5 year old tin that was opened 5 years ago and well stored that i've been smoking from (was not in a mason jar though, so I've had to do some resurrecting, and I'm sure I've lost some of the flavors).

i'm debating opening a new tin, but i don't know which one to open.

the 5 year old tin? it should be great, and well aged.

my oldest new tin? i think it's about 4 months old. the tobacco will be in great shape, and i'll get to remember what it tastes like new before i try anything old.

or just smoke what's open. i've got Robusto*, Haddo's*, Fillmore*, Larsen Limited 2011, and a MacBarren HH Highland open. The *'ed blends are all 5 years open, but in great smoking shape, just not what I'd consider "5 years aged." i shouldn't waste good leaves! so rest assured, i will not just pitch the old stuff, it'll just mean i have even MORE stuff open.

thanks for your thoughts! i'll let you know what i decide....

2. telltime

telltime Active Member

Use up the opened stuff, then open two tins... one new and the other old tin. Compare... Then you can decide if you need to buy a few more to store for a number of years while you smoke some other on hand.

3. skaukatt

skaukatt Member

I wrestle with this quite often. I have many, many opened tins (the contents of which are moved to appropriate sized mason jars and will take me years to complete - if I ever am able to) but I have many aged blends, quite a bunch from the early 1990's. I usually wind up just smoking what is already opened or, if I can find a recent rendition of one of the older tins - provided they are still in production - I buy it and smoke that one leaving the older tin to continue to age. My plan is that one of these days I will open up the old tins to enjoy with my two sons and two nephew's (21 and 17 years of age, respectively, as of the date of this post) and treat them to some really fine tobacco. I also look forward to doing the same with my buddies from the pipe club whom I know will appreciate the sweetness of those fine aged virginias.

So this is a dilemma of sorts. I would smoke what you have opened and leave the others to continue to age. Open them on a special occasion. Purchase favorites two or more at a time when you can so that you can cellar some and open the new ones as well - then you will be able to enjoy them now but have a really nice aged blend sometime in the future. Be sure that the tins are dated either by verifying the code on the tin or by writing the date of purchase somewhere on the tin or piece of tape applied to the tin - this is what I do on tins that do not have a date code - but most so-called artisenal blends of today have the date code stamped to the bottom of the tin.

Of course the beauty of this hobby is that there are no real rules - you make up your own rules - so think about it and make a decision, either way you win!

Lou

4. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Well said, Lou.

5. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Get some jars and open up whatever you wanna smoke! Geeze, you own the toby, so smoke what you wish to smoke. Enjoy! I've got close to 300 tins "open"......but they all went to jars so I can choose whatever I wish to smoke nearly whenever I wish to smoke it/them.

Hey, it's your stash, get the most of it!

:wiz:
    Ed
    Puff

6. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I think those of us with a bit of a hoarding instinct wrestle with this often. I know I do from time to time. Especially about opening a similar blend. Like, now I have C&D Burley Flake #2 open, so I wont open a Solani ABF until the other is done. I know I can jar it, but it just feels wrong.

7. Zfog

Zfog Member

I say crack open a tin of whatever you want. Enjoy yourself today, who knows what tomorrow holds.

BradNTX likes this.
  8. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

I agree, live for the day. You bought it to smoke, so smoke it if you want. Open the old stuff if that is what you want.

9. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

It's tough to open old stuff. When you get a bit of time equity in something it's hard to let it go. Of course, this can get to a ridiculous point. I've got two tins of Dunhill MM10, at least 35 years old, that I will probably never open. (I did not buy this new, it was left to me by a deceased friend.) I've got 20+ year old tins of McClelland stuff that I can't see opening anytime soon, and I've got some Pease stuff from the early 00s that I can't open either.

Other than P&W 400, which I smoke almost fresh, I usually smoke stuff that is a couple of years old, that's the way I've been doing it for a while, and it works for me.

If I were you, I wouldn't be able to open the oldest sealed tin.

10. skaukatt

skaukatt Member

This certainly is a good one, as well as a tough one in terms of decision making. You have heard from all sides of the issue so now it is your move - what will you do?????? We'd love to know! Seriously though, inevitably it can come down to what your expectations are of a particular blend over the long haul. For example, at this years Chicago Show my good buddy brought along some 5 year old G.L. Pease Cairo. I had some current issue. We opened the aged tin and you would not believe the difference. It was a though they were two different blends. The blend itself I think is wonderful but the aged version was heavenly good - smooth, soft, sweet - completely changed from the current issue that I brought along and definitely worth the wait. It does make a case for not opening a tin, or at least stowing some away for a while to reap the reward of time. Again, no rules, your decision, no right or wrong answer.

Enjoy!

11. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

It's good to see you posting here, Lou. Tell that deadbeat Liam to stop by once in a while!

12. skaukatt

skaukatt Member

Thanks, jpberg!
    LOL! I hope to see him on 6/14, the next NY Pipe Club meeting, although he hasn't been around in a few months. I'll let him know!

13. CarlBC

CarlBC Member

I voted for 'Beauty is a horse - open a new tin'. Why? Because you're right about the old, opened tin losing some of it's character. By opening a new tin, you can sample what Robusto is like out of the tin, fresh. You can then compare it to the already open tin as well, and see if one or the other suits you better. Then, if you find that the opened tin is a bit wistful in the flavor department, you can always combine the new with the old & weak to get a reasonably nice median.

That was obviously :blah: on my part.

:toast:
    -- Carl

14. skippymchaggis

skippymchaggis Member

Thanks for all the opinions. They all seem pretty similar to the thoughts I had.

It's also nice to see there are so many stingy bastards around. And i mean that in the nicest way, after all, I'm a member of the club.

I think I'm gonna just work on what's already open, and then see where things are at then. I'm the only pipe smoker in the bunch for our week at the beach, so I'm going to just smoke what I have open, because I'd be the only one who enjoyed/experienced the differences, and I bought a couple stogies to share with the boys, so they're not left out, if they didn't get a chance to bring their own.

Luckily, the 5 year old tins are not my oldest, so it should be easy to crack them when it's time. Hopefully the right time will be when I have some other pipe smoking brethren around. Cause even though I'm stingy towards myself, when I splurge, I like to share it with those around me. (I've done that with some vintage port, and it was great. got another bottle of '77 to open with my brother now that he's getting married, and if it's anything like the last one, that is gonna be another awesome evening.)

Happy puffin, and see y'all in a week!

15. Zfog

Zfog Member

Have fun!

16. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Bingo !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.