Decisions decisions

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Omri Pelerman, Oct 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Omri Pelerman

Omri Pelerman New Member

Hello all,

I'm about to run out of tobacco (Dunhill's Early Morning and 965) and I'm looking to get something new. From the brands I've tried, I liked the Peterson University Flake, the Erinmore flake, and of course the Dunhills. I tried Samuel Gawyth a few years back, and I remember it was really good and powerful.
    I want something I can put in a pouch, i.e. not flakes. I'd like to get a single tin to smoke all during the day (I use to smoke the EM in the mornings, and the 965 during the afternoon and evening), so something versatile would do best. I guess I like something that packs taste, but I do get dizzy quit easily, if this should effect your advice. I would stick to the MM 965, but I've been smoking it (and the EM) exclusively for the past couple of years, and changing is in order.
    One last thing: I'm currently living in Florence, Italy, so anything Italian would be a cool way to fill local.

Thanks,
    Omri

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Tobacco recommendations are tough, but I'm curious - why can't you put flakes in a pouch?

I mean, it's certainly fine if you don't want flakes, but they actually take up less pouch space than other cuts, so I was just wondering.

Sorry for the thread meandering.

Old Ted likes this.
  3. Omri Pelerman

Omri Pelerman New Member

That's a fair question, but I have no fair answer. I have this scheme in my mind, in which flakes don't go in pouches. I have nothing against flakes, on the contrary (some of my best friends are flakes). So, flake are a legit recommendation... Thanks!

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Hmmm.... all day, interesting, fairly strong.... for an English type tobacco, I think GL Pease makes some of the best right now - do you have access to those over in Italy? If not, the European brands have all kinds of good stuff - AC Peterson Caledonion 466 (green) comes to mind for an all-day smoke. Fribourg and Treyer's 34th mix is all right.... Really depends on what brands you have access to.

If I can steer you in a slightly different direction: go for a virginia/perique mix through the day and move into the latakia at night. A tin of Robert McConnell's Scottish Cake might put a smile on your face.

Stonewall and SouthBound like this.
  5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

That's a fair answer - putting your best friends in a pouch would be just plain strange! If not illegal. :ohyh:

GL Pease does make some classic latakia blends. Something along the lines of what you're used to might be Chelsea Morning in the a.m and Kensington or Meridian (or Quiet Nights) for later. Most of his blends are put together with an older classic in mind, and you can probably figure out which two Dunhill blends Chelsea Morning and Quiet Nights are modeled after. Not the same but his takes on those two... although more of his idea of what he would want the Dunhill blends to have been, I think. If that makes any sense.

Happy experimentation! :toast:

Stonewall and Spillproof like this.
  6. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

I'll pile on.
    You like 965 eh? Peter Stokkebye's Proper English is very similar, maybe a bit more punchy leather/latakia flavor over the orientals, and it's cheap in bulk.

As Sas said, many GLPease blends might interest you- I'm thinking Chelsea Morning or Lagonda would work. And as long as you're placing a GLPease order, you should get some Telegraph Hill (a VaPer).

Stonewall likes this.
  7. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I agree, G.L. Pease Old London Series of blends may be your cup of tea. I've tried several and love them.

8. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

not sure just what makes a tobacco 'versatile'......the ones I like are smoked all day, and all seasons - so I guess they must be versatile:)
    OT

DGErwin11 and dwaugh like this.
  9. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

Well, if OP is in Italy, I guess Carter Hall is a no go.:old:

10. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

The new MacB HH Old Dark Fired flake. Flake does work in a pouch, and I keep ODF in a little snap shut pouch. The ODF is not "English" in the sense that most Yanks associate with an English blend because there is no Latakia or Oriental in it, but it is very "English" if you think about the Virginia and Burleys found in a good Gawith & Hoggarth blend... just without the Kendall sauce on it. It's certainly priced right for an all day blend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.