Dedicated blends for a pipe

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Nickus, Nov 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nickus

Nickus Member

Firstly I want to apologize if i'm creating too many threads. If I am, let me know and I'll do my best to shadap!:doh:
    I have been smoking a pipe for about a month now, and so I have a small collection of pipes. 2 cobs and a few briars. I'm struggling to learn all the differences between the tobaccos. I'm sure i'm making it more complicated than it is.
    I had been smoking FMOTB in my cob for awhile. Stuff is my favorite right now. But I purchased some 1Q and smoked a bowl of that in the same cob. Now I may be mistaken, but FMOTB is an English blend and 1Q is a VA. The 1Q just seemed lacking in flavor. So my question is this.
    Should I dedicate a specific blend to certain pipes? This pipe only smokes VA's and this pipe only smoke English?
    :bangin: Is there a site where I can understand the differences of all the tobaccos? I don't even know where Burley's come in, or really what it is. I guess I feel somewhat overwhelmed. I'm pretty darn sure that I know the smell of perique. FMOTB has a distinct smell, so I believe that's periqe. Anyway, forgive my ignorant questions please, I just don't know another way to learn but to just ask. Thank you.

browny and Gothicmace like this.
  2. Texhealer

Texhealer Active Member

I tend to dedicate pipes to certain styles, Indeed, English in one Va's in this one etc. but for me it is more about the size and shape of the pipe and what I like to smoke in them.

Ideally a separate pipe for each blend would be optimum but pretty unrealistic for most folks, especially just starting out and trying lots of different tobaccos, I would for sure recommend trying a different pipe for a blend if you had an unsatisfactory smoke from it in one.

None of which is absolutely necessary to smoke a pipe, but it will help to get the most out of each blend.

Ask lots of questions, for some of us it was a long time ago but we all had lots of questions starting out.

3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

As Tex said, I dedicate pipes by tobacco style. It keeps the flavors to the fore. You wouldn't want your latakia tobacco to taste of vanilla, nor your burley to taste of Lakeland sauce, etc etc.

One other comment... if you're rolling along and discover that you don't really enjoy one of your pipes that you've dedicated a certain style to, try it with a different style before you get rid of the pipe. I have one pipe that I had dedicated to latakia blends and I wasn't smoking it much. Turns out it preferred Lakeland blends and smokes them very well. Sometimes as much as I'd like my prettiest pipe to smoke my favorite blends, it just wants to smoke what it wants to smoke.

4. BernardLerring

BernardLerring Active Member

When I first started I used to put whatever tobacco into whatever pipe was to hand, only having one or two in my collection. Now I've acquired a few more, I've started dedicating them to particular styles a la Texhealer. It seems to make a bit of a difference but not overwhelmingly so. It really depends on your resources and tastes. If you've got a particular favourite tobacco or style of tobaccos and a pipe going spare it might be worth trying it out.

As for the questions, Voltaire once said that we should judge a man by them and not his answers, so I say keep them coming.

Eric Pierson, Rockbass and Nickus like this.
  5. Fr Tom

Fr Tom PSF Chaplain

For me anyway, a pipe does not really "hit its stride" with a tobacco until I have smoked 4 - 6 bowls of a tobacco in it. This is not what everyone finds, but it is true for me. I tend not to jump around too much with different blends in a pipe. There are groups of pipes that see only codger burley blends as a rule. These are at the office and by my chair, and they are mostly small bowls that I take in the car, and they migrate from home to office and back. The larger ones are by the computer, and they see mostly Virginia based blends.

6. Nickus

Nickus Member

Thank you guys for your help. I tend to over think things and have to remind myself that there are no SET rules when smoking a pipe. Although there are certain things you should or should not do. Regardless, I've been enjoying it and that's what matters. I think sometimes I learn best with trial and error. My mother would agree with that.

7. Fr Tom

Fr Tom PSF Chaplain

This is it in a nutshell. You figure out what works for you.

Nickus likes this.
  8. hoss

hoss Member

Hey, Nickus. You've just got a whole lotta fun ahead of you.

Burley can be mellow and nutty or rather strong (white burley) with decent body, but they are well known for having good burning characteristics and are an excellent choice for building a cake in a new bowl.
    VAs can range widely in flavors from grassy, tangy to semi-sweet depending on the type (bright, orange, red or brown).
    Perique gives a spicy effect - especially on the nasal exhale, it is a condiment baccy.
    Latakia is smokey (from the curing process).
    Lakeland (essence/sauce) is a perfumed/potpourri type of experience (at least for me).
    Tonquin is another unique additive that is quite distinct in flavor and aroma.
    Deer Tongue is an herb that, again, adds it's own unique flavor to a blend.

The best thing to do is TRY IT ALL, experiment...and definitely DO dedicate pipes to styles. On a side note here, sometimes it takes having an epiphany with a pipe (when the right blend smokes amazingly well in a particular pipe) to find out what to dedicate in it. Additionally, there are times when i will smoke VAs in burley pipes and visa versa, but when i find a pipe (especially morta) that smokes latakia or lakeland or perique well, i keep it for that express purpose. I even have a couple pipes dedicated to specific blends just because it tastes consistently better in that particular pipe over any others. It's a lot of trial and error and experimentation. But that's the fun of it! And adventure for sure.

PM me your snailer and maybe i can help out a bit. :ngty:

9. Nickus

Nickus Member

Wow there is more types than I realized. Thanks so much for the info!

10. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Yep, that 1Q would be more in the aromatic category than Virginia. It has lots of flavoring added, which can be dulled or influenced by other blends smoked in the same pipe.

Eric Pierson likes this.
  11. Nickus

Nickus Member

So aromatics are a category of their own?

12. hoss

hoss Member

That's by no means an exhaustive list, there is kentucky, carolina, turkish (such as izmir) and more - in addition to all the different curing techniques which each impart different characteristics. It can be confusing at first, but let experience be your guide and just realize that there is an entire world of flavor adventure ahead. Take it slow, try what you can, savor what you like and make note of things that put you off for future reference in trying new things as time goes on.

In the mean time, keep reading, learning, experimenting, and most importantly, smoking! My theory is, the more practice the better. Not sure whether that's a theory or an excuse, but either way, i'm stickin to it. ;)

Nickus and Eric Pierson like this.
  13. Fr Tom

Fr Tom PSF Chaplain

One of the things is that you never really know until you try something. I had never really thought twice about orientals until someone sent me a sample of a tobacco containing them. W00t! Or Olam punched my buttons. I then tried Oriental Dusk, et al. It has been interesting.

Nickus likes this.
  14. CoreyR

CoreyR Active Member

To semi answer your question, "aromatics" are usually your really flavored tobaccos; chocolate, vanilla, cherry, or other fruit.
    Non aros usually get their flavor by the blending of different types of tobacco. Sweet Virginia's, spicy Perique, smoky Latakia, and so on.
    Of course, some non aromatics also have casings or toppings yet still are not considered "aros." Then there is a whole gray area of in between where some folks consider a particular baccy to certainly be an aro while others swear that it is not.
    Does that make it clear as mud? :ngty:

Eric Pierson and Nickus like this.
  15. CoreyR

CoreyR Active Member

BTW, when I started out pipe smoking, as a young paratrooper in Alaska, I had one Dr Grabow and a couple of MM cobs. Whatever OTC I found went in em. Gradually I found that somethings worked better in some pipes but I was not stuck on it.
    About the only one I remember "dedicating" was Carter Hall. That went in the cobs. There I was, Standing on a drop zone in snow up to my butt at -40, with a windchill down to -80, puffing away on CH in a elcheapo MM cob. Them were the days!!! :bing:

Nickus likes this.
  16. Jazzman1021

Jazzman1021 Member

Hi to all. Being a mainly aromatic smoker, I don't find the need to dedicate certain pipes to certain mixtures.. Back in my English, Balkan, Vaper Virginia days; but today, unless it something really strong in the aro market. I just fill up and enjoy.

Best to all

JM1021

martydrmr likes this.
  17. TWolf

TWolf Member

18. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I have 2 dedicated aro pipes,
    2 dedicated Va\Per pipes,
    3 dedicated Lat pipes,
    1 dedicated Navy pipe,
    and the rest are fair game for all

Nickus likes this.
  19. beano

beano Member

Just picked up my first lat blend. I asked about ghosting my cobs and B&M guy told me that a latakia can wash out of briar after a few bowls bit will linger in a cob...thoughts?

Gothicmace likes this.
  20. cigarsarge

cigarsarge Active Member

I take a paper towel and clean out the bowl of my cobs after every smoke. Then I clean the stem and airway with a pipe cleaner and some whiskey. Never had a real ghosting problem with lat stuff doing this. I don't smoke lat bombs though. They might cause a ghosting issue.

Hofnar and Gothicmace like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.