Dedicated blends for a pipe

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Nickus, Nov 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric Pierson

Eric Pierson Resident Giant

Great advice here. The only thing I would add to this is don't feel bad about asking questions. You are in the right spot to do it and there is no limit. This is a complicated hobby and I, personally enjoy helping newbies out and steering them away from pitfalls that i went through early on.

2. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

Just remember Medico brylon pipes were made for Mixture 79.

3. Nickus

Nickus Member

Just want to thank everyone for their advice. It's really been helpful. I appreciate it! :)

4. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Active Member

You'll find over time that relationships are formed between certain blends and pipes. All my pipes are now pretrty much dedicated to one specific blend.

I've got a poker that only sees Frog Morton Cellar, a Savinelli tortuga that only sees Mclelland Blue mountain, etc etc :)

Snake and Nickus like this.
  5. Nickus

Nickus Member

I have a limited amount of pipes. But since reading all the posts, I have noticed that 1Q smokes better in my yello-bole than my cob. FMOTB is better in my cob. That is so interesting to me.

6. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I've never put much stock in dedicating certain pipes to certain tobaccos, but, then again, I smoke mostly Burley blends and light Latakia blends, and none of them really ghost a pipe. However, I do dedicate to a small extent.

I have three pipes that I have dedicated to Lakeland blends. The famous "Kendal Sauce" (it comes in several varieties) that is used to flavor various Lakeland blends is notorious for ghosting. When used on Lakeland blends, I think that sauce is wonderful stuff. However, its ghost will ruin any other blend. I don't often smoke Lakeland blends, so when it came time to choosing a pipe to dedicate to them I just picked three of my better smoking pipes that I rarely smoke - with no regard given to shape or size of bowl - and volunteered them for the mission.

I have a unique practice of cupping my hand over the bowl of any flake tobacco that I am smoking, and flake blends are the only blends that I cup over. So, I prefer an Author, Apple, Rhodesian, or other such shape for flake blends because I really like how they fit my hand. I'll take it even further and say that I prefer those shapes in a bent pipe. Any pipe I have in one of these shapes (and I have about eight of them - bent or straight) are dedicated to flake blends. I have a straight MM Great Dane that just purrs along when I'm smoking OGS in it, but that pipe has been "tuned" to OGS so that doesn't surprise me.

While I don't have too much fear that any blend other than a Lakeland blend will ghost a pipe, I do believe that you can "tune" some pipes for a particular blend. Frinstance, I have a Eric Nording signature pipe that is dedicated/tuned to Latkia blends. I got the pipe this year for my 50th birthday, and it just said "Gimme some Latakia" when I first saw it. I've been feeding it Latakia blends ever since, and right now the Latakia blend that I am smoking mostly in it is 4noggins' Baldheaded Teacher. If Latkia blends are smoked exclusively in a particular pipe, that pipe is gonna become tuned to it. In the case of my Eric Nording, I've been smoking nothing but Latakia blends in it for four months now so that "tuning" has also ghosted it.

My Eric Nording has become "tuned" to Latakia blends, and it smokes quite nicely. That goes for any one type of blend and any particular pipe. In similar fashion to my Eric Nording, I have a couple of Pete Irish Army pipes that are tuned for Burley blends. They'll smoke Virginia blends alright, but they just purr when being fed Burley blends like SWR, MacB Golden Extra, or MacB Burley. None of my "tuned" pipes (Eric Nording or otherwise) were selected by any characteristic other than I just really liked how they looked, and for some reason something about them made a particular type of tobacco pop into my head.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  7. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Active Member

I've just essentially saved one of my pipes through breaking my own rule!

I've got a Peterson System with a lovely grain to it (a 313 if youre interested). Its a fine smoker, but it never really clicked with me.

I've smoked nothing but 4Noggins nutty professor in it for the last few months, and was finding myself picking this pipe less and less.

Turns out it just doesnt suit the perique in nutty processor (maybe due to the restricted flow and my aversion to blasts of Perique!). I trued some FM Cellar (my current fav blend) through it and it was a completely different animal :) very pleased to have breathed new proverbial life into this pipe!

Nickus and RTOdhner like this.
  8. Nickus

Nickus Member

This may be stupid to ask but, do you smoke a certain tobacco with a certain pipe based on the size/shape of the bowl?

9. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

If the blend has a high nicotine count, then I use a smaller bowl. If it is a flake blend, then I prefer a Apple, Author, Rhodesian, or other similarly shaped bowl because I have a habit of cupping my hand over any pipe that I am using to smoke flake tobacco - and these shapes feel better in my hand when cupping. Other than that, I've never noticed any difference in shapes or sizes.

My MM Great Dane prefers OGS, but that's just because I happened to break it in with a tin of OGS - and it's now tuned to that. My Pete Irish Army pipes seem to prefer MacB Burley blends and SWR, but that's because they were broken in with SWR and I rarely ever smoke any anything other than Burley blends in them. However, I don't think that these pipes have any intangible or inherent quality that makes them prefer these tobaccos.

10. Nickus

Nickus Member

I gotcha. Sorry for the redundant question. It makes complete sense. Thank you!

RTOdhner likes this.
  11. Gothicmace

Gothicmace Member

I know it's a small picture but you can see I have a lot of cobs. I love my MM Country Gent the best but if I smoke a heavy baccy say like my daybreak which is a really smokey lat blend and then I want to stoke it back up with something light like a VaPer or maybe some CH then all I do is break out my little bottle of 100 proof vodka and remove the tip and scrub it out inside and out with a bristled pipe cleaner dipped in the vodka. I run a clean extra fuzzy cleaner thru the bit and wipe off the outside with a napkin and set it aside. I then re dip the same bristle only now I let the excess drip off a bit and then run that down the stem and into the chamber. I the take the same fuzzy a run it down and after I pull it out I turn it around and do it again to make sure the stem is dry. Now using that same napkin I twist that up in a thick twist and splash a bit of the vodka on it and twist it into the bowl as if you are screwing it down to the bottom. Pull it out turn it inside out and do it again. This drys the bowl out. Then I put the bit back into the stem fill it up and you are ready to rock. I find that unlike whiskey... Vodka does not impart any taste to any of the parts I have cleaned. Wow this turned into a mini novel but I just wanted to share what works for me. I can do this whole process in about two minutes. Of course I can still field strip and assemble my colt .45 in the dark as well.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
    RTOdhner likes this.
  12. Kevin Keith

Kevin Keith Well-Known Member

Glad you're getting it figgered out...enjoy!

13. InAbsentia

InAbsentia Member

"Like what you smoke; Smoke what you like." Always keep this in mind, and don't get too caught up in it. If you find that you like different genres in the same pipe then so be it - some tobacco combinations go well with one another.

Nickus likes this.
  14. craig

craig Active Member

I have pipe bowls dedicated to certain blends ( falcob smoker here) with you being new to smokig it maybe wise getting yourself a clay so you can sample different blends without worry of ghosting.
    Then once you have an idea of your preferred blends a falcon pipe is highly recommended then just swap out the bowls for whichever you smoke :)

15. Nickus

Nickus Member

I don't have a clay pipe and won't be able to get one for some time. Fixing up our house is using up all my time and money. I do have a rock cob though, I haven't used it yet though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.