1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Dedicated pipe for specific english blends?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by gic, Feb 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gic

gic Member

Gents,

I need your advise.
    Does it make sence dedicating briar pipe to each english blends i love? (ie 1 pipe MB Vintage syrian and 1 for Ashton Artisan's) Or it makes no real improvement to have dedicated pipe to a specific English as the flavour is so strong and so similar that i will not feel any difference?
    What is your experience?

Thank you

2. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

My favorite orientals are highly pipe-specific; Macedonian Mixture and Early Morning Pipe always go in the same pipe and Rattrays Red Rap has its own.

The tobacco will tell you one day. I wouldn't worry about trying to figure it out until then.

Archer likes this.
  3. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

If a Toby I really like truly sings in a certain pipe, then I dedicate it.

Archer likes this.
  4. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

gic, it depends on what else you smoke, and how keen your tastebuds are.

5. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

+1 on what Moo said. One of these days, a blend will shine so brightly in one of your pipes, that you will say, "this is a match made in heaven". When that day comes, you will want to repeat the experience as often as possible!

In the meantime, while you are just starting out, and you are not sure yet what you like best, and you're serious about trying various vapers, vaburs, balkans, english, orientals and what have you... my suggestion is that you segregate your pipes to do your experimentation in order to avoid ghosting:
    - a pipe for latakia blends that contain perique, such as Quiet Nights or Epiphany
    - a pipe for heavy latakia blends, such as Penzance or Ten Russians
    - a pipe for oriental or light latakia blends, such as Squadron Leader or Presbyterian

This way, you'll be able to truly tell apart the flavors without worrying that it is a ghost that is adding flavor to the blend. Then when you have decided on one or more flavorite blends, it will be time to start finding which among your pipes is the perfect match.

jpberg likes this.
  6. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

For me, a pipe earns its dedication. Everyone has their own madness about dedication or not but for me, when a smoke is just absolutely fabulous and that level of smoke is repeatable in that same pipe, then i consider dedication.

Ed
    Puff

Archer likes this.
  7. gic

gic Member

All very good points guys, thank you very much

8. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

How did I know you were going to say that?

Dondi likes this.
  9. user2428

user2428 Active Member

Interject M79 reference here...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.