1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Dedicated pipes and ghosts ... a not so serious morning thought

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by ruffinogold, May 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

~Tramps~ I like that.:cool: Gotta few of those myself. Great company, the lot. I actually like the Lakeland blends; I find the floral or sweet scented flavor/smell to dissipate after the initial lighting and give way to wonderful flavor and aroma. I felt Ennerdale smoked way too hot in the clay as well. In fact, I'm wondering if flakes are best for clays at all.

Gary likes this.
  2. Gary

Gary Member

I don't own a clay, but I also like the Lakeland blends that I've tried (and listed above). I think "perfume" is a stretch. Floral perhaps. Ennerdale, otoh, reminds me of pine essence. Erinmore is citrus.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

3. 1858remington

1858remington Active Member

So a pipe that is haunted smokes better:msty:

4. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

So how far can this dedication thing go? I don't smoke at lot of VaPers, but I do like them from time to time and I might smoke a couple of tins per year. Do I dedicate a pipe to a type of tobacco that I rarely smoke? Seems like a waste of a pipe. Or do I dedicate that into a pipe that I use for straight VA's? Again, I might smoke a tin or two per year so that still takes a pipe out of the general rotation.

I smoke a lot of Burley blends, so I have a lot of pipes dedicated to Burley blends. Am I gonna ruin one of my pipes by smoking a light VaPer blend like LNF, Irish Oak, or Red Virginian in one of these pipes? I also smoke a lot English and Balkan blends. Obviously, dedicating a pipe to one of these blends is the prudent thing to do, but do I need to dedicate seperate pipes to English (heavier latakia) and dedicate seperate pipes to Balkan blends (heavier Orietnal content)? And even so, do I then need to dedicate pipes to MacB Plumcake or Solent Mixture, with their healthy Latakia contents but unique flavor profiles? And within this last point, do I need seperate pipes for Plumcake and seperate pipes for Solent Mixture, since both are similar yet not so?

MacB Golden Extra and MacB Scottish Mixture? The former has that wonderful chocolate and nut note that you'd expect from a good Burley, but the latter adds a lot of VA's and a honey-like casing to it. Dedicate yet more pipes? Or is this whole dedication thang pretty much a load of horse shat, and the old Codger notion of just dedicating pipes to Lakeland and Latakia blends - and the rest just forget about it - still just as valid today as it was 50 years ago? Or are pipe smokers with just four pipes doomed to miss out on 90% of the wonderful blends currently on the market?

Or are we driving ourselves crazy trying to keep up with all the various blends on the market, and we just need to find a few that we like and then cellar narrow and cellar deep? (Alice wound up in Wonderland running down these kinds of rabbit holes).

TheMadMan likes this.
  5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Only if you smoke the same blend in it .. maybe

psquared and Mington like this.
  6. Gary

Gary Member

No. Maybe. Agree. Shrug. I think not. Heck no. Nope. Now yer just splittin' hairs. No. Yes! Yes!! Um, no.

Yes, I think so. ;)

Frankly I don't worry about ghosting, but am curious. But the journey of finding that handful of blends to which to dedicate the pipes is a long, enjoyable one, and I don't have the pipes, patience,nor desire to stop trying new blends thinking I've already found the holy grail. I say smoke 'em if ya got 'em. But if you've found the ultimate blend and want to dedicate a pipe to it, have at it.

My reason for keeping the two pipes free of latakia was based on some advise from an old codger who warned that lat,in essence, hangs/ghosts a pipe so best to dedicate a pipe to English blends. Since most of my tobys have lat, I am keeping these two free of lat. and dedicating them to VA and VAPer is essentially because those are my newfound love, so why not?

dwaugh likes this.
  7. Gary

Gary Member

Haunted Bookshop perhaps..?

ruffinogold likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.