Dedicating certain pipes to certain tobak

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by fishnbanjo, Mar 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo Active Member

I have been experimenting with my pipes, firstly I was analyzing which were my top smokers. I generally smoke the first bowl of a newly received pipe with Plumcake as it is a well behaved tobak, has little tendency to gurgle and smoke to ash under normal conditions. If a pipe fails to produce those three qualities with it I place it in the back and will revisit them with something else later.

I got to defining my top 10 smokers as a first step and now I'm trying to match dedicating certain tobak's to certain pipes. This has been my findings to date and I have not identified the top 10 as yet so much good smoking to be had ahead. :)

Tom Richard Morta with Davidoff Flake Medallions
    J. M. Boswell Churchwarden with Kajun Kake
    Poul Ilsted 1/4 bent Brandy with Reverie
    Tanganyika African Meerschaum with bamboo shank with Plumcake
    Anne Julie small Pear with McCranies Red Flake or any VA or VA/Per for that matter
    and almost anything in my cobs!

Mington likes this.
  2. phinz

phinz Active Member

Unless I used a Sharpie on my pipes I'd never be able to keep up with what goes in what. I have one pipe that has a dedicated tobacco and that's it. I can't be expected to remember anything more without visual triggers. :old:

3. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I have 3 pipes I dedicate to Lats,
    2 pipes I dedicate to aro's,
    2 pipes I dedicate to VA\Pers, and
    1 pipe I dedicate to Navy flakes\blends.

4. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo Active Member

I'll now add Troost Slices in the Rolf Baginski poker chip stack with bamboo inserts

Mington likes this.
  5. Texhealer

Texhealer Active Member

I pretty much have two kinds of pipes, some for English blends and some for flakes.
    Small deeper pipes for flakes and larger (tho still rather small) ones for English blends.
    I'd never be able to remember what goes in what either. As many different tobaccos as I smoke I'd need a lot more pipes.

6. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

I do something similar.

I have a spreadsheet (that's right, David, an Excel spreadsheet), in which I have 5 columns. Va, VaPer(Bur), Burley, Lat, Aro. I have pipes listed under each one and that reminds me which type goes in which. I smoke the real ghosters in a cob (mainly 1792 Flake and when I tried Condor). That said, I am still getting to know some of my pipes, so several of them have been shuffled around after being tried with different blends.

7. jhguthlac

jhguthlac Active Member

I only recently started devoting certain pipes to particular blends. NC, Presbyterian and Sherlock Holmes just did not taste right at all in some pipes. So I dedicate a cob to each one. Works for me!

As I generally only smoke a dozen blends, its not that difficult to keep track of pipes & blends.

8. Piperatthegates

Piperatthegates Member

I like to keep my smoking as simple as possible to enjoy the actual smoking. The only pipes I have dedicated are a few pipes, a mixture of briars, cobs and one meeschaum which are exclusively used for Condor and Condor only. Seeing as these days I generally only smoke British type or Lakeland flakes/plugs with the very occasional McClelland, I dont think there is any adverse affect using the same pipes for different tobaccos. I'm only using a handful of pipes anyway and they usually get enough time to rest anyway. My tip is to keep it simple and enjoy. :bing:

9. cigarsarge

cigarsarge Active Member

Git a Falcon dedicated to scented Brit stuff. Got several dedicated to lat stuff...got a Ben Wade Straight Billiard that smokes lats well. I smoe burleys and va blends in the same pipes. Got a new Marty Simm acorn that does flakes well.

10. Eric Pierson

Eric Pierson Resident Giant

I only have seven pipes and have about 40 blends open so I don't dedicate pipes to blends, but genres similar to Jdto above. I do find Plumcake to be best in my sole Meerschaum as well and actually had one of those blissful smokes with it on the way into work this morning. My main seperator between Pipes is Latakia and aros as Vas seem to innocuous yet can be effected by ghosts of the others.

With all that said I have my Altinok Canadian meer and my sav Duca Carlo bent Apple dedicated to Lat blends. A savinelli Roma Bent Bulldog (favorite pipe) dedicated to burleys, Vaburs, mild aros and it handles Va blends great too. A Dr. Grabow Rusticated Freehand for my heavy aros. I just purchased a Savinelli Oscar Dublin that I have been using for Vas and Vapers. Then there is the trusted cob, that gets seldom use, but always gets the Carter Hall. Finally, there is a crappy (?cherry?) wood pipe that I smoke nothing out of, because it makes everything taste worse.

dBear and jhguthlac like this.
  11. zippo

zippo Member

I was doing really good with dedicating my pipes to a genre of tobacco for a wile and now it's mellowed out. I still have my pipes for Lat blends but I started switching up some of my aro and virginia pipes to get the best combo. Either way whatever I smoke in them I try to keep it from being to drastic so I don't get a major ghost in the pipe that will be a pain to get out.

jdto likes this.
  12. Wildcat

Wildcat Member

I have "english," and aro/"english blend (me blending) pipes, but only one pipe so far (a basket Coachman style) that I use for only one blend, Walnut. It was an "english" only pipe, but now Walnut only. It just does such a damn fine job of it!
    [​IMG]

13. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

I'm not a big Va or Vaper fan , only Lat and Burley blends. Whatever pipe I want to smoke is what I do.

Wildcat likes this.
  14. Moose

Moose Active Member

I have a poker that I keep to use just for English blends. The others I just grab as the moment hits me. I smoke aro's in my other pipes mainly.

15. Wildcat

Wildcat Member

Forgot about the burley...

Rodfather likes this.
  16. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I used to dedicate a pipe to a certain tobacco but it got to be too much of a hassle and my palate isn't sufficiently sophisticated to discern the subtleties. Besides, I have about 40 different blends cellared and only about 20 pipes.

Wildcat and Rodfather like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.