Deer Tongue

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by hoss, Jul 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoss

hoss Member

Any deer tongue fans here?

I've been thinking about picking up some blending stock from 4 noggins, but wanted to try a couple blends with this herb first. I've had one before, but can't remember what the heck it was. Not a bad memory though.

Today i was able to procure a couple ounces of Crooner to try. It was directly after a steak dinner and so i'm not trusting my taste buds for the first part of the bowl, but the "vanilla" flavor that's associated with deer tongue certainly came through about mid bowl and it has left a very nice lingering finish that is distinctly not from the cube cut burley. So far, so good. The herb is easy to pick out in the blend - assuming it's the small greenish ribbons amongst the burley cubes.

I'm gonna give it a few more tries in several pipes and if i get a similar result i'll be picking up 8 or so oz of this blend in addition to some bulk DT.

Anyone else have experience with Crooner or DT in general, particularly blending with burley or VAs?

2. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Good job, deer tongue does have a vanilla flavor. Try SG 1792 as well.

3. cigarsarge

cigarsarge Active Member

I have some Old Tartan I smoke on a regular basis...My link

I really like it.

4. hoss

hoss Member

1792 is good as well. I've burned through a couple tins of it in the past, but i do believe the unique flavor in that one is a tonquin additive rather than deer tongue.

VERY interesting. I'm not a huge lat fan anymore, but i still love Gatlin-Burley (regularly) and the likes of Perfection and other lighter English blends on occasion. This one seems to have quite a complex blend. I'm currently preparing an order list and will certainly throw some of this in the mix. Thanks for the recommendation! :stuff:

5. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

I'm a big fan of Deer Tongue though I haven't tried Crooner yet. Was it really made for Bing Crosby? The taste is often described as vanilla but I think that it does vary depending on what tobaccos it's blended with.

My favourite is "Winter Heartbeat" but when I ordered a couple of pounds of it the last time Rich at 4Noggins was telling me there's a problem with supply and consistency now as not over many people are growing it - got my 2 lbs though.

For me large pipe of WH goes excellently with a Speyside Whisky and water as an after dineer smoke btw.

Best to all

Gerry

6. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Member

Crooner is absolutely delicious.It has been my favorite tasting tobacco so far.My only complaint is that it can be difficult to keep lit,and smokes hotter than most other tobaccos.C&D is SUPPOSED to be changing the cut of the burley due to all the complaints of not being able to keep it lit.I have had the best success with Crooner in larger bowls.Just gravity fill and tamp as needed. http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=1&TID=273

7. hoss

hoss Member

Ah, the benefit of thick briar walls! I used the stuff and puff method with it. No scorched fingers and thankfully no tongue bite either. Only one relight (at the bottom of the bowl) which is normal.

I'm usually pretty good at adapting my smoking style to whatever the circumstances in the chamber dictate. If i notice a bowl wanting to go out, i simply cover the top of the chamber with my hand (like a damper) and take a few long, steady puffs. Then maintain as needed. It's worked thus far. :crazysmile:

8. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

so i had a pretty awful experience with gentleman callers earlier today... i'm wondering if its the deertongue or my natural aversion to perique. any input from anyone?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.