1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Delayed Gratification in Burley's?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by maltmonster, Jul 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maltmonster

maltmonster New Member

First off, hello everyone. I've been lurking around for about a year and finally decided to post. The advice I've read on PSF has helped me greatly as far as learning proper techniques and getting past the sometimes frustrating learning curve of pipe smoking. So thanks to everyone who has indirectly helped me!

Now to the topic at hand. The other day I was smoking a burley blend (Macbaren Symphony)on the way to work and left half a bowl of 'baccy in the hot car (90 degrees and sunny outside) for several hours. After work I lit it back up and noticed the smoke had become extremely sweet yet nuanced, I gotta say it was delicious! I know of this with VA blends, but burleys? Anyone have any ideas? Should I roast all my tobaccos in the car? And finally will this cause damage to my pipe?

2. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

A belated welcome to PSF, Malt!

Let me address your pipe question, and leave your burley query for someone else to answer.

Re the pipe, it shouldn't affect the smoking qualities at all! However, the appearance of your pipe may be impacted... leaving a pipe with a vulcanite stem under the sun will (over time) cause oxidation in the stem and cause it to turn grey. Some wood finishes will also fade when exposed to too much sunlight.

Hope that helps!

3. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Welcome, MM! Leaving a pipe in the car shouldn't damage it, HOWEVER, I
    did that with one of my Sav's and when I went out to the car in the evening,
    I discovered it, and stuck it in my mouth. The stem tasted like what tar smells
    like. Try to avoid leaving it there if possible. I'm not familiar enough with
    burleys to give a here-say one way or the other.

Completely OT, what's your malt of choice, and what guitars do you have?
    I love a good Islay, and Glen Deveron is pretty good. Ardmore is the best
    Speyside IMHO. On the six string front, I own three Aerodyne Telecasters.
    Yeah, I peeked at your profile.

dp

4. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

As to roasting one's tobaccos in the car, a fellow named G.L.Pease has got something to say about that in this blog post. The gist of it is that the short term effects may be good, but the long term damage is not pretty. So I suppose if you do it a bowl at a time, and you enjoy the results, why not?

5. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

don't leave tins in the car during the summer. just dont. the tobacco picks up the taste of oxidizing metal if you leave them for more than a few hours, and anything burleyesque gets bitey as heck. never had an issue leaving pipes in the car though as long as they're out of direct sunlight, except a real swampy pipe tends to muck out a bit quicker (stand them on end with a tissue in the bowl).

6. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi and Welcome,

I've been breaking in, not that it needed much work, Sas's Sherlock Holmes pipe which has a large bowl and have used mainly Burley in it for the first week to get it started off well. I've been smoking each bowl in instalments and I have to say to me, the burley does seem to get tastier after a bit of DGT.

Dondi's right about the effects of sunlight causing at the least cosmetic damage to a pipe's wood and stem - I've posted before that there's a small tobacconist in a town near to me called Bathgate and he's had the same two Petersons in his window for two years now - even in Scotland where we tend to wonder what the strange yellow thing in the sky is when the sun comes out, the sunlight has affected these two pies badly. The stems have turned a vile greenish shade and the stain has faded badly on one side of each pipe.

Welcome again and Happy smoking,

Gerry

7. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Welcome to the forum, Malt Monster. I can't think of any tobaccos I've had yet that didn't benefit from a little airing out. I just leave mine out in an old tin on the coffee table.

8. maltmonster

maltmonster New Member

Wow, thanks so much for the fast replies! I kind of figured this was probably not good for the pipe, even though it was pretty well out of direct sunlight - my ashtray is under the dash and cradles a pipe perfectly. I'll just be sure to bring it in to work with me to be safe. Maybe I'll experiment with leaving small amounts of baccy in the car to see what happens.

Snake - I'd have to go with Oban or Laphroig, Bushmills 16 yr. is pretty tasty too, when I'm in the mood for Irish. As far as guitars I own a Martin DM acoustic and looking for a nice 12 string, will probably go Taylor - Their 12's are amazing but I gotta save up for a bit :startle:

9. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Just finished a bottle of Laphroaig Quarter Cask. I prefer Ovations when it comes to
    acoustics, but that's just me.

Okay, back on topic! :yes:

10. Brian

Brian Member

MacB Symphony has a bit of Virginia in it. I think the blend is generally a little sweeter tasting than other burleys that I have tried (in my limited experience). Perhaps a little warming up brought out more of the sugars? I just thought I would throw that into the discussion.

I don't know about the DGT or sunlight aspects, never really tried either, consciously.

11. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Burley is the limit to me [ good burley ] so welcome aboard . I wouldnt cook the pipe or the weed in the car . Try leaving the tobacco in the bowl a couple hours or overnight before lighting it and see what result you get .

12. hoss

hoss Member

Sounds like you got some 'stoving' effect from the baccy sitting in the heat of the car. If you noticed it improved the blend, you might want to try it in the micro or oven. I've done this with several blends that came across a little harsh, but had the foundational flavors i was aiming for. Often times it will mellow it out and give a desirable effect. If using the micro i usually experiment with 8-12 seconds per bowl. In the oven it's 200F for about 3 hours or so.

13. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I pack a pipe most mornings that I am in town and leave it in the cupholder of my truck until lunch. I have two lunch pipes, both Neerups that I smoke Especial De Carlos (aromatic) and Special Blend (English). Both taste really good after being in the warm truck for a few hours. Not to mention the interior of my truck smells wonderful.

One of the things I really like about flying back home, is the smell of my truck after it's been sitting in the airport parking garage for a couple of days. The sweet, earthy smell of pipe tobacco is better than any artificial fragrance!

14. WillH

WillH Active Member

I always understood DGT was about smoking about half a bowl, letting it go out, wait and while, then light it up again. Seems some pipe smokers believe this technique is fabulous for enhancing the flavor of some tobaccos. Dunno.

I have left a pipe for a day and went back to it - can't say it was something I wanted to repeat on a regular basis... Then again I've never put any real study into the technique. I sorta like the pipe to dry out and start over.

BTW, I leave my Cobs on the dash of my pick-up all the time while working out and about. It does them absolutely no good what-so-ever and shame on me for doing it. In my case it's all about being in a hurry and lazy. Anyone ever climbed into a hot pick-up cab after a half smoked pipe has been left on the dash to cook and sour......yuck!

Will

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.