DGT

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by user2453, May 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. user2453

user2453 Member

I tried this today with a bowl of Dunhill flake. I loaded up an entire large flake and smoked beautifully for about an hour. I decided to put it down for a bit and ran a pipe cleaner through the stem and shank and returned a few hours later. The bowl would simply not light. I emptied and repacked and after a few minutes ended up dumping the rest. I smoked a bowl of grusemore plug earlier and let a small amount sit for a couple hours before returning to it only to have the same results.

For people that dgt a bowl do you dry the flake a lot before smoking?

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I dry my flakes prior to loading, whether I DGT or not. Different flakes perform best for me at different moisture levels, so experimentation is the best teacher.

I've not heard of a bowl that wouldn't relight after being smoked awhile and DGT'd. Was the tobacco you emptied very wet? Moisture from the combustion would obviously seek its lowest level and may have made the remaining tobacco too wet. Hard to say without being there, I guess.

At any rate, try the DGT technique with half a bowl left next time and see if that helps. Let us know how it goes.

3. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Can't say I've ever experienced this. And yes, I do dry my flake tobacco prior to packing and lighting.

4. DocB

DocB Active Member

Me either. Never had much of a problem.

Stonewall likes this.
  5. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

My idea of DGT is to pack a bowl in the evening for the next morning, char, tap, light, get an even burn going then set the pipe down until morning, then light her up!

Mington and Stonewall like this.
  6. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I do this quite often. In fact, I'll load up two sometimes in anticipation of smoking them in the following day or so.

7. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Never had that problem either and I too usually DGT the next morning or day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.