DH Light Flake

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Puff The Magic, Aug 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Just cracked a tin and tin note was like "grampa's top drawer, leathery and musty. 16 flakes slant stacked and a nice dark medium to chestnut brown streaks. Very light sugar haze (not sugary). Rubbed out easily, right moisture level to burn right now so I loaded up a nice big Tinsky (Drunk Poker) :)

Flavors initially were of fresh mown hay after a rain. Very mild and clean. Then almost immediately started becoming smoothly sweet and sweeter as if there was a sweet casing of light figs and raisins. Don't recall GAF having the fruity-ness. This is real good smoke! Smooth and sweet. Very mild and enjoyable.

I like it but for what these are ebay'n for, I can get 2-3 tins of GAF! :P

Ed
    Puff

Still sippin' but gettin' pretty close to the end. Very nice smoke.

2. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Maybe that casing is why Serad thought if was an aromatic. Sounds good, though. Even if Orlik didn't exactly duplicate the Murray blend, we could do a LOT worse than GAF. :bing:

3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Cost aside...is there a clear front runner, Ed?

4. Puff The Magic

Smokin' some GAF now and I'll take GAF due to availability, cost, and performance. Hard to beat GAF!

Ed
    Puff

telltime likes this.
  5. telltime

telltime Active Member

Thanks, Ed, for the review.

6. Puff The Magic

Saved the last few minutes of Light Flake to do a simultaneous LF vs. GAF on finish and GAF wins hands down! LF smoked very well and continued on with it's sweetness and then stopped. LF ended with a light ashy flavor and yielded a gray-white ash. Clean bowl bottom. GAF, otoh (literally) smoked smooth and creamy buttery sweet, rising & baking bread and sugar cookies coming through now and then. Smoked that way all the way to the end, no ashy flavor and yielded a more white-ish/gray ash. GAF too smoked clean and dry bowl bottom.

I like Light Flake but I like GAF more.

Ed
    Puff

7. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Wait, I thought Dunhill Flake was GAF?

8. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Dunhill Light Flake was it's previous incarnation, blended by Murray. It came in a rectangular tin (like Erinmore Flake, also previously a Murray blend) and was apparently a bit different than the new Orlik version (just Dunhill Flake, or GAF) in the classier square tin. I never tried the old one myself, which I figured out was William Serad's fault (former reviewer for P&T). Apparently I didn't miss much, though.

There you go, David. All caught up on this little soap opera. ;)

dwaugh likes this.
  9. Puff The Magic

Don't get me wrong, it is really good smoke and if you wish to treat yourself to a different DH "Flake" then, Light Flake is worth considering. At the pricepoint it's at on ebay, it's 2-3 cans of GAF. I believe the recipe of leaf is probably untainted and it's all there but with Light Flake, the "Secret Sauce" is buried within and GAF has no sauce at all! Both great smokes and nice compliments to each other. Plan on smoking a few more bowls of LF and then enter a review unless somebody else beats me....

Ed
    Puff

10. qwik

qwik Member

Why they quit making light, i thought just changed name. Light -->Lawyer thing.

11. Puff The Magic

FDA "thing" is more like it. Certain words (Mild, Light, Ultra-light, Medium, etc) became highly restricted for use in USA and nearly all marketers/manufacturers stopped using it unless it's in their name "Crystal Light" ;) Light Flake is NOT GAF nor is GAF = LF Two different smokes. Noticably different but definitely different.

I've smoked old (Lane-bulk) 965 and new (Orlik-tinned) 965 and both tastes great and I'd say the same. Lane may be smoother but both great and "Same Same G.I."! ;)

Gettin' ready to comparo a few more Murray vs. Orlik on Standard Medium and Nightcrap.

Ed
    Puff

12. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Great review, Ed! Just think what a few years on
    a tin of GAF will do! You've answered my queries
    about it, and I won't bother with scouring the bay
    for a LF tin. cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.