1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Did anyone like Dunhill's Durbar?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by nesta, Apr 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

When I first started smoking a pipe, Dunhill's Durbar was just about my favorite tobacco. I think it was discontinued before Dunhill went out of production, and it is not one of the blends that was chosen to be made when Dunhill pipe tobacco was re-launched.

There are some full tins popping up on ebay once in a while, but I've seen them going for around 30 bucks a pop. Maybe a good idea for something to request for a birthday present, but I'm sure not going to pay 30 bucks for a 50g tin on my own no matter how good it is.

Does anybody know of any companies which make a Durbar match, or have a blend which is just very similar?

2. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

I'll second everything in that post. Durbar was the first quality blend I ever smoked. I can still remember the tin aroma- an unmitigated spicy funk. If anyone knows of any blend-a-likes, I'd love to know about it.

3. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Seems like we just talked about this. I honestly don't remember it all that well, but I remember buying plenty of tins when Murray was producing it. Take a look at Comptons Balkan, maybe Wilke#10 or McClelland Oriental #14.

Edited to add Bill Baileys Balkan Blend, which I think is about the same strength.

4. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I wish I could get some more of it, because it was one of the first I purchased and I loved the taste even though I was -terrible- at smoking a pipe. I would get infinitely more enjoyment from it now....Thanks for the tips, at least now I have some new "must tries" and maybe I'll like them as much.

5. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I bought one tin and it had whiteish (though not fuzzy) stuff on it, which I assumed to be mold (I didn't think it had a high enough sugar content to be crystals). I never took it back because I bought it out of town, and I wasn't going to make another trip to Indy anytime soon. I would have liked to try it, but I didn't want to smoke moldy tobacco.

6. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

If it wasn't fuzzy it wasn't likely mold. Often aged cigars develop a slightly fuzzy, powdery "bloom" which is actually widely considered to be a very good sign of proper aging and good tobacco...perhaps this phenomenon is not unique to cigars but may occur with other types of tobacco? I'm really not sure at all....did it look something like this, but on pipe tobacco?
    [​IMG]
    Bloom, or plume, looks like a very fine, crystaline dust and is usually rather uniform. It is a result of oils in the tobacco rising to the surface of the leaf, whereas mold will be patchy and fuzzy.

7. pottsy

pottsy Member

A buddy of mine loves the stuff. I have never tried it.

8. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Actually, that's pretty close, Colin. Here's the thing: I never got rid of that tin, and though it's pretty dry, I think it could be revived. At this point, I don't want to get to know and possibly fall in love with something I can't get anymore, but you obviously have some fond memories of this blend, so I'd like to offer it to you. Just send me a PM with your address info and it's all yours if you want it.

Herb

9. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

I had acquired two tins of Murrays Durbar by various and nefarious means. By all attestations it should have been my new favorite blend, the genre and producer being two of my favorites, every tobacco I'd heard it compared to being one I'm enamored of, and yet....

Meh.

Tried it a number of times, big bowl, small bowl, straight, tapered, oil cured, air cured, meerschaum and morta. Unfortunately, utterly unremarkable. Accosted an unwary neophyte with the sealed tin, and hid the open one in the hopes that someday I'll finish smoking it. I do not hold that outcome likely.

I'll be sticking to my London Mixture and MM965 when purchasing vintage Dunhill tins from now on.

10. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

doublepost

11. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Wow, it arrived today - that was quick! I'll have to sprinkle a little water and stick it in my humidor for a while, but I have no doubt this can be brought back, it smells great and looks fine to me. Many thanks are in order!

12. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Glad to hear that it arrived safely, Colin. It did still smell good, after all these years. Enjoy it in good health.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.