1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Did I do alright?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Johnny Dingo, Mar 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

Skimming through ebay, I came across this little number:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230753692075?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648

So, did I just get hosed for $14.50? I figured that, even though it's a bit on the small side, this would make a good pipe for sneaking smokes at work or when I visit other smoke-hostile places. Like everywhere.

2. JescoWhite

JescoWhite Member

I think even if it doesn't smoke well it can still be a cool decorative piece to have around. And who knows, maybe it will be a great smoker. Either way it looks cool.

3. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I'd say so.. that's a cool looking pipe. Just like Jesco said.. it looks cool.. even if it doesnt smoke well it's a good decorative piece.

4. Motard

Motard Member

Bargain! Looks great

5. Steve Dennis

Steve Dennis Member

For the price, I don't see how you can go wrong. It's a good looking pipe and if it doesn't smoke well you aren't out of alot of money. If it does smoke well you got yourself a bargain.

6. snowman

snowman Member

I would say that you did very well so enjoy it.

7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

A Dr. Grabow cost 23 bucks or more ... how could you have gone wrong for 14.50 .. it is a cool looking pipe ! Clean her out and fire her up

8. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is in an undisclosed Bunker

Interesting looking pipe, how wrong could you have gone? I'll bet she smokes fine.

Paul

9. Beefcube

Beefcube Member

Honest, I'd $14.50 that any day of the week.
    and if you don't like it .... I call first dibs !

10. Johnny Dingo

Well, the pipe arrived in the mail today. It's in good shape but it needs a helluva cleaning. The stem smells like a tire fire and I'm pretty sure that there is carbon in the bowl that actually predates the European discovery of tobacco itself. That's how dirty it is: it actually violates the laws of space-time.

I love this little pipe. Not a precision instrument by any means but definitely high on the cool-factor. I hope it's a decent smoker.

Off to go research cleaning techniques!

Mike Pomery likes this.
  11. Johnny Dingo

Bough a cheap reamer and some bristle pipe cleaners. Still have to buy some everclear and polishing wax. So far I've only reamed out the pipe, but it is evident that this restoration might take a little more doing than I had originally thought. I'm going to need to buy a cigar to make some pipe mud, as the draft hole is about 5-6 mm above the bottom of the bowl. There's also signs of some burning along the side of the interior bowl wall (very shallow). I'll probably smear some mud on that, too, as a preventative measure. This of course will be happening after I give it a good salt and booze treatment or two. I'll be working on this tonight, during my own little salt and booze treatment ;).

Can I substitute cigarette ashes for that of a cigar when making pipe mud?

12. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Congrats and enjoy!

13. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

I saw that listing myself... if I wasn't broke I was considering dropping a bid on it.. Seems like, if it smokes good, it would make a superb windy day outdoors smoker for strolls through the woods.
    Try using charcoal ash... I mean everyone has a charcoal briquet of two laying around and the ash from it works GREAT for pipe mud, in my experience.

14. Johnny Dingo

I'll look into that. You reckon the ashes from my firplace might work?

15. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

I would imagine so, as long as the ash is very powdery... the finer the ash, seems like, the better and stronger the mud.

16. Chuck S

Chuck S Member

Even if the ash isn't particularly fine, just use a sieve or something similar to separate out the bigger chunks of semi-burnt stuff from the ash.

Darkly likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.