1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Did I do good?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by User3940, Mar 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. User3940

User3940 Active Member

I just won this on eBay for $24.00. Did I do good? Are these good pipes. Sure like the looks of it. The seller described it as a Custombilt Original 630.

[​IMG]

Stonewall and fogpipe like this.
  2. Steve Dennis

Steve Dennis Member

I don't know what brand it is, but you can't beat it for the price. If it smokes well and you like it I don't see how you couldn't have done well!

3. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

I would say you did great. If you look at the pipedia site under American pipes--Custombilt there is a history of the pipe company there. I would have posted the link, but I know copy/paste is sorta against the rules here so I did not. I personally do not own any Custombilt pipes, but there is only one person that needs to be happy with that pipe, and thats you. Congrats on winning it, and I hope you really enjoy it. Heck $24.00 bucks----heck thats a good deal on an American made pipe.

4. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

5. fogpipe

fogpipe Member

Seriously? Its frowned upon to post url's and citations from them?

6. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Tracy Mincer started the original Custom-Bilt pipes it appears in 1934. Bill meticulously details the start of the Company, how it was financed, the changes in the original ownership, how the company distributed its product, the manufacturing process, certain patented items, and other interesting stuff.
    Mentioned briefly in this chapter was the fact that Custom-Bilt was producing big, carved pipes using Algerian briar for production up to WW II. One important employee, Hetzer Hartsock, stated:
    I can tell you something about that rough texture that Custom-Bilt had. One reason rough textured was used was not only for looks but it could hide flaws in the briar. [The process gave] A very uncontrolled cut. Then he [Tracy] would buff it out. [page 25]
    Custom-Bilt pipes retailed between $5.00 and $15.00 in the 1940s. According to an ad, standard Dunhill pipes were selling for $12.00 and $13.50, Parker pipes $7.50, GBD for $6.00 and Comoy's $7.50. Not mentioned was that special Dunhills could retail up to $100 and certain Comoy's up to $25.
    In 1946, the name was changed to Custombilt after Mincer began an association with Eugene J. Rich, Inc. There were some big changes in advertising and distribution. The slogan "AS INDIVIDUAL AS A THUMBPRINT" began at this time as well.
    In the early 1950's, Tracy Mincer developed severe financial problems that caused him to stop making the Custombilt, and he lost the name. In 1953, Leonard Rodgers bought the company and emphasized tobacco pouches and butane lighters.

remington and fogpipe like this.
  7. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

Fogpipe:
    I kinda watch myself with this as Rule #4 states we are not to copy, and paste even when sighting sources. The full outlined rules are listed on the home page, and I don't want to cause any problems, or create any issues with the sight admins..

8. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

If its a Custombilt it's absolutely worth $25. Yes, you did well provided it looks as good as it does photographed. I have several and they are very good pipes. I'd dare say you did great in fact.

dBear likes this.
  9. remington

remington Member

seems like a good deal to me.

10. zippo

zippo Member

I'd say you scored. I love my custombilts and they are all great smokers.

dBear likes this.
  11. User3940

User3940 Active Member

I just converted my PAD from buying inexpensive "unusual" pipes to more refined pipes and turned my focus from unusual to good smokers. This Custombilt is the first acquisition since my conversion and I couldn't be happier.

Got 17 of the 23 pipes that I purchased on ebay sold or traded off, kept 6 that smoke well and are quality favorites, so there is room at the inn for a higher level of pipe purchase. I feel I have graduated to a new level in my noob pipe education. This could be good (my view) :thu: , or it could be bad (wife's view) :$$: .

Stonewall and dBear like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.