1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Did you ever get one of those days?

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Old Ted, Feb 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Thankfully, it very rarely happens - but today is one of those days when my pipes just don't seem to 'cut it' as per usual, various combinations of pipe and tobacco have failed to render the usual satisfaction for some reason. I don't know if it's jaded taste buds, a relaxed and 'sloppy' technique or frame of mind, but nothing seemed the same as usual from my limited 'cellar' or rack.

I suppose the obvious answer - and my next thought, was to leave them alone for a day or so, but things seem to have suddenly taken a turn for the better!. Bear in mind that over here, we are well into the evening and having just had a substantial meal I thought to give a smoke one more try. Well it's amazing how a couple of relatively cheap items did the trick!. I pulled from the cabinet a little MM legend - £4-00 from the news stand, smoked a couple of times then discarded for a few weeks, to complete the duo - I opened a tin of OGS and packed fairly tightly. If this didn't work I would try a cigar!.....but bingo! - cool, sweet and a satisfying compliment to my meal!. I'd tried briars, meers and metals, but the little legend came up trumps today! :ohyh:
  2. buistd

buistd Active Member

Aug 29, 2011
    I get this on occasion, and normally end up reaching for Carter Hall. It's so forgiving that it provides satisfaction every time. CH is my fall-back blend. I don't often reach for it as a first choice but whenever I can't quite decide what to smoke that's when I go for it, and it has not yet disappointed me.
    Brit abroad, snowman and Old Ted like this.
  3. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Yeah, I have days when even some of my fav blends taste flat but then I occasionally have a pipeful that give me one of those ahaa moments.
    Brit abroad and snowman like this.
  4. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2009
    This happens evert 2-3 months for me. I usually don't try too hard, just put everything away for a couple of days. Glad it finally clicked for you though. :appl:
    Brit abroad, snowman and Old Ted like this.
  5. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Yes, I have. And being what I would coin as a, Greenhorn, I've wondered why. How could I smoke a bowl of FMOTT in one setting and absolutely love it and a week later find zero enjoyment in it whatsoever...

I'm ever learning at my juncture, but I've found via unknowingly fumbling about, the right pipe, the right blend, right time of the day, what did I eat prior. These all seem to play a part in my experience from time to time. Its frustrating; to say the least. Especially when you don't have an experienced palate, or knowledge of the craft (my new term for this since art, and or hobby seem to be insufficient).

I've learned through trial and error (as all should be learned, in my humble opinion) or perhaps I'm beginning to learn, how to recognize and overcome this. I haven't had a personal smoking nirvana in some time until today actually. I had loaded a Falcon for my ride in to work yesterday, but ended up in a hurry and grabbed my John Kent Regent with an already half smoked bowl of Frankenflake (mixture of about every scrap of flake in my cellar).

It was quite beautiful today, the cold chill of Winter still on the wind which was going well enough to wear my favorite coat (a B-3 Sheepskin Bomber; an exact replica of the ones issued to the B-17 and B-24 crews in WWII). So I stood there on my deck, jacket half zipped, smoking my Falcon filled with Condor Long Cut, and a cup of Twinings with 2 sugars and cream. I even had my sunglasses on (a must here when the sun is reflecting off the snow).

So I standing there, my Ray-Ban's on, puffing Condor from my bent Falcon w/Dover Bowl (determined I would make that one my Condor bowl yesterday rather than the oversized Dublin) wearing my B-3 and sipping Twinings. Now I live very close to 15 Wing Airbase and the flyboy's were flying maneuvers (they do this all the time) when suddenly it occurred to me, what a coincidence. I had to laugh. None of it was planned I assure you.

But the pipe, the combination of the tobacco and the pipe it was being smoked in, it was one of the moments we sometimes write about here. Tomorrow, I may load a pipe with a blend of choice and the whole thing end up total mediocrity....
  6. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

May 19, 2011
    Most likely it is one of three things. Either it is your mouth, not the pipes at all, or they are oversmoked or not clean enough. If they get 4 days rest ,they won't get oversmoked until they are very old.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.