Different era's of Dunhill Pipe tobacco

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Pschoppy48, Jul 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

I have noticed that there seems to be various era's when it comes to Dunhill blends. I heard the Lane era, Murray era and Orlik era. When these fine blends were at their peak of flavor and popularity..What era was that? Did it stop in the 1980's, 1990's..earlier? I keep hearing that the current blends just don't compete with the older versions and was curious.

Phil.

2. cakeanddottle

cakeanddottle Member

up to 81 Dunhill
    81-04 Murrays
    04 on Orlik

by all accounts all of the blends except one have suffered under Orlik, the exception being Dunhill Flake which may be better than it's ever been

WrightwoodJohn likes this.
  3. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

If the Nightcap I'm smoking now has "suffered," then the old stuff must have been absolutely mind-blowing.

I just got some of the Flake. Can't wait to try it out.

4. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

So the best era, of course, would be the actual Dunhill era. How close was the Murray era to that of Dunhill? Would the Lane era also be the Dunhill era?

5. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

The reason I asked the above question was that back in the 1980's I received a sampler of the Dunhill blends. They were small tins just to sample. At that time, I was smoking Capt. Black and Borkum Riff (hey, I was a teenager..lol). The Dunhill blends were too strong for my underdeveloped palate. I have not had a Dunhill blend since.

I was on a tobacco site and they had tins of Dunhill from the Murray era that they just got in and a member here was offering a tin of EMP from the Lane Era. I just want to know the differences and what Dunhill blends would be worth a try now that I am used to "English" blends.

6. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

I think the Lane era was
    at the tail end of Murray,
    but I could be mistaken.
    I have a couple Lane
    distributed tins, and they
    say 'made in EU'. Probably
    the transition to Orlik.

7. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

So it goes Dunhill, Murray, Lane and Orlik. Finding an unopened tin from the actual Dunhill Era must be like finding gold.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.